Seriously No Politics ×

The Book of Mormon musical

auteur55

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03-18-Mormon_Broadway_17_ST_N.htm

Look I laughed quite a bit at the Mormon episode of South Park and can laugh at our quirks as much as the next guy but why do I keep running across articles about how much "Mormons" enjoy the new musical. In this recent one an LDS woman is quoted as saying she liked it and "they definitely did their homework." Later in the article we get "In one powerful number, I Believe, Price belts out a string of peculiarly Mormon teachings

Angels in America was far more viciously antiMormon than anything the Southpark boys have ever done. They, at least, appear to have genuine affection for us quirky Mormon types and our lifestyles.

Better to be called gullible than a bunch of closeted 'phobes.

What really bothers me is the open blasphemy against our Heavenly Father and the mockery of religion in general.

People gotta lighten up. They're just words man chill out. The problem today is everyone is always looking for a reason to be offended. We're becoming too thin skinned.

People gotta lighten up. They're just words man chill out. The problem today is everyone is always looking for a reason to be offended. We're becoming too thin skinned.

I have never understood the justification for the trivialization of what people say by using "just words". "I love you" and "I hate you" are "just words" but one's reactions to each can mean the difference between a wonderful life and no life at all.

"Words" (and the ability to use language) are a significant attribute of homo sapiens that distinguish us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Having said that, being offended by others' actions whether verbal or not is wasted emotional energy, imo, but that also does not mean we should not protest against things that we see are inappropriate or even unjust.

There are many "just words" that are dangerous in the long run to human health and even life. There is also the issue of where do we draw the line between attempting to do something about what might lead to violence (physical or emotional) if we don't pay attention to it and what we promote unintentionally by paying attention to it.

I have never understood the justification for the trivialization of what people say by using "just words". "I love you" and "I hate you" are "just words" but one's reactions to each can mean the difference between a wonderful life and no life at all.

"Words" (and the ability to use language) are a significant attribute of homo sapiens that distinguish us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Having said that, being offended by others' actions whether verbal or not is wasted emotional energy, imo, but that also does not mean we should not protest against things that we see are inappropriate or even unjust.

There are many "just words" that are dangerous in the long run to human health and even life. There is also the issue of where do we draw the line between attempting to do something about what might lead to violence (physical or emotional) if we don't pay attention to it and what we promote unintentionally by paying attention to it.

yea you are absolutely right, but......dude it's just a musical man not the stance of another nation, it's not a hate crime, it's not that serious. It's just a group of people poking good honest fun at another group of people. Like a roast. Its not like they're declaring a jihad on mormons or something. That's what I meant. People take stuff waaaaaaay to personally sometimes. Like if someone called me a spic, who cares? its just a word and does not have any sting unless I let it. Dave Chappelle was a genius when he did the black white supremacist sketch. He helped make a racial slur into a joke and thus reduced its power to offend.

How is saying we believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob doing their homework?

I would only expect them to understand LDS teachings about as well as the average LDS. And were a poll to be taken, I suspect there would be plenty of LDS who understand Kolob to the planet God lives on. And it being the planet nearest God's habitation hardly seems to be a material distinction.

I would only expect them to understand LDS teachings about as well as the average LDS. And were a poll to be taken, I suspect there would be plenty of LDS who understand Kolob to the planet God lives on. And it being the planet nearest God's habitation hardly seems to be a material distinction.

Sort of like how "the average LDS" thinks they have to meet God halfway (i.e. Stephen Robinson's "Parable of the Bicycle") in order to be saved?

I would only expect them to understand LDS teachings about as well as the average LDS. And were a poll to be taken, I suspect there would be plenty of LDS who understand Kolob to the planet God lives on

Sorry but in my 32 years of being a member I have never met one member that believed God lived on Kolob. Now obviously I haven't asked every member i've met but I would say if I went to church tomorrow and heard a member stand up and say God lives on Kolob I would be utterly shocked. This would be such a stunning display of ignorance that I would think the Bishop would need to correct it right away. Kolob is the name of a star near where God resides never understood why this scripture has been such fodder for the critics or how a member would make that leap, can someone explain it to me?

Again the idea that several active members are running around believing God lives on Kolob is too much for me to bear.

"I love you" and "I hate you" are "just words" but one's reactions to each can mean the difference between a wonderful life and no life at all.

They are definitely just words if there is no sincerity or honesty behind them. Words spoken by actors are more like that, I would say.

There are many "just words" that are dangerous in the long run to human health and even life.

Can you please explain this statement a bit? Do you mean the concept of "fightin' words"?

yea you are absolutely right, but......dude it's just a musical man not the stance of another nation, it's not a hate crime, it's not that serious. It's just a group of people poking good honest fun at another group of people. Like a roast. Its not like they're declaring a jihad on mormons or something. That's what I meant. People take stuff waaaaaaay to personally sometimes. Like if someone called me a spic, who cares? its just a word and does not have any sting unless I let it. Dave Chappelle was a genius when he did the black white supremacist sketch. He helped make a racial slur into a joke and thus reduced its power to offend.

I wonder if a comedy musical about death camps and the holocaust (but done well of course) how that would go with the Jewish community?

Or maybe a comedic turn at the temple ceremony where everyone in the end does a striptease. It could be very very funny.

As a general rule, what people hold sacred, as it becomes trivialized, as it becomes common, it affects we as a people (not Mormons but everyone). It will eventually get to the point when we see something sacred, we will laugh and joke about it. Make rude comments, chuckle and tell Jesus on the cross jokes.

Not sure if I want someone cutting death camp jokes as we tour the holocaust museum, nor am I really comfortable with someone in a temple ceremony whispering temple jokes while oaths are being made.

They are after all, just words. But words convey emotion and meaing. They help convert, they help heal, they help understand. Words change us. Chappell may have made a racial slur into a joke and reduced its power. Do we want to do that with things that have a sacred nature? Just something to consider. And I am sure Southpark did a great job, they are talented and they are popular because of their talent. But I decided that watching them, and Family Guy and others was having a bad influence on me. Maybe I am weak that way, but why take the chance.

yea you are absolutely right, but......dude it's just a musical man not the stance of another nation, it's not a hate crime, it's not that serious. It's just a group of people poking good honest fun at another group of people.

Can't comment on the musical since I haven't seen it.

Can you please explain this statement a bit? Do you mean the concept of "fightin' words"?

Not just those. There are words that can poison a person's mind or soul...again it's a case of "if they let them" but if someone has opened themselves up in love to others, they have made themselves vulnerable and vulnerability means they can be hurt. The only way to put oneself in a position not to be hurt by another's words is to put oneself in a position where one doesn't care about other people....and that's a position that's problematic to psychological health at the very least. I think if we choose to open ourselves up to others, it becomes a fine balancing act of how much and when and with whom but since we don't have perfect foresight, eventually we will get hurt or hurt others.

I wonder if a comedy musical about death camps and the holocaust (but done well of course) how that would go with the Jewish community?

Or maybe a comedic turn at the temple ceremony where everyone in the end does a striptease. It could be very very funny.

As a general rule, what people hold sacred, as it becomes trivialized, as it becomes common, it affects we as a people (not Mormons but everyone). It will eventually get to the point when we see something sacred, we will laugh and joke about it. Make rude comments, chuckle and tell Jesus on the cross jokes.

Not sure if I want someone cutting death camp jokes as we tour the holocaust museum, nor am I really comfortable with someone in a temple ceremony whispering temple jokes while oaths are being made.

They are after all, just words. But words convey emotion and meaing. They help convert, they help heal, they help understand. Words change us. Chappell may have made a racial slur into a joke and reduced its power. Do we want to do that with things that have a sacred nature? Just something to consider. And I am sure Southpark did a great job, they are talented and they are popular because of their talent. But I decided that watching them, and Family Guy and others was having a bad influence on me. Maybe I am weak that way, but why take the chance.

it already is at that point, nothing is free from ridicule nowadays and I think that's a good thing. I don't think anything should be sacred, like richard dawkins said in the god delusion, it's time we stop giving things like religion a pedestal to stand on. it should not be hidden from ridicule or questioning. it should be treated just like any other subject, why should i have to watch my mouth when it comes to matters of religion? especially if one does not even subscribe to any of them? And as for your examples, i wouldn't be surprised if someone already made those. If it bugs you don't watch it but complaining about it isn't going to stop them. one controversial things gets shut down and another will take its place. its just how the world is man if you are really that bothered by those kind of things you should live under a bridge cause it will never end and it shouldn't.

Regardless of how you feel about the musical, I however believe that it just might have a indirect, yet positive effect on our missionary efforts and even the mainstream public perception of us.

...Think about it

Regardless of how you feel about the musical, I however believe that it just might have a indirect, yet positive effect on our missionary efforts and even the mainstream public perception of us.

...Think about it

i agree, actually it was a lot easier to break the ice with my missionaries by talking about the mormon episode of south park. we had a lot of laughs

i agree, actually it was a lot easier to break the ice with my missionaries by talking about the mormon episode of south park. we had a lot of laughs

That's cool

it should be treated just like any other subject, why should i have to watch my mouth when it comes to matters of religion?

It's a sad world which lacks wonder and awe and a sense of the divine, a setting apart of a part of one's life for sacred things, imo.

it already is at that point, nothing is free from ridicule nowadays and I think that's a good thing. I don't think anything should be sacred, like richard dawkins said in the god delusion, it's time we stop giving things like religion a pedestal to stand on. it should not be hidden from ridicule or questioning. it should be treated just like any other subject, why should i have to watch my mouth when it comes to matters of religion? especially if one does not even subscribe to any of them? And as for your examples, i wouldn't be surprised if someone already made those. If it bugs you don't watch it but complaining about it isn't going to stop them. one controversial things gets shut down and another will take its place. its just how the world is man if you are really that bothered by those kind of things you should live under a bridge cause it will never end and it shouldn't.

Well, when they scream and shout epitaths at the gravesite of marines who have died, for you its a good thing. After all nothing is sacred. I see. I am afraid I cannot agree with that, and neither should most people. Dawkins is an extremist atheist and little more than a Taliban who follows a different belief system. I don't follow the Taliban, nor do I agree with Dawkins. Just because you change the robe doesn't mean you change the speices of pork wearing it.

Lets talk about other sacred things in culture. Why should one watch their mouth when discussing your mother, your sister, your wife and girlfriend? Why, because we know that such things are not acceptable. By the way, if it bugs me, I will complain, and I will do what I can to stop it, and I do. If someone tells an off color joke or a racist one (which is ok with you, no, it is more than ok with you, you state it as a good thing because African Americans should be ridiculed since nothing is sacred, Jews should not be free from ridiculed, Latinos as well. Ridiculed, put down made to feel bad).

A group of you telling black jokes with a small African American in the room is, according to you, a good thing, after all nothing is sacred, there are no taboos. She just doesn't have to listen.

Are you getting it yet? Are you even close to contemplating what it means to make nothing sacred? You really need to think what you imply when you make a broad brush statement without understanding the ramifications.

...Think about it

It might. But I have also seen "publicity" that was decidedly negative and hurt the church, and I have seen some types of publicity that hurt others. Do you think "Amos and Andy" a comedy showing African Americans to be rather dimwitted and lazy, to have somehow helped their cause for equality in the 1920's and 1930's?

What you don't seem to realize is that words have meaning. It is not being thin skinned when those meanings are meant to hurt rather in comedy or not. Words whose meaning cuts combined with laugher are abrasive to even the thickest skin.

I never did like roasts. I think they are rude and insensitive. They do more damage to the roaster than the roastee.

one controversial things gets shut down and another will take its place. its just how the world is man if you are really that bothered by those kind of things you should live under a bridge cause it will never end and it shouldn't.

That doesn't mean they should be ignored.

Archived