Seriously No Politics ×

Naming Buildings in Honor of Donors

paulpatter

". . .when ye shall do your alms do not sound a trumphet before you, as will hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have the glory of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But when thou doest alms let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth; That thine alms may be in secret; and thy Father who seeth in secret, himself shall reward thee openly. --3 Nephi: 13, 2-4

It seems to me that disregard for the Savior's counsel--at least by some donors--is much in evidence. On the BYU campus alone, many buildings (and scholarships/programs/colleges/centers as well) bear the names of those who have made major gifts to the University; i.e., Bean, Redd, Marriott, Fulton, etc. Unqustionably such gifts--and similar gifts to nonprofit institutions nationwide--are benefitting society.

In the case of BYU and other Church institutions, I think it's legitimate to ask if "advertising" one's charity is consistent with the Savior's counsel. Some fundraisers defend naming entities after donors on the ground that doing so attracts similar gifts. There is probably some truth in that; still, that rationale doesn't change the Savior's admonishment.

I will appreciate your thoughts.

I heard a story in sunday school about a person who wanted to donate money for a building somewhere but the donor required that the building be named after him/her. In this scenario, I agree with you, its probably wrong. On the other hand, if the recipiants decide to name the building after someone without the donors request then I see nothing wrong with it.

I heard a story in sunday school about a person who wanted to donate money for a building somewhere but the donor required that the building be named after him/her. In this scenario, I agree with you, its probably wrong. On the other hand, if the recipiants decide to name the building after someone without the donors request then I see nothing wrong with it.

Interesting thought. Note, however, that it would be highly unusual for a charity to name a building (or some other entity) after a donor without the donor's approval. What typically happens is that the charity offers a "naming" opportunity as an incentive to attract major gifts. It's a powerful incentive because the donor's name will have exposure in perpetuity (or at least for as long as the charity exists). Some donors, though, want to give anonmously--not always because they seek to follow the Savior's counsel, but because they don't want hordes of charities beating a path to their doors. And some donors use the "naming" opportunity to honor not themselves, but a departed loved one.

I should add that I did not mean to criticize the donors mentioned in my initial post. I do not know the circumstances that led to their generous gifts, and I can only assume that they acted with true charitable intent.

Interesting thought. Note, however, that it would be highly unusual for a charity to name a building (or some other entity) after a donor without the donor's approval. What typically happens is that the charity offers a "naming" opportunity as an incentive to attract major gifts. It's a powerful incentive because the donor's name will have exposure in perpetuity (or at least for as long as the charity exists). Some donors, though, want to give anonmously--not always because they seek to follow the Savior's counsel, but because they don't want hordes of charities beating a path to their doors. And some donors use the "naming" opportunity to honor not themselves, but a departed loved one.

I should add that I did not mean to criticize the donors mentioned in my initial post. I do not know the circumstances that led to their generous gifts, and I can only assume that they acted with true charitable intent.

I am thinking... perhaps we should name the building after Christ/Heavenly Father, etc or those sorta things... that'd be okay, no? =D.

Mwhahaha plotting =).

Archived