Seriously No Politics ×

why does evil and suffering occur?

with the recent disasters in japan, alot of people have been thinking and even asking " why does god allow evil and suffering to occur?" there are some great answers and some great scriptures that talk about this. Also what is your opinion on it?

To read the scriptures and answers to this question visit Earthquake in Japan. Why?

Earthquakes happen because tectonic plates shift under the earth

with the recent disasters in japan, alot of people have been thinking and even asking " why does god allow evil and suffering to occur?" there are some great answers and some great scriptures that talk about this. Also what is your opinion on it?

To read the scriptures and answers to this question visit Earthquake in Japan. Why?

Because God does not care enough to stop them

God does not will earthquakes, floods, droughts, or other natural disasters. Prayer asks God to change us to change the world.

Because God does not care enough to stop them

This is inferring that God can hurt us if He wants to. I personally would have a hard time worshipping this kind of God. I was recently at a seminar where I was told a story about a priest's sister who worked at the 1st foundation of Mother Teresa in Calcutta and also ran a Aborinal health care center in Australlia during her young life. An unfortunate accident made her a quadriplegic for the last 33 years. So what? God needed another quadriplegic? If anyone answers yes, I have a REAL issue of worshipping this kind of God.

God does not send accidents to teach us things, though we can learn from them.

God does not will earthquakes, floods, droughts, or other natural disasters. Prayer asks God to change us to change the world.

This is inferring that God can hurt us if He wants to. I personally would have a hard time worshipping this kind of God. I was recently at a seminar where I was told a story about a priest's sister who worked at the 1st foundation of Mother Teresa in Calcutta and also ran a Aborinal health care center in Australlia during her young life. An unfortunate accident made her a quadriplegic for the last 33 years. So what? God needed another quadriplegic? If anyone answers yes, I have a REAL issue of worshipping this kind of God.

God does not send accidents to teach us things, though we can learn from them.

did not say he caused them just said he does nothing to prevent them which he could if he wanted to

did not say he caused them just said he does nothing to prevent them which he could if he wanted to

You stated 'He doesn't care enough to prevent them.'

My God is holy and perfect in love. So if God could prevent things from happening if he wanted to, what does that that when he doesn't prevent them? To me that's not being 'perfect in love'.

My God is holy and perfect in love. So if God could prevent things from happening if he wanted to, what does that that when he doesn't prevent them? To me that's not being 'perfect in love'.

then why does he not prevent the bad things, is not all knowing and all powerful?

then why does he not prevent the bad things, is not all knowing and all powerful?

Because sometimes we need bad things in order to learn good ones.

If we didn't every flunk a test, it would be difficult to learn to study if you know what I mean ;-).

What trips us up is that we only see a narrow slice of the big picture. We only see our mortal experience on earth and don't see the vast pre-mortal and post-mortal worlds. God sees it all. He does not cause these disasters. They happen because we live in a Telestial world. We knew we'd be tested before we came here and yet we agreed to come. IF GOD INTERVENED EVERY TIME, He'd destroy our agency. Sometimes He intervenes and if we are listening to Him, we can escape the calamity. Sometimes He lets us get slammed, then sends His comfort and healing powers through the Spirit and the Atonement and it's up to us to receive them. Adversity teaches some of life's greatest lessons. Whatever He does, He is on our side, giving us the best shot at exaltation.

What trips us up is that we only see a narrow slice of the big picture. We only see our mortal experience on earth and don't see the vast pre-mortal and post-mortal worlds. God sees it all. He does not cause these disasters. They happen because we live in a Telestial world. We knew we'd be tested before we came here and yet we agreed to come. IF GOD INTERVENED EVERY TIME, He'd destroy our agency. Sometimes He intervenes and if we are listening to Him, we can escape the calamity. Sometimes He lets us get slammed, then sends His comfort and healing powers through the Spirit and the Atonement and it's up to us to receive them. Adversity teaches some of life's greatest lessons. Whatever He does, He is on our side, giving us the best shot at exaltation.

Good LDS answer.

I'm not sure why the mods moved this to the social folder. I guess I'll refrain from responding.

so i should not protect my children since I want them to learn right? Bring on the badness....extreme sarchasm

Evil is a manmade thing (Free Will). Suffering is a mortal state; Buddha taught that

Because Heavenly Father allows such things to help us grow, he know his children and knows that while we cannot see the good from our limited and mortal understanding that is infinite and eternal understanding has provided a way for this tragic event to allow his children to grow closer to each other and closer to there Father in Heaven.

Elder Bevan,

When the disaster happened I wondered, "Why not let this happen to South Korea or Iran?" First of all I sincerely believe that disasters, both man-made and natural test us, and even prepare us for the 2nd coming. There is opposition in all things, and it would seem that there are truly some bad things happening in the world on this subject. But remember there has to eventually be an opposition of equal power. A positive outlook will no doubt occur.

A quote from Elder Joseph B Wirthlin's talk, "Come What May and Love It"

"The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."

Japan will recover, and be even better than it has.