Intro and Research Topics

My name is Mike. I have become increasingly interested in LDS apologetics/discussions over the past year and a half. I've found many of the discussions on this site to be very enlightening and thought provoking. I appreciate all of you who take the time to make good arguments and do so in a respectful manner--despite the strong convictions associated with the topics.

I recently watched a presentation by someone (I can't remember who it was...) at the FAIRLDS youtube channel that interested me. The presenter was discussing the status of LDS research and said he considered it to be in the adolescent stage (if I recall correctly). He commented that while there were many topics that had reached a good level of maturity, there were still plenty of topics which could be pursued and advanced by amateur researchers--part-timers who aren't professionally trained in the subject matter of their research. I'd like to join that cadre of researchers, but don't know where to start or how to get involved.

I'm graduating with an MS in Nuclear Engineering Thursday, and, while I know engineering is a totally different animal, the analytical/critical thinking involved in research should be similar across fields of study. I enjoy research and really enjoy learning things.

I anticipate that the primary line of advice will be, "Find something you enjoy or that interests you, and work on that." The problem for me with that advice is that I really like a lot of things--and I don't know much about any of them. I've enjoyed studying ancient church history, the little I know about ancient jewish history/culture/religion is very interesting to me, New Testament exegis is fascinating to me (I've considered learning Greek for that reason), philosophy is engaging, LDS church history is also very interesting, archeology is cool, linguistics is very interesting but seems like it would take more time to get into than I have to offer, etc...

What I'd really find interesting would be a map of the different areas of research in LDS apologetics and some thing on that map that indicates the degree to which topics have been studied with links under each topic to a list of background material and questions that still need to be answered. I'd certainly settle, however, for people who really know their stuff saying, "Well, here's a small topic that I've been interested in, but haven't had the time to get into. Read these 3 books and these 4 articles to get up to speed, and then see what else you can find out about ...."

Thanks!

Mike

You will probably want to talk to Daniel Peterson or Bill Hamblin, they could direct you to some stuff. But there are also other users on here who are excellent for this as well... not my forte, but others will surely come =D.

In the main time, welcome to the site =).

Best Wishes,

TAO