Question about salvation

jonq1102

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is there salvation outside of the Mormon church?

• Yes if they are at least some kind of christian
    • No, not at all
    • Yes as long as they are good people
    • I don't know

So I have a question. Can a baptist (or anyone rather) who does their best to live a christ-like life be saved according to mormon thought?

Yes and No!

Mormon theology believes that almost everyone who has lived on the Earth will be saved eventually. The only people who suffer endless punishment are those who had a perfect knowledge of God and rejected him after obtaining this knowledge. To do this is called to sin against the Holy Ghost and Christ declares in the NT that it is an unforgivable sin. There are also two other unforgivable sins that apply to Mormons exclusively that is to murder after joining the church, or to break the oath of the priesthood (for those who are ordained into the priesthood)

So everyone except Satan his angels and the people who fall commit on of these unforgivable sins will be saved.

Now only those who inherit the celestial kingdom can obtain eternal life (which is to spend eternity with God and Christ) to inherit the Celestial Kingdom, one must have the LDS ordinances of baptism and confirmation and endure to the end so only LDS will inherit the Celestial Kingdom.

Here is a link that has more information: http://lds.org/manua...=three+kingdoms

Attached is a diagram of the plan of salvation!

Edited by LDS Guy 1986

I think LDS have a somewhat different view of "salvation" and being "saved." The simple answer is, yes, a Baptist can be saved... but it is more detailed than that.

LDS theology doesn't just view judgment in terms of either Heaven or Hell, saved or not saved. We have certain beliefs about what happens when a person dies... the fact that they will have an opportunity to hear and be taught (1 Peter 3:18-19) the complete gospel of Jesus Christ. I would encourage you to read more about the LDS view of three degrees of glory (John 14:2)... at any of the legitimate Church websites, you should be able to do so fairly easily. I know if you access the LDS scriptures and go to the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 76, you will find the revelation that Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon received in regard to these glories, what they are, and who will obtain them.

While you may not agree with our LDS views, I personally find these particular doctrines quite encouraging and filled with hope, particularly for those who in this world never had an opportunity to learn of Christ, or who were not really taught about Christ even though surrounded by numerous Christian denominations...

GG

I think LDS have a somewhat different view of "salvation" and being "saved." The simple answer is, yes, a Baptist can be saved... but it is more detailed than that.

LDS theology doesn't just view judgment in terms of either Heaven or Hell, saved or not saved. We have certain beliefs about what happens when a person dies... the fact that they will have an opportunity to hear and be taught (1 Peter 3:18-19) the complete gospel of Jesus Christ. I would encourage you to read more about the LDS view of three degrees of glory (John 14:2)... at any of the legitimate Church websites, you should be able to do so fairly easily. I know if you access the LDS scriptures and go to the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 76, you will find the revelation that Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon received in regard to these glories, what they are, and who will obtain them.

While you may not agree with our LDS views, I personally find these particular doctrines quite encouraging and filled with hope, particularly for those who in this world never had an opportunity to learn of Christ, or who were not really taught about Christ even though surrounded by numerous Christian denominations...

GG

As an agnostic I find that the most peace can be found in mormonism, there is no talk of hell really, and your God seems to truly be all loving.

So I have a question. Can a baptist (or anyone rather) who does their best to live a christ-like life be saved according to mormon thought?

Yes, that is true, anybody who does their best will be saved =).

Although we do look at salvation a bit differently than our other Christian counterparts, what we do believe is that God cares more about you being an honest truth seeker than being in X religion. Many people haven't had access to the gospel yet, and God isn't going to look down on them for it, that he won't =).

In terms of salvation from Outer Darkness, which is our equivalent of the Christian Hell (Hell for us means Spiritual Prison, which is a temporary place, while OD is not known whether it is temporary or not), all you have to do eventually is to accept Christ - that means in this life, or after you die, before the judgment. Most people will take this route... in fact... nearly all people will. They will be saved from outer darkness, or spiritual death.

Now salvation to the celestial kingdom... which is much higher... that requires a much more Christ like life... it requires being a person of faith and action... of righteous thoughts and good works... it means doing it all =). It is much harder to get into, I believe... but it is definitely worth striving for. It is the place where God lives... and you can be in his presence forever as well as do the things he does... becoming like him, quickened by him and of him. =D

Yes, that is true, anybody who does their best will be saved =).

Although we do look at salvation a bit differently than our other Christian counterparts, what we do believe is that God cares more about you being an honest truth seeker than being in X religion. Many people haven't had access to the gospel yet, and God isn't going to look down on them for it, that he won't =).

In terms of salvation from Outer Darkness, which is our equivalent of the Christian Hell (Hell for us means Spiritual Prison, which is a temporary place, while OD is not known whether it is temporary or not), all you have to do eventually is to accept Christ - that means in this life, or after you die, before the judgment. Most people will take this route... in fact... nearly all people will. They will be saved from outer darkness, or spiritual death.

Now salvation to the celestial kingdom... which is much higher... that requires a much more Christ like life... it requires being a person of faith and action... of righteous thoughts and good works... it means doing it all =). It is much harder to get into, I believe... but it is definitely worth striving for. It is the place where God lives... and you can be in his presence forever as well as do the things he does... becoming like him, quickened by him and of him. =D

that is exactly why i like the mormon god better, he doesnt seem like a douche as in mainline christianity

As an agnostic I find that the most peace can be found in mormonism, there is no talk of hell really, and your God seems to truly be all loving.

That's awesome. :P We believe that God is loving, merciful, and just. We believe that all people will have a chance to accept or reject His Gospel, whether in this life or the next. One thing I found in my previous faith was the ambiguity as to what happens to people that never heard of Christ and His Church, and even when it was said that they could still be saved, it seemed to leave out demonstrating faith in the Savior. In Mormonism, we believe that if one did not have a chance to hear the Gospel in this life, it will be presented to them in the next, and they have an opportunity to accept or reject it,demonstrate faith in Christ, repent, and receive eternal life. The atonement of Jesus Christ is infinite, and can redeem both the living and the dead.

That's awesome. :P We believe that God is loving, merciful, and just. We believe that all people will have a chance to accept or reject His Gospel, whether in this life or the next. One thing I found in my previous faith was the ambiguity as to what happens to people that never heard of Christ and His Church, and even when it was said that they could still be saved, it seemed to leave out demonstrating faith in the Savior. In Mormonism, we believe that if one did not have a chance to hear the Gospel in this life, it will be presented to them in the next, and they have an opportunity to accept or reject it,demonstrate faith in Christ, repent, and receive eternal life. The atonement of Jesus Christ is infinite, and can redeem both the living and the dead.

who knows, i might be baptized yet lol....