Seriously No Politics ×

The Sabbath Day

Rivers

I may have heard wrong, but I think I may have heard L. Tom Perry say something that I took kind of hard. If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard him say that we are supposed to wear our sunday best all day on Sundays. My shirt and tie comes of very quickly once I'm home from church. Sunday dress isn't the most comfortable attire.

Such a rule seems a bit like the sabbath rules and traditions that Jesus spent much time denoucning. Where do you draw the line between proper Sabbath observance and being a pharisee?

I may have heard wrong, but I think I may have heard L. Tom Perry say something that I took kind of hard. If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard him say that we are supposed to wear our sunday best all day on Sundays. My shirt and tie comes of very quickly once I'm home from church. Sunday dress isn't the most comfortable attire.

Such a rule seems a bit like the sabbath rules and traditions that Jesus spent much time denoucning. Where do you draw the line between proper Sabbath observance and being a pharisee?

I think you misheard him, I recall him specifically saying that Sunday Best need not be worn until sundown. It appears his comment were more directed at the trend of not wearing Sunday Best to services on the Sabbath and other important meetings or temple worship.

As far as I understood he was not advocating or counciling anyone to wear Sunday best all day (though he didn't council against it either if that is the individual's desire).

No, I believe he said that it wasn't necessarily required that we wear Sunday best all day...

GG

Where do you draw the line between proper Sabbath observance and being a pharisee?

Well seeing that the Pharisees were hypocrite that taught one thing and did another, I guess the line would have to scripturally be drawn at Elder Perry showing up to sacrament or the weekly meeting of the Apostles in the SLC temple in shorts and flip flops.

The reason why Christ spoke against the Pharisees was there hypocrisy, his problem was with them expecting one standard from the people and not following that standard themselves.

Such a rule seems a bit like the sabbath rules and traditions that Jesus spent much time denoucning.

You heard wrond.

Just to be clear and to alleviate any concern you heard wrong.

Right when he spoke about Sunday dress, he immediately followed with saying Sunday dress is not required for all of Sunday. I leaned to my neighbor and said "I am so glad he made that qualifying statement otherwise too many members would think we have to/ are required too/ must wear Sunday clothes all day on Sunday"

Elder Perry did not say you must, should, or are encouraged too wear your Sunday clothes all day long.

I just want to get the correct information out there before a misheard/misapplied statement becomes Mormon Myth Gospel Law.

That phrase caught my attention because i know a family which used to, and as far as i know still does, require everyone in the family to remain in sunday best for the entire day.

When I heard Elder Perry say that, it made me wonder how it was received by families such as those, who do something that is probably not well received by the kids and which has been proclaimed as unnecessary by an Apostle. :P

I just don't understand parents who require this of their kids. My kids are supposed to change as soon as we get home. Those fancy dresses, white shirts and dress pants are not made to be worn by kids eating food. Sunday best dress for kids is too expensive to risk food spills and getting worn out from kids being kids. Generally, these clothes do not stand up as well as regular clothes to repeated washings. Admittedly I will sometimes stay in my dresses, just because at times they are actually comfortable, especially on a hot summer day.

I just don't understand parents who require this of their kids. My kids are supposed to change as soon as we get home. Those fancy dresses, white shirts and dress pants are not made to be worn by kids eating food. Sunday best dress for kids is too expensive to risk food spills and getting worn out from kids being kids. Generally, these clothes do not stand up as well as regular clothes to repeated washings. Admittedly I will sometimes stay in my dresses, just because at times they are actually comfortable, especially on a hot summer day.

I avoid wearing dresses as much as I can on Sundays too. :P

Archived