Seriously No Politics ×

push a handcart or share the gospel?

How many of you would rather push a handcart or share the gospel? I think alot of us at one point feel like pushing a handcart rather than talking to a close friend about the gospel. I want to hear about people's reservations about talking about the gospel and ways they have overcome them?

for more information and a great study of this topic visit Push a handcart or share the gospel

Share a handcart, then push the gospel. It usually works better in that order.

How many of you would rather push a handcart or share the gospel? I think alot of us at one point feel like pushing a handcart rather than talking to a close friend about the gospel. I want to hear about people's reservations about talking about the gospel and ways they have overcome them?

for more information and a great study of this topic visit Push a handcart or share the gospel

Elder Bevan,

I don't dare click on the link to your blog lest I give you a "hit".

Earlier on in your membership here you stated in a thread you titled "How many hits can you get"...

Hey everyone. I hope this is allowed, if not I am sorry. I am a blogging missionary and it is very new for me to be a blogger. One thing I really need is views on my blog and I am seeing how many I can get. come and support this cause and view my blog.

the blog address is www.elderbevan.blogspot.com

if you want to help further you can even become a follower

You have less than 60 posts, of which, 18 were topics you started.

Now that your thread has been moved to the SH, I won't speak of the narcissism I feel you are projecting. Given your small response ratio to the posters here, I don't expect one from you.

I will ask, just in the happenstance you do "show up for the game". How do you feel your overall regard towards this forum impacts the message you would like to send in a positive way?

Regards,

Mudcat

Edited by Mudcat

Elder Bevan,

I don't dare click on the link to your blog lest I give you a "hit".

Earlier on in your membership here you stated in a thread you titled "How many hits can you get"...

You have less than 60 posts, of which, 18 were topics you started.

Now that your thread has been moved to the SH, I won't speak of the narcissism I feel you are projecting. Given your small response ratio to the posters here, I don't expect one from you.

I will ask, just in the happenstance you do "show up for the game". How do you feel your overall regard towards this forum impacts the message you would like to send in a positive way?

Regards,

Mudcat

For the record, I completely agree, Mudcat. There is something very frustrating about Elder Bevan's posts.

H.

I am "about my fathers business". As a missionary i am here to share the Gospel. Sorry i haven't responded to many people, I am busy. What I am trying to do on this site is share gospel information, isn't that what I am supposed to do as a missionary. I feel as though I have proposed some good questions, and I link my blog so others can look up information if they desire. I put it at the bottom of the page and even write "for more info" i am allowing people the opportunity to excersise there agency and click the link, if not oh well. So I don't really see the problem?

I am "about my fathers business". As a missionary i am here to share the Gospel. Sorry i haven't responded to many people, I am busy. What I am trying to do on this site is share gospel information, isn't that what I am supposed to do as a missionary. I feel as though I have proposed some good questions, and I link my blog so others can look up information if they desire. I put it at the bottom of the page and even write "for more info" i am allowing people the opportunity to excersise there agency and click the link, if not oh well. So I don't really see the problem?

You missed the point of President Uchtdorf's talk.

Also, being an official representative, please take the time to spell check and place questions marks only where they belong. The world is watching.

Edited by volgadon

Please see the board rules:

Proselyting or witnessing from either side. Preaching doesn't create a discussion. It is one sided.

H.

You are misusing this board. Do not post again until you read the board rules and commit to follow them.

what is the difference in what this person is doing and the self promotion that occurs in the "My column" thread in the News forum? It is highly unlikely that Edler Bevan recieves compensation for "hits" i.e. traffic flow, which flow is used to measure the efficacy of a program. However, it is very likely that someone recieves compensation for articles in Mormon Times and (hits) on those articles would be used to determine if the compensation given for the articles is worth it.

While I disagree with Elder Bevan saying "about my fathers business" - I would suggest you read Jesus the Christ and Talmage explanation of that statement, I have a difficult time understanding the his self promotion and the self promotion that is permitted by others on these boards.

Additionally, of those in this thread alone, who have blog links in their signature line, only Elder Bevans has been blocked, why is that?

Edited by frankenstein

what is the difference in what this person is doing and the self promotion that occurs in the "My column" thread in the News forum? It is highly unlikely that Edler Bevan recieves compensation for "hits" i.e. traffic flow, which flow is used to measure the efficacy of a program. However, it is very likely that someone recieves compensation for articles in Mormon Times and (hits) on those articles would be used to determine if the compensation given for the articles is worth it.

While I disagree with Elder Bevan saying "about my fathers business" - I would suggest you read Jesus the Christ and Talmage explanation of that statement, I have a difficult time understanding the his self promotion and the self promotion that is permitted by others on these boards.

Additionally, of those in this thread alone, who have blog links in their signature line, only Elder Bevans has been blocked, why is that?

Frankenstein,

Elder Bevan is serving a proselytizing mission for the Church, and has admitted that his sole purpose here is to share the gospel (as it should be for a missionary). However, proselytizing and witnessing is not allowed on the board, because it prevents further discussion - Elder Bevan, under mission rules, would not be allowed to further any contentious debate regarding what he says.

On the other hand, when someone posts about a recently published article, they are opening the article up for criticism. They aren't necessarily proselytizing or witnessing, and discourse is allowed to flow.

Hope this helps,

H.

ElderDarionBevan,

I would rather have a fun open discussion with a friend about the gospel than push a handcart. However, sharing the gospel in a way the missionaries and probably the Church would like me share the gospel I think I would rather push a handcart, fix the wagons, and experience the beauty of nature.

Biz

Also, being an official representative, please take the time to spell check and place questions marks only where they belong.

I am sorry, english is not one of my strengths. Good thing that is not a qualification to be a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. As paul said "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." I am thankful for that, because when it comes to earthly knowledge and sophistication, I am not great.

Frankenstein,

However, proselytizing and witnessing is not allowed on the board, because it prevents further discussion -

On the other hand, when someone posts about a recently published article, they are opening the article up for criticism. They aren't necessarily proselytizing or witnessing, and discourse is allowed to flow.

Hope this helps,

H.

I guess not a lot of people have actually been reading my posts. All of my post's encourage further discussion. I ask questions to everyone, how is that not discussion. I see no difference in my posts and any others. Maybe I am just naive or something, I just want to give everyone the opportunity to ponder questions that I have been thinking about and then to reply so I can get feedback and others can be edified. What is the problem with this?

Edited by ElderDarionBevan

I guess not a lot of people have actually been reading my posts. All of my post's encourage further discussion. I ask questions to everyone, how is that not discussion. I see no difference in my posts and any others. Maybe I am just naive or something, I just want to give everyone the opportunity to ponder questions that I have been thinking about and then to reply so I can get feedback and others can be edified. What is the problem with this?

OK, let's have a discussion: I think handcart 'vacations' exploit and trivialize the real suffering the early Saints had to endure. Those who sell such vacations, complete with handcart and period dress, are capitalizing on a sacred part of LDS history, and rather than focusing on the sacred, are commercializing it.

Elder Bevan, discuss.

H.

I am sorry, english is not one of my strengths. Good thing that is not a qualification to be a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. As paul said "God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." I am thankful for that, because when it comes to earthly knowledge and sophistication, I am not great.

I would say that one of the differences between your posts and many others....at least in the main forum and In The News section is that yours are written in a style that tends to exclude nonbelievers from the discussion. I would feel quite comfortable hearing your type of questions given in Church, not so much here in the main forum, but fine here in Social Hall. It is not just about creating discussions, it is the type of discussion the opening post sets up that matters when a board has a particular 'flavour' to it. For effectiveness, it generally helps to match the flavour of one's posts to the flavour of the board.

After you have reread the board guidelines as Minos instructs you to do, if you still have questions about how to make appropriate posts, I would email the mods and ask them for how to make your posts fit the board better. In my opinion, this can probably be done by simply posting your comments and links to your blog in Social Hall as there is greater leeway in making personal comments in here if one does so in a positive way, but it would be best to doublecheck with the moderators.

Also you might consider whether this board is a good use of your time if your main purpose is to share the gospel....the flavour of the board might be interfering with the intent of your message to a significant degree.

It also might be helpful if you described in more details your directive in posting on the internet in general and how you've been instructed to find the right places and the right topics to comment about. Posters here might have some good ideas to help you expand your reach in constructive, more effective areas.

Edited by calmoriah

That is no excuse for not making an effort. The foolish things of the world confound the wise as they let the Lord work through them and make up the difference.

The Lord didn't call you to do a second-rate job. He wants you to do your best, and if you won't believe me, then believe the words of the Saviour in Matthew 25:14-30. Paul bears a second witness in 1 Timothy 4:14. Mormon encourages you to do the same in Moroni 10:30.

Of course good English is a qualification for disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. We aren't talking about that. What we are talking about is being called to a specific calling. You are an official representative of the church, and you might be the first (and possibly only) contact some people might have with the church. Don't you think you ought to put more effort into your presentation?

Elder;

23 And I said unto him: Lord, the Gentiles will amock at these things, because of our bweakness in writing; for Lord thou hast made us cmighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing; for thou hast made all this people that they could speak much, because of the Holy Ghost which thou hast given them;

24 And thou hast made us that we could write but little, because of the aawkwardness of our hands. Behold, thou hast not made us mighty in bwriting like unto the brother of Jared, for thou madest him that the things which he cwrote were mighty even as thou art, unto the overpowering of man to read them.

25 Thou hast also made our words powerful and great, even that we acannot write them; wherefore, when we write we behold our bweakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall cmock at our words.

26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: aFools bmock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.

28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that afaith, hope and charity bringeth unto me—the fountain of all brighteousness.

29 And I, Moroni, having heard these words, was acomforted, and said: O Lord, thy righteous will be done, for I know that thou workest unto the children of men according to their faith;

Never let your weakness in writing, or anything, trouble you, when the Lord is on your side. His work will go forth. Now it's time to do it. I shall provide discussion if necessary. But learning how to do so would be an excellent thing, that it would.

I am sorry again for my bad english. I will try better, but to be a disciple of Jesus Christ one must have faith, repent, be baptized, and endure to the end. Proper english and grammar were never a requirement, atleast i could never find it in scriptures

This is not about being a disciple of Jesus Christ. All believing members of the church are disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. You however are an official representative of his church. As an official representative you should strive for professionalism. Your English is important, as your writing is what people see of you. Just as you wouldn't wear a wrinkled shirt with the top buttons undone and the tie hanging loose there is no reason for sloppy English when presenting yourself online. I'm not against you, I want you to succeed.

It seemed like a fair enough question to me. Yeah, I'd much rather push a handcart than share the gospel. Truth is I can't think of anything more unpleasant than sharing the gospel. Sometimes I look back in awe at how I ever was able to complete my mission. I mean, if someone were to come to me and ask what I knew about Mormons and if I could help them find a church, I could share with them. But sharing the gospel really means, door knocking, straining the limits of friendships, and lots of hurt feelings that you'll live with as long as you live in that town. Is it still sharing when nobody asked us to share and asked that we please not give them our message.

This has always been on the doctrines that left me skeptical of the Church. We've offered to share our message. The world has for the most part rejected it. At that point, it should end. Young missionaries shouldn't be ordered to continue to bug those people. And God should judge those who refused to hear his word through his prophet. The kingdom will roll forth with one. Judgement time should be over by now.

Well the only thing I see wrong with the idea of "they rejected it once so now they are damned and we shouldn't share it with them again." is the fact that we love them. They are our brothers and sisters and we should care enough about them to share the gospel with them again and again. Just imagine if God did that to us, "oh they broke one of my commandments and I forgave them once. Now they are damned" God loves us and he will always give us another chance. We should not give up on those who may have rejected the gospel once already. We as missionaries work through former investigators as well and I have seen huge success in talking with them again.