Seriously No Politics ×

The Current Prieshood Ban.

phaedrus ut

Priesthood ban  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current priesthood ban on women in the priesthood doctrinal or just the policy of men?

• Yes, it's official doctrine of the church.
    • No, it's just a policy.
  2. 2. Would you support allowing women full participation in the priesthood?

Withholding the priesthood from women today has no more authoritative basis than withholding the priesthood from blacks in 1977.

And the ultimate result for women will be the same as it was for blacks.

In 1977 many leaders of the Church were on record saying that blacks would one day hold the preisthood. I don't see anything similar concerning women being one day ordained to the preisthood.

In 1977 many leaders of the Church were on record saying that blacks would one day hold the preisthood. I don't see anything similar concerning women being one day ordained to the preisthood.

Perhaps you could show me the authoritative source denying their ordination in the first place?

From an interview with Pres. Hinckley, 9 November 1997

David Ransom: Is it possible that the rules could change in the future as the rules are on Blacks ?

Gordon B. Hinckley: He could change them yes. If He were to change them that

The Priesthood is irrelevant with regard to woman. They neither need it for personal spiritual reasons nor, as they do not participate in the direct governance of the physical Kingdom of God on Earth (the Church), do they require it as a matter of ecclesiastical authority.

blink.gif

I'm not sure you should be equating ordaining women with snorting coke.

Not really what I was doing.

My point was that there are accepted doctrines of the Church which are not necessarily based on an explicit revelation. There is no explicit revelation I am aware of that says "thou shalt not snort cocaine" yet it seems pretty clear that the Church considers the ban against cocaine snorting to be doctrinal.

From an interview with Pres. Hinckley, 9 November 1997

David Ransom: Is it possible that the rules could change in the future as the rules are on Blacks ?

Gordon B. Hinckley: He could change them yes. If He were to change them that

Not really what I was doing.

My point was that there are accepted doctrines of the Church which are not necessarily based on an explicit revelation. There is no explicit revelation I am aware of that says "thou shalt not snort cocaine" yet it seems pretty clear that the Church considers the ban against cocaine snorting to be doctrinal.

I think a better example might be how many Mormons think it is against the Word of Wisdom to drink caffeine, even though the scriptures actually say nothing about it.

I think a better example might be how many Mormons think it is against the Word of Wisdom to drink caffeine, even though the scriptures actually say nothing about it.

No, that would be rather the inverse of my example, and thus not suitable to my point.

Logically irrelevant, of course, since the scriptures also say nothing regarding nicotine or alcohol. Nor do they mention marijuana, cocaine, heroine, LDS, Methamphetamine, or much else. Nowhere, as well, do the scriptures mention not eating razor blades.

Logically irrelevant, of course, since the scriptures also say nothing regarding nicotine or alcohol. Nor do they mention marijuana, cocaine, heroine, LDS, Methamphetamine, or much else. Nowhere, as well, do the scriptures mention not eating razor blades.

Nor do they mention women not getting the priesthood.

Thanks for making my point, Loran.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I can't really answer this poll....

Cause, while the ban is only a "policy" it is in fact based on doctrine, that is that the roles of man and woman are different.

Of course, this does not mean that there won't be "exceptions", that a woman or some women could be given the Priesthood, but I don't foresee this as being the same at all in relation to the African black and the Priesthood ban.

Of course, I wouldn't necessarily be against the lifting of the so-called ban, but I just don't think it will happen because it goes against the very core of what the Priesthood is in the Church, relating to our very natures as human beings.

I also don't think that most LDS beleive it was "a policy by man".... I think it was a policy put in place according to God's purposes, not by man. I think most of the "reasonings" were of men, but the policy was God's purposes.

, I wouldn't necessarily be against the lifting of the so-called ban, but I just don't think it will happen because it goes against the very core of what the Priesthood is in the Church, relating to our very natures as human beings.

What about women is naturally and at their core in opposition to being authorized to perform ordinances of Salvation?

Archived