two kinds of singles?

Duncan

In the Doctrine and Covenants section 132:16 it reads as follows,

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

As I understand it if people don't have a chance to get married here for whatever reason (just never meet anyone they love, geographical reason, etc) and they prove faithful they can get sealed to someone in the next life but what kinds of singles is the above verse talking about? is it reffering to people who had a chance to get married but never took it and knowingly never took it?-Put another way how would someone pass up the chance to get married and yet qualify for what this verse is reffering to?

I know people who should never ever get married, they are just meanies or just plain weird people but how do they account for marriage in the life to come?

It's people who never get married - and choose not to get married in the next life as well, perhaps - permanently choosing of their own will not to be married forever. Those are the people being referred to.

Best Wishes,

TAO =)

In the Doctrine and Covenants section 132:16 it reads as follows,

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

As I understand it if people don't have a chance to get married here for whatever reason (just never meet anyone they love, geographical reason, etc) and they prove faithful they can get sealed to someone in the next life but what kinds of singles is the above verse talking about? is it reffering to people who had a chance to get married but never took it and knowingly never took it?-Put another way how would someone pass up the chance to get married and yet qualify for what this verse is reffering to?

I know people who should never ever get married, they are just meanies or just plain weird people but how do they account for marriage in the life to come?

This verse in the context of the surrounding verses makes it appear that if one gets married but do not do it in the church then there is nothing they can do and they cannot be married in the next life to come. It kind of resounds a general lack of more information because we have since learned that people on the other side, who were married by worldly vows can get sealed over on the other side.

So if you want to get married but don't for whatever reason or shouldn't you'll get that chance then?

Precisely. Everyone will get the chance to be married either in this life or the next. After death we can also still choose to be married or not to someone and have the ability to change our mind or choose someone else.

So if you want to get married but don't for whatever reason or shouldn't you'll get that chance then?

I've asked this question before, and basically it becomes a tension between what the scriptures actually say, and what we want to believe (see post #5).

But the idea that there are people who will qualify for all the blessings of the Celestial Kingdom but knowingly choose not to attain the highest degree of exaltation only by refusing to be sealed to a righteous partner is very interesting.

But the idea that there are people who will qualify for all the blessings of the Celestial Kingdom but knowingly choose not to attain the highest degree of exaltation only by refusing to be sealed to a righteous partner is very interesting.

My Dad, going through a bitter divorce before he died, contemplated this.

I think it is interesting too, yet possible; perhaps there is someone who can relate to such a preference. Or perhaps there are other impediments to exaltation than not being sealed to a spouse, such as the quality with which the couple keeps that covenant on earth or has prepared to retain it in eternity. I think it is possible that a sealed couple could continue singly in the next life because they never sufficiently accepted all the requirements for sealing or exaltation in this life or the next while they had the opportunity.

But if they are willfully choosing to not be married, they, according to LDS theology, are willing going against a commandment of God. If they are willfully going against a commandment, how in the world to they qualify for Celestial Glory? The more I study 132 they more it doesn't make any sense.

They would know their shortcomings per 2 Nephi 9:14, and they would know their opportunities per D&C 93:31, 82:3 and 90:5.

To cut to the chase; in today's church how does a sealed couple know their sealing has been ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise?

To cut to the chase; in today's church how does a sealed couple know their sealing has been ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise?

As indicated in the scriptures provided above, they know by revelation, whether in person and/or in Person and/or by the Spirit. The witness or confirmation that their sealing is ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise, or that the promises associated with the temple sealing are fully fulfilled, is revealed to qualified individuals under the direction of the Father and by the power of the Holy Spirit (D&C 76:53; 131:5), during mortality or in the spirit world through proper channel(s) where sometimes God takes matters into His own hands, even in today

As indicated in the scriptures provided above, they know by revelation, whether in person and/or in Person and/or by the Spirit. The witness or confirmation that their sealing is ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise, or that the promises associated with the temple sealing are fully fulfilled, is revealed to qualified individuals under the direction of the Father and by the power of the Holy Spirit (D&C 76:53; 131:5), during mortality or in the spirit world through proper channel(s) where sometimes God takes matters into His own hands, even in today

I know this would fall under the, "to sacred to share" category, but I would be interested to to know how many sealed marriages in the church have received such a ratification and in what manner it was communicated.

As someone who was sealed in the Temple and later civilly divorced-I would like to get unsealed when I get re-married but I never had any holy seal of promise or whatever so also I wonder what happens if you get divorced after having that experience? divorce throws a wrench into things

What we fail to understand about the temple sealer is that he has the "keys" to seal by the holy spirit of promise. If worthy couples come before the temple alter and accept the marriage covenant, then it is at that precise time that the sealer seals a couple together. He literally has the power to seal this marriage for time and eternity at that moment. He seals by the power of the holy spirit of promise at that moment if the couple are worthy.

We often think that it is at some later time that our marrigaes are selaed by the holy spirit of promise but this is false. Th etemple sealer has the authority to seal both in heaven and on the world. His seal is the holy spirit of promise- that is his key. A person is thus sealed or bound to their spouse from that moment on.

But if they are willfully choosing to not be married, they, according to LDS theology, are willing going against a commandment of God. If they are willfully going against a commandment, how in the world to they qualify for Celestial Glory? The more I study 132 they more it doesn't make any sense.

Good point. How is refusing to get sealed any different than refusing to get baptized? Or refusing to pay tithing? Or refusing to keep the Law of Chastity?

It just seems odd that the Celestial Kingdom has been divided into different degrees to accommodate different degrees of disobedience.

I know this would fall under the, "to sacred to share" category, but I would be interested to to know how many sealed marriages in the church have received such a ratification and in what manner it was communicated.

Some research has taken place on "second annointings," but I do not believe the data reflect a true picture (one that would be ratified!) of the number or means of bona fide ratifications. I think it's been discussed a bit on this board as well.

Archived