Finding love on Kolob (LOL)

DH

Don't know why the hymnbook claims the music to "If You Could Hie to Kolob" is an old English tune--it sounds more Irish to me. Sure enough, here's an Irish version sung by the Orthodox Celts. Enjoy!

Near Banbridge town in the County Down,

One morning last July,

From a b

Also, Praise to the Man sounds a bit like "Scotland The Brave". I am waiting for somebody to come up with a hymn set to something more modern. Anyway, it seems that old hymn writers were like the Weird Al of the churchgoing world.

Thank you, Nack. "Star of the County Down" is a latecomer. The tune was apparently Scottish and used for the ballad Gilderoy. The tune was published by an Englishman, Thomas d'Urfey, in "Pills to Purge Melancholy"' from the beginning of the 18th century. As you've shown it was used for the English song "Dives and Lazarus" a retelling of Christ's proverb.

Honestly, half the songs people consider Irish aren't.

I'm a folkie.

Also, Praise to the Man sounds a bit like "Scotland The Brave". I am waiting for somebody to come up with a hymn set to something more modern. Anyway, it seems that old hymn writers were like the Weird Al of the churchgoing world.

The tune used for both is the same. Scotland the Brave isn't that old either.

The tune used for both is the same. Scotland the Brave isn't that old either.

That explains why both kick butt when done with pipe and drums.

• 2 weeks later...