president Packers health;

jadams_4242

I noticed last conferance president Packer looked very ill; this time he still loks ill and couldnt sit up straight; and needed to have a special chair to sit at the podium; before and after his moving to his regular seat the camera turned away? were they carrying him, was he limping? what was going on?:P

Elder Packer was just newly called to the 12 just four years after I was baptized, and I kind of looked to him as a measure of how long I had been a member. I imagined that, as young as he was, he might be the President of the Church when the Lord returned. This appears unlikely now.

I really liked his talk today.

I noticed last conferance president Packer looked very ill; this time he still loks ill and couldnt sit up straight; and needed to have a special chair to sit at the podium; before and after his moving to his regular seat the camera turned away? were they carrying him, was he limping? what was going on?:P

Elder Packer did not want to sit down with a portable podium this time around, as he has in times past. He's getting old...of this there is no doubt. He sat in a regular office chair that had a high lift on it. Elder Packer rested his feet on the chair's supports. If you've ever participated in proxy confirmations in the temple, it is not all-together different from the type of chairs used by the confirmers.

Elder Packer did not walk into conference. He had a personal assistant with him who wheeled him in with a wheelchair. Rather than wheeling him up directly to his chair on the stand, Elder Packer stopped him about halfway and asked to walk the rest of the way (with assistance). As he went up to the podium, the camera panned away until he was situated in his chair, and as he was leaving the podium. I can't say that I blame him. It would be embarrassing if there was a fall, but there wasn't one during this conference.

Also, Elder Hales was wearing leg braces and was using a walker. During the standing portions of hymn singing, he was held up by Elders Holland and Oaks. From the looks of things, Elder Hales appeared to be in much poorer health than Elder Packer. I have a grandfather who has, for well over the past decade, been in the same health condition as Elder Packer and hasn't been able to stand at the pulpit. Nevertheless, he bears a powerful and useful testimony of Christ in a way deserving of admiration and respect.

I can understand why they don't make much mention of or allow attention to be drawn to their own health issues----they don't want to become the center of attention, they don't want their health, etc. to be distracting, they want the message they are there to deliver to be front and center at all times.

I can understand why they don't make much mention of or allow attention to be drawn to their own health issues----they don't want to become the center of attention, they don't want their health, etc. to be distracting, they want the message they are there to deliver to be front and center at all times.

:P

Guy's 86. What do you expect?

The interesting thing is that L. Tom Perry is 2 years older than him, and seems quite healthy. It is always interesting to watch the video after a GC session because almost half the apostleship needs canes or walkers to get off stage. This is the downside of a life calling, eventually all the quorum members age and have various health issues.

The youngest Apostle is Elder Bednar at 58, the average age of the Apostles is 73.67 years. It is expected that some members are going to have mobility problems. It does appear though that President Packer only needs his chair for talks, he can walk with the aid of a cane, but it appears that he needs the chair because he cannot stand for prolonged periods of time.

As other stated I also noticed that President Eyring also appeared pretty shaken and frail this conference, he was in my prayers. I hope he is simply a little under the weather, and that there is no serious health problems!

Archived