It's all Greek to Me

mercyngrace

ὁράω

horaō

hor-ah'-o

Properly to stare at (compare G3700), that is, (by implication) to discern clearly (physically or mentally); by extension to attend to; by Hebraism to experience; passively to appear: - behold, perceive, see, take heed.

πάσχω, πάθω, πένθω

paschō pathō penthō

pas'-kho, path'-o, pen'-tho

Apparently a primary verb (the third form used only in certain tenses for it); to experience a sensation or impression (usually painful): - feel, passion, suffer, vex.

Any chance these words could be used interchangeably?

ὁράω

horaō

hor-ah'-o

Properly to stare at (compare G3700), that is, (by implication) to discern clearly (physically or mentally); by extension to attend to; by Hebraism to experience; passively to appear: - behold, perceive, see, take heed.

πάσχω, πάθω, πένθω

paschō pathō penthō

pas'-kho, path'-o, pen'-tho

Apparently a primary verb (the third form used only in certain tenses for it); to experience a sensation or impression (usually painful): - feel, passion, suffer, vex.

Any chance these words could be used interchangeably?

There are two kinds of synonyms: What I call "perfect" and the others.

The first class is very small in any language, the second is very large.

In any case, using words interchangeably is rare. In this one, I'd have to defer to others who have resources beyond mine, both as to education and research tools. I'm not at home, and my study is purely of the autodidact type.

Lehi

I don't think so. Any allusion to ὁρἀω meaning "experience" would be more akin to experience viewing something-and that even feels like a stretch on its own. Ὁρἀω is a verb of seeing or perceiving. Πἀσχω is a verb connecting being affected by something, or having something done to another thing, whether it be an idea or an action.

I don't think so. Any allusion to ὁρἀω meaning "experience" would be more akin to experience viewing something-and that even feels like a stretch on its own. Ὁρἀω is a verb of seeing or perceiving. Πἀσχω is a verb connecting being affected by something, or having something done to another thing, whether it be an idea or an action.

Awesome! Thank you!

Do you have a specific text or passage in mind, mercy?

I do. :)

3 John 1:11

Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

The definition for seen includes the words by Hebraism to experience. I was wondering if the verse could imply a more intense experience than simply to stare at or behold. If this seeing is what converts one from evil to good then perhaps it is includes the kind of experience that taught Christ obedience.

Hebrews 5:8

Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

It's a stretch, I know...

Archived