Seriously No Politics ×

Unqiuely LDS Insults

It didn't help that my wife's folks are anti-LDS to start with.

But, my parents-in-law hate me.

I don't mean that they dislike me in a very stong fashion, I mean they pray for my death and for my eternal soul to be consigned to hell for the rest of it's unnatural existance.

This stems from some major disagreements between them, my wife, and myself. They feel they should be able to abuse my wife verbally, and not apologize for the molestation they forced upon her when she was younger; and my wife and I disagree.

As you can imagine this has caused a major rift. It's to the point where my wife's parents attempted to take my wife's son (my step-son) from us last year with the help of my step-son's father. We had hoped that with the court case finally being over back in early Feb that this would have blown over and life would return to it's usual quietness.

Instead of being quiet, the parents-in-law are having the abusive Ex-Husband (father to my step-son) move in with them. We assume that it would be in hopes of seeing their grandson on a regular basis. However, we have all but blocked that due to the evidence that the court appointed custody evaluator found against the parents-in-law.

I'm not a Melchezidek Preisthood holder, but I admit I would be washing my feet if I felt it would have an effect upon them. It's to the point where I would gladly reserve their temple work in my name, and then refuse to do it during my lifetime. I refuse to speak with them about the gospel.

I would never be cruel enough to the missionaries to send them to the home of my parents-in-law. It would be like sending two innocent lambs to the slaughter at the hands of two rabid lions.

I've also considered sending my mother-in-law the following: (link) & (link) Matthew 18:6

What LDS specific insults or disrespects could be shown to them?

Edited by ELF1024

Um...not sure how to respond to something like this. I don't know of any LDS specific signs of disrespect or insults and I am pretty certain the church would frown upon those ideas.

It sounds like you have limited dealings with them now since the court founded in your favor and your step son is not allowed to see them (I think that is what I am reading).

Easier said than done when we are feeling this angry and hurt, but I would personally just try to have as little dealings as possible with them. Don't speak ill of them (or the father) to your step son. Pretend they don't exist as much as possible.

Um...not sure how to respond to something like this. I don't know of any LDS specific signs of disrespect or insults and I am pretty certain the church would frown upon those ideas.

It sounds like you have limited dealings with them now since the court founded in your favor and your step son is not allowed to see them (I think that is what I am reading).

Easier said than done when we are feeling this angry and hurt, but I would personally just try to have as little dealings as possible with them. Don't speak ill of them (or the father) to your step son. Pretend they don't exist as much as possible.

That is our current plan. I was really hoping they would just fade away into the static of life, but they refuse to go away. It's very annoying.

That is our current plan. I was really hoping they would just fade away into the static of life, but they refuse to go away. It's very annoying.

It sucks to deal with in-laws you don't like very much. In your situation it is almost like ex-in-laws as it sounds like your step-son's father has become more their child. You will most likely have to deal with them in some capacity or another until he turns 18 if not longer as there will be weddings and grand babies.

For a long time my husband thought that if we moved, it would mean we would have to deal with it less, but in the last 6 months or so, he realized, that although the interaction will become less the older my daughter gets, it will not go away completely. And just for the record, I have a decent relationship with the ex and his family, we just don't agree on lifestyles (drinking/drugs/responsibility/what you allow your child to watch/etc). So I would guess that what you are dealing with must cause a lot of stress.

Sorry for that.

What LDS specific insults or disrespects could be shown to them?

I know that you are very angry and that your are a victim at the hands of your in laws, but stooping to there level isn't the answer. There is no insults nor revenge you should seek, especially if you seek to try and prevent them from receiving proxy temple ordinances after they pass on. If it doubtful that with there attitude in life they will ever receive eternal life in the celestial kingdom, but also realize it is a commandment of the Lord to forgive everyone that harms us and to show love and compassion towards our enemies. This act of revenge you contemplate will not hurt them any more than there wicked lives have already hurt them, but it will limit if not prevent your ability to enter the celestial kingdom also. If we do not perform these ordinances for our deceased relatives we cannot receive salvation ourselves, we need to perform this work for them to also be saved, we are all saved together or not at all. This is the Spirit of Elijah, we must turn our hearts to our deceased fathers (and father in laws) and them turn there heart to us or we all are doomed.

As I see the pain and hurt your wife and you feel, I think of the savior, he suffered this terrible affliction already. He wants to comfort and uplift you in this time of pain and not to resort to contention. Only the devil wants us to feel contention toward our fellow man, we know that contention is from the devil (See D&C 10:63).

I think the following article from this the March 2011 Ensign would help you during this time of your life. http://lds.org/ensign/2011/03/learning-to-forgive?lang=eng

The article is called learning to forgive, it is the powerful testimony of an fellow saint who through the power of the atonement found the strength and courage to forgive parents who sexually abused her in her youth. She even did there temple work for them after they passed away. It is a powerful and difficult thing to do at times, but unless we always forgive those who hurt us, Heavenly Father will not forgive us. (See 3 Nephi 13:15)

So as one Saint to another, I would beg you to have faith in the atonement and not seek to get revenge for those who have wronged you. Seek the savior and pray for those who do evil against you, if they seek your cloak give them your coat also. LTo love one's enemies is to find the peace that contention can never bring!

It sucks to deal with in-laws you don't like very much. In your situation it is almost like ex-in-laws as it sounds like your step-son's father has become more their child. You will most likely have to deal with them in some capacity or another until he turns 18 if not longer as there will be weddings and grand babies.

For a long time my husband thought that if we moved, it would mean we would have to deal with it less, but in the last 6 months or so, he realized, that although the interaction will become less the older my daughter gets, it will not go away completely. And just for the record, I have a decent relationship with the ex and his family, we just don't agree on lifestyles (drinking/drugs/responsibility/what you allow your child to watch/etc). So I would guess that what you are dealing with must cause a lot of stress.

Sorry for that.

I get along quite well with my ex-wife and her parents. I think I might actually get along better with them now than I did when we were still married.

If somebody, even family is harassing you, then the only thing I can suggest is severing ties. I will be honest that hearing any sort of this to this makes me very angry, and now I feel like I'd be willing to pray and wish death on these people. But we know that it's not the Lord's way. If they are abusing your wife, then perhaps the only means is by severing ties, and perhaps getting the law involved. Of course this will just get them more angry, but if they are that delusional, then perhaps it's the safest thing to do. If you have proof they are praying for your death, perhaps that is grounds for a restraining order and perhaps a court order for a psychiatric evaluation.

Hello ELF...

At the risk of stating the obvious... I encourage you to study the importance of forgiveness. The Lord has told us that He will forgive whom he will, but of us it is required that we forgive everyone. (D&C 64:10)

You are bitter and angry right now, but I encourage you to find a way to remove the sword from your hand and turn to the Lord and follow his admonition on forgiving... otherwise, it is you, ELF, that will suffer the consequences. I encourage you to turn to our KJV Topical Guide and look up "Forgive, Forgiveness" and you will see just how important it is for you to forgive those who trespass against you. If you don't, the sin will be upon your head... and this is made amply clear in the scriptures.

Good luck, it's not easy I know, but this is part of exercising our faith and becoming Christ-like... Good luck.

GG