Seriously No Politics ×

How was Baptism restored?

inquiringmind

Must you be an Aaronic or Melchezidek priesthood holder to administer baptism?

And who was Joseph Smith baptized by?

A Priest of the "Aaronic" Priesthood can baptize, other then that you must be an Eldr or higher.

Joseph was baptized by Oliver Cowdery.

Must you be an Aaronic or Melchezidek priesthood holder to administer baptism?

And who was Joseph Smith baptized by?

Yes, one must hold the office of Priest or higher in the Aaronic Priesthood or be ordained into an office of the Melchizedek Priesthood and have the permission of there priesthood leadership, to baptize someone.

Without permission from one who holds the keys to the ordinance (which is the Mission President for converts and the Ward Bishop for children of members) and someone who is holds the proper priesthood the ordinance cannot be done on Heaven as well as on Earth.

Joseph Smith was baptized by Oliver Cowdery in May of 1829, prior to performing the baptism John the Baptist appeared to JS and OC and conferred them the Aaronic Priesthood. Joseph first baptized Oliver, then Oliver baptized Joseph. Following this Joseph ordained Cowdery and Cowdery then ordained Joseph.

68We still continued the work of translation, when, in the ensuing month (May, 1829), we on a certain day went into the woods to pray and inquire of the Lord respecting abaptism for the bremission of sins, that we found mentioned in the translation of the plates. While we were thus employed, praying and calling upon the Lord, a messenger from heaven descended in a ccloud of light, and having laid his dhands upon us, heeordained us, saying:

69Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah, I confer the aPriesthood of bAaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and ofcbaptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth until the sons of dLevi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in erighteousness.

70He said this Aaronic Priesthood had not the power of laying on hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, but that this should be conferred on us hereafter; and he commanded us to go and be baptized, and gave us directions that I should baptize Oliver Cowdery, and that afterwards he should baptize me.

71Accordingly we went and were baptized. I abaptized him first, and afterwards he baptized me

68We still continued the work of translation, when, in the ensuing month (May, 1829), we on a certain day went into the woods to pray and inquire of the Lord respecting abaptism for the bremission of sins, that we found mentioned in the translation of the plates. While we were thus employed, praying and calling upon the Lord, a messenger from heaven descended in a ccloud of light, and having laid his dhands upon us, heeordained us, saying:

69Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah, I confer the aPriesthood of bAaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and ofcbaptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth until the sons of dLevi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in erighteousness.

70He said this Aaronic Priesthood had not the power of laying on hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, but that this should be conferred on us hereafter; and he commanded us to go and be baptized, and gave us directions that I should baptize Oliver Cowdery, and that afterwards he should baptize me.

71Accordingly we went and were baptized. I abaptized him first, and afterwards he baptized me

Does this mean Joseph and Oliver were ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood twice? Once prior to baptism and then again following baptism?

Yes, twice.

It is interesting that Joseph (and Oliver) chose, were we to assume that this was a fraud, to have John ordain them, rather than baptize them. In a case where the person was just making it up, most people would go for the big bang: have the resurrected, beheaded (in mortality) angel do the ordinance. But Father only does for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. In this case, the baptism was something Joseph and Oliver could do if only they had the Priesthood. Supplying this was the easiest means to get the mission accomplished.

However, in ordinary circumstances, one must be baptized prior to receiving the Priesthood. To restore the correct order, after baptizing each other, they ordained each other.

Also, please note that John explicitly said he was acting under the aegis of Peter, James, and John who held the keys of the higher Priesthood, and who were his, John's, superiors in the Priesthood.

Lehi

Yes, twice.

It is interesting that Joseph (and Oliver) chose, were we to assume that this was a fraud, to have John ordain them, rather than baptize them. In a case where the person was just making it up, most people would go for the big bang: have the resurrected, beheaded (in mortality) angel do the ordinance. But Father only does for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. In this case, the baptism was something Joseph and Oliver could do if only they had the Priesthood. Supplying this was the easiest means to get the mission accomplished.

However, in ordinary circumstances, one must be baptized prior to receiving the Priesthood. To restore the correct order, after baptizing each other, they ordained each other.

Also, please note that John explicitly said he was acting under the aegis of Peter, James, and John who held the keys of the higher Priesthood, and who were his, John's, superiors in the Priesthood.

Lehi

That was my guess, and I, too, have found it interesting that John the Baptist wasn't the one to do the baptizing--something you might initially and/or naturally expect for someone making it up.

Thanks for the reply, Lehi.

That was my guess, and I, too, have found it interesting that John the Baptist wasn't the one to do the baptizing--something you might initially and/or naturally expect for someone making it up.

Thanks for the reply, Lehi.

I recall a talk by a mormon/jewish guy (Irving Cohen?) who felt that "John the Baptist" was a Greek name that John would probably not appreciate, as he would prefer something like Jochanon ben Zachariah ha'Cohen... which could be why (according to the heading to D&C Section 13) he introduced himself as "John... he who was called John the Baptist in the New Testament..."

Archived