Seriously No Politics ×

Big news, God had a wife.

Vance

Interesting.

"Many English translations prefer to translate 'Asherah' as 'Sacred Tree,'" Wright said. "This seems to be in part driven by a modern desire, clearly inspired by the biblical narratives, to hide Asherah behind a veil once again."

Tree of life?

Well, I guess the rest of the world would have to figure this out eventually on there own.

I always find added comfort in the Restored Gospel when it's doctrine are vetted independently of the revelations from the Lord!

Of course LDS have know about Heavenly Mother for years.

But in this article they are talking about Jehovah's wife (and as LDS we know that Jehovah is Jesus Christ not Heavenly Father) so it looks like either they confuse the Father and Son again (which is likely) or that they are talking about Christ's wife not heavenly father's wife.

But in this article they are talking about Jehovah's wife (and as LDS we know that Jehovah is Jesus Christ not Heavenly Father) so it looks like either they confuse the Father and Son again (which is likely) or that they are talking about Christ's wife not heavenly father's wife.

El and Yahweh were most likely conflated over the centuries. Not to mention that the earliest saints didn't quite have a handle on the whole Elohim/Jehovah dichotomy.

Tree of life?

Asherah is associated with wisdom and happiness. The tree from which Lehi partakes of fruit in his dream is very much a symbol of Asherah, it appears. Dan Peterson has dealt with this extensively, I believe. The tree of knowledge of good and evil is strongly associated with Asherah, but perhaps the tree of life also. Don't know. In Solomon's temple, they had symbols of the tree, alluding to her.

The article itself was highly simplistic while the actuality of the situation is incredibly nuanced and delicate. We have to deal with multiple cultures and faiths over many centuries. Hardly something that can be understood in a one page article. The bottom line is simple. Ancient Israel worshiped alongside of YHWH a visage of an earlier consort to their gods known as Asherah who was also consort to the "Canaanite" deities of Baal and El. Later Jewish belief banned worship of her within the temple while her persona continued to be observed in folk religion. Later her personality found itself within the Greek goddess of Wisdom, Sophia and the Israelite, Hokhma. My personal belief is that Jesus was eventually identified with this personality ala "In the Beginning was the Word (or Logos, i.e., Wisdom)" Generations since have seen this consort figure in Mary and Mary of Magdala.

Sounds like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the information. :P

The ancient Israelites were polytheists, Brody told Discovery News, "with only a small minority worshiping Yahweh alone before the historic events of 586 B.C." In that year, an elite community within Judea was exiled to Babylon and the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed.

I don't think an apostate form of worship, as this seems likely to be, could be considered direct evidence for God having a wife. Indirect, sure, as apostate religions typically have elements of the truth.

Archived