Seriously No Politics ×

Mudcat's Mom has passed away.

Mudcat

It happened yesterday at 4am. She had gotten pneumonia and it overcame her in the Lord's time. She was only 71 and had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for 9 years. She was blessed that the disease progressed so slowly. Though she has been having major cognitive problems for the last couple of years. Though her mind really started going this past October... behavior changes and so forth. She still managed to have some good moments. It was even at Christmas this year, she still knew the names of the grandchildren.

The bottom fell out in January though. Over the last 3 months she dwindled to 80lbs, lost any relevant cognitive function and her failing body caught up with her failed mind very quickly.

She was a great Christian woman who lived a life of service to her family, her church and her community in so many ways.

I got a PM from a dear friend, who happens to also be a Facebook friend as well. I posted something on facebook about my mother's passing yesterday. Hopefully, she won't mind me maintaining her anonymity but also using a quote from her PM.

I wish that sorrow wasn't part of life at times like this. I am so glad that you have such a wonderful family (wife, children, dogs) to help you thru everything, but you also have your MADB (or whatever the board is called now) family that loves you as well.

Emphasis mine. After reading it, I felt I should post something about Mom passing. So many of you are such good friends and I think some of you would like to know. It's hard for me to talk about it in any lengthy respect right now. I didn't know things could be so hectic with arrangements for services, extended family and so forth.

It's keeping my mind occupied, which is good I suppose. But aside from that, I am a bit of a basket case. We knew the end was close. I thought I was prepared for it.

Another very dear friend and poster here, sent me a PM offering his sympathy. In a portion of my response, I wrote.

When things started looking grim a few days back.. well I thought I would be prepared for this.

I wasn't. Life assails us with blows from time to time that we can't prepare an adequate defense for, no matter how much previous warning we have.

I am a bit of wreck right now actually. Bouncing between moments of clarity and grief. I'm sure it gets better over time.

Mrs. Mudcat, the two oldest Mudkittens and myself are having a rough go with it, our youngest Jon Christian isn't quite 2 yet and isn't at a stage where these concepts have much meaning. Keep my family in your prayers as we go through this.

I am quite thankful that through Christ, even these emotionally cloudy days have a silver lining.

Love all you guys and gals,

Mudcat

as a side note. I will mention something a couple of things.

We had visited with Mom several hours earlier, before she passed. I brought out my guitar and the family sung her, some of her favorite hymns. She was in a comatose state and even though her mind didn't likely make sense of much of what was going on. I know her spirit must have really enjoyed.

Our youngest Jon Christian made a simple and profound statement that summed up so much. As we were leaving he patted his Grandmother's (he calls her Mamaw) hand and said, "Mamaw's tired...she's tired."

My sister had flown in from a meeting in DC late that evening and was with her when she passed. She called me a few minutes after Mom had passed and told me to drive Dad to the nursing facility.

Though it was 4 am, I was already awake. Jon Christian had woken me from sleep just a few minutes before the call. I though he was crying and went to check on him. He wasn't crying at all, but laughing in his sleep instead.

The other two kiddos were spending the night at my MIL's already. So we got up hastily and dropped Jon Christian off with my MIL (he calls her Nana) on the way to get my Dad. As I was unloading Jon Christian, I told him we would be back and that I was going to see his Mamaw.

He said, "Mamaw's home." several times....

I dunno, it's all speculative of course... but I sort of think little kids seem to be able to touch the spiritual much better than the grown ups do.

One cannot know what type of mother you had mudcat, but by your posts and the method by which you generally comport yourself, she must have been extraordinary. You remind us of how fagile family ties can be in this life. I hope for the best for you and your family.

Take care friend, I know its hard but be at peace, we both know how blessed she is and where she is now.

2 Cor 5:1

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :P Prayers for your family. During a time a grief, that's when I realized how powerful love is and that no one can be replaced.

Mudcat... I'm so sorry for your loss. Surely you know how we send our thoughts, prayers, and certainly our love to you and your family during this difficult time.

GG

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time. Take comfort in the knowledge that we have a Heavenly Father who knows and loves each one of His children and will reunite you with your Mom in His time.

I hope things will be going better for you in the next few weeks mudcat, my heart mourns for your loss. You are in my prayers, and I am think your mom is very happy that I do, I hope.

May peace bless your life =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

Edited by TAO

Ah, Mudcat, I'm sorry to hear it, though our faith tells us that ultimately it's ok, especially for your sweet mother.

I lost my mom last year, and my wife's mom passed away just last month.

Hang in there and thank God for your remaining family.

HiJolly

I'm so sorry mudcat. :P

I think that losing a mom or dad would be so hard because you never grow old enough not to still need them. It doesn't matter how much we try to prepare, or how much we know it's their time, or how much we wish them peace and health on the other side-i don't think anyone can ever be ready to let a loved one go.

My prayers are with you and yours.

Sincerest thanks for your kind comments, prayers and so forth.

We just got in from the funeral home about half an hour ago. The visitation stared at 5 and was supposed to end at 9. However it was almost 11 when the line of visitors finally cleared.

Given the crowd, comments, and so on. She was well loved in these parts.

I went a bit numb after the first couple of hours.. and will sleep better tonight than the last one.

So very sorry to hear this, Mudcat. Prayers and sincere condolences to you and your family.