Seriously No Politics ×

Social Justice in the Bible

David Bokovoy

By the way, is there any truth to the news that the board is going to change its name again? I heard someone say it was going to change from "MDDB" to "DBDB", but I suppose it could just be an unfounded rumor.

Dunno if there's truth to it, but I for one would welcome the change to the David Bowie Discussion Board.

labyrinth.jpg

The Goblin King is obviously a metaphor for...

:P

Dunno if there's truth to it, but I for one would welcome the change to the David Bowie Discussion Board.

labyrinth.jpg

The Goblin King is obviously a metaphor for...

:P

Power of the babe.

By the way, is there any truth to the news that the board is going to change its name again? I heard someone say it was going to change from "MDDB" to "DBDB", but I suppose it could just be an unfounded rumor.

That's so offensive, I may just have to go to another board and start a thread to complain... :P

Seriously, I think the real problem is that a couple of posters simply don't share the board's understanding of the phrase "gentlemanly discussion".

I disagree, at least to the extent that in 1 Samuel, the Lord Himself says that a monarchy is not His preferred form of government for the Israelites.

Please note in verse 7 that the Lord strongly implies that the reign of the Judges was His preferred government. If the monarchy was His preference He could have made Joshua or Moses king centuries earlier. He did not. When the monarchy was proposed to Him, He said, essentially, "Okeh, be careful what you ask for, because this is what you're going to get."

The position, that strong government is God's plan flies in the face of this exchange among Israel, Samuel, and God. Because, as I read it (and can imagine no other interpretation), God explicitly says He does not want a King over His people other than Himself.

It does not, however, make the case for a strong government.

"Hospitality" is a new argument. It has little or nothing to do with "social justice" as far as I can tell. The Levite was not poor, he was just traveling and needed shelter. If a strong government could compel just anyone to take in a traveler, we would be in a worse position than the USmerican colonials who were forced to house and feed the King's soldiers. At least there was a finite number of them, but of passers-by there is no end.

Lehi

It is interesting to me that the Nephites went the opposite direction in their form of government. And for interesting reasons.

Mosiah 29:11 Therefore I will be your king the remainder of my days; nevertheless, let us appoint judges, to judge this people according to our law; and we will newly arrange the affairs of this people, for we will appoint wise men to be judges, that will judge this people according to the commandments of God.

12 Now it is better that a man should be judged of God than of man, for the judgments of God are always just, but the judgments of man are not always just.

13 Therefore, if it were possible that you could have just men to be your kings, who would establish the laws of God, and judge this people according to his commandments, yea, if ye could have men for your kings who would do even as my father Benjamin did for this people

Seriously, I think the real problem is that a couple of posters simply don't share the board's understanding of the phrase "gentlemanly discussion".

No doubt.

Then again, one man's "gentleman" is another man's "condescending academic in a bubble". It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. Or degree of ignorance, depending on who you talk to.

Me, I don't care much either way. From my vantage point, this thread has more in common with recent Gaddafi speeches (largely disconnected from reality, delivered from a protected compound, and applauded by sycophant followers) than it does with the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth" --Proverbs 28:1

Is this any better than how Loran posted? I realise that Nomad is egging you on. Oh well carry on.

response to "Ultimate Game"

ALAN SANFEY Typically around the 7 and 3 mark, people have typically told us, "It's a little bit unfair but it's not too bad." So they tend to accept that. ... Most of them will reject a 9 and 1 offer, and about half will reject the 8 and 2, and most will accept the 7 and 3.

I'm quite aware. Both Shermer and Ridley discuss this in the sources I provided.

I guess I don't understand what the response is exactly.

Is this any better than how Loran posted? I realise that Nomad is egging you on. Oh well carry on.

I believe you missed the point. Nomad is attempting to egg me on, but I am uninterested in pursuing his personal attacks. And yes, this statement cannont begin to compare to the way Loran has treated people on this board, nor even with Nomad himself who compared me to Muammar Gaddafi and this board to his protected compound.

That you would not recognize the difference between these various posts is quite disappointing.

From my vantage point, this thread has more in common with recent Gaddafi speeches (largely disconnected from reality, delivered from a protected compound, and applauded by sycophant followers) than it does with the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

What a disgusting thing to say.

You've just given plenty of reason why no one should give a damn about your vantage point.

I believe you missed the point. Nomad is attempting to egg me on, but I am uninterested in pursuing his personal attacks. And yes, this statement cannont begin to compare to the way Loran has treated people on this board, nor even with Nomad himself who compared me to Muammar Gaddafi and this board to his protected compound.

That you would not recognize the difference between these various posts is quite disappointing.

I can see the difference David. My only objection (which was the same for Loran) is were he quoted a scripture about "the wicked taketh the truth to be hard".

You did the same thing as him. I recognize that Nomad is trying to get you riled up. I probably should haven not posted before chewing nomad out for posting some offensive comparisons and the suggestion that the board is going to be renamed to the DBDB.

Don't read more into my post more than is there. It certainly is not my intent to get people more agitated than they are.

Any way carry on.

Then again, one man's "gentleman" is another man's "condescending academic in a bubble". It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose. Or degree of ignorance, depending on who you talk to.

Are you going to discuss social justice as understood by the ancient Israelites or are you going to continue Loran's obnoxious behavior?

There have been a lot of good things pointed out in this thread, but I don't think it's possible for any more productive conversations to occur. I know I'm tired of the personal attacks and bickering. I'm going to respectfully ask the moderators to close the thread.

Thank you.

--DB

I agree. Believe it or not I acutally enjoyed this thread. I think I will probably do more reading in the future as I seem to get more out of it. If you noticed I did not post very much in this thread. See you next time around.

What a disgusting thing to say.

You've just given plenty of reason why no one should give a damn about your vantage point.

How much more humorless can someone get?

Don't worry, I'm not concerned about how many damns you give. But you really ought to laugh a little before you develop an ulcer.

Archived