Seriously No Politics ×

Caffeine

That's interesting--so, like tobacco is good for cattle bruises, maybe it would be good to smear some coffee or tea on your skin before a hike in the forest...or maybe not.blink.gif

No cause caffeine can be absorbed through the skin, and apparently some soap and shampoo manufactures use caffeine in there products (I am guessing to increase repeat sales through the addictive nature of caffeine).

Yeah, and another vindication that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, there was no was for him to understand that the addictive chemicals in coffee and tea, were harmful to one's health. He could only of received such knowledge from God!

What about decaf and herbal teas, where there is little to no caffeine? The body is able to process some toxins.

We avoid caffeine because it is a stimulant... and we avoid stimulants in general.

On my occasional long drives into Portland or Salem, I drink a caffeine soda like Mt Dew, Pepsi, etc., and eat several chocolate squares... I don't fall asleep (a problem I have had as I've become older, particularly the last couple of years where I've had several close calls of dozing and crossing the center line...scary not only for me but for those I might harm).

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

What about decaf and herbal teas, where there is little to no caffeine? The body is able to process some toxins.

Good point. We know that herbs are good. From Gospel Principles ...

'Fruits, vegetables, and wholesome herbs are good for us. We should use them with wisdom and thanksgiving."

So, the wisdom part along with the Spirit would help someone decide.

Decaf coffee is generally understood to not be allowed (because it's not the caffeine in the drink that is makes it forbidden-it's just forbidden in general).

Herbal tea is allowed because it doesn't contain actual tea from the tea leaf.

Caffeinated drinks are allowed per the WoW-individual members decide where that line is for themselves.

One other thought is for people that might consider decaffeinated items, where the Caffeine is removed is that once it is removed, it can be sold and put into other products. So, one might consider that he/she might aiding in the manufacture of that substance which is put into other substances.

We don't know why coffee and tea are banned. Caffeine is NOT banned by the WofW or official interpretations thereof.

Maybe in the past. But, in my opinion, it does at least go against the spirit of good health, which was the focus of the Original Post (OP). I was simply, happily pointing out that it

Yeah, and another vindication that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God[.] [T]here was no [way] for him to understand that the addictive chemicals in coffee and tea, were harmful to one's health. He could only [have] received such knowledge from God!

What's the link between Smith and caffeine? I'm not following.

Anyway, did he have anything revealed to him about tea (especially green) being something of a miracle drink, with countless health benefits? I'm just wondering, in a quiet, social-hall kind of way.

Edited by krose

Joseph Smith recieved the Word of Wisdom in 1833

Also this below ...

Personal Revelation: The Gift, the Test, and the Promise.

Boyd K. Packer - October 1994 Sessions

Your body is the instrument of your mind. In your emotions, the spirit and the body come closest to being one. What you learn spiritually depends, to a degree, on how you treat your body. That is why the Word of Wisdom is so important.

The habit-forming substances prohibited by that revelation

Yeah, and another vindication that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, there was no was for him to understand that the addictive chemicals in coffee and tea, were harmful to one's health. He could only of received such knowledge from God!

not exactly, soda as we know it was not around during his time. Also, we do not know the why we can not drink Coffee and Tea, lastly, it is not a good idea to make up reasons when God has only said "Hot drinks are not for the belly".

The DC do not mention tanic acid, caffeine nor anything concerning Coffee and Tea, and when given the WoW was not a commandment that every member had to follow.

Those who drink non caffeine diet sodas should also be aware that Aspartame which is used to sweeten also started out as an insecticide.

Also Compare to normal Sodas, Diet sodas can(over a year of regular use) lead to weight gain moreso than normal caffiene sodas due to it keeps the water in easily.

Those who drink non caffeine diet sodas should also be aware that Aspartame which is used to sweeten also started out as an insecticide.

also artificial sweeteners are not removed during the water treatment process, which means in not so many years, our water supply will taste like a diet soda.