Seriously No Politics ×

Anyone know how to get cheap faries to Hawaii?

Calm

My son by another mother is getting married in June in the Hawaii temple. Not a lot of family are going to be able to be there and it looks like it's too expensive for all of us to fly out, but thinking maybe we could afford just one person.

For you who live out there or are frequent air travelers and know all the secrets, what might be the cheapest way to go...even on a stand by basis?

edit: hate not being able to edit titles, very sloppy spelling today.

Edited by calmoriah

My son by another mother is getting married in June in the Hawaii temple. Not a lot of family are going to be able to be there and it looks like it's too expensive for all of us to fly out, but thinking maybe we could afford just one person.

For you who live out there or are frequent air travelers and know all the secrets, what might be the cheapest way to go...even on a stand by basis?

www.priceline.com - I've only used it for hotel rooms, and I get great deals. There is a section for flights, but I have no experience using it.

H.

I'm looking too. My tentative plan now is the fly to LAX on southwest, and then fly continental to Hilo. I found roundtrip tickets (LAX - Hilo) on continental's site for 530 dollars. Doing it that way shaved off 200 dollars from the expedia prices that I found. I'm still looking for cheaper though....

cacheman

Try funjet.com and you can ususally find Oahu airfare + hotel for 7 nights for around $700 to $800. I've never found a better deal than funjet when visiting any of the islands.

I just saw a flight on the United site from San Francisco for $489, but it would have to be before June 9 (or after August 15).

thanks for still looking, it is a bit early...I think I am just going to have to accept my 'foster' son's wise counsel that he'd rather have us out there when it's play time and just plan on seeing him a few weeks later when we go up to Canada. I just feel kind of incomplete as I filled in for his mom when he got his endowment taken out, it just seems fitting to be there when he is sealed as well.

My friend actually cashed in one of her retirement funds to go to her daughter's Hawaii wedding. Neither bride or groom were from Hawaii. They just thought it would be "super fun and romantic" to get married there. "Super selfish and insensitive" if you ask me. :P

He's lived in Hawaii for a significant part of his adult life and his mom's family is from there and they visit often, I think there is a lot of emotional attachement to the temple...and her family can afford it. Going there just to go there....yeah, I would have a problem with it if finances were an issue for either family (whether or not they could go to the temple).

My husband loved Hawaii when we got married, had spent a summer working there. My family and I could have flown over for the taxes as my dad worked for United, but that would have meant his family wouldn't be able to come....so we settled on Oakland instead....which I am grateful for, the whole wedding thing is too hectic as it is, thinking about everyone being content, taken care of, etc. My personality is such that I really should have eloped because all I could think about was other people who were or weren't there rather than what the ceremony meant to me except for short moments that I could get myself to concentrate. Felt much more 'married' next time we went to the temple and felt more connected when I was doing proxy sealings, lol. So Hawaii would have been a huge waste of money for me.

My friend actually cashed in one of her retirement funds to go to her daughter's Hawaii wedding. Neither bride or groom were from Hawaii. They just thought it would be "super fun and romantic" to get married there. "Super selfish and insensitive" if you ask me. ;)

The daughter of a friend is getting married in the San Diego Temple this summer. That's great, but her family lives in north Los Angeles, so they'll be driving past two temples (Los Angeles and Newport Beach) to get there. :P

But it will be worth it to be married "in the Temple that looks like a fairy-tale castle".

The daughter of a friend is getting married in the San Diego Temple this summer. That's great, but her family lives in north Los Angeles, so they'll be driving past two temples (Los Angeles and Newport Beach) to get there. :P

But it will be worth it to be married "in the Temple that looks like a fairy-tale castle".

To be quite honest, yes, I think it would... the San Diego temple is REALLY nice =D.

Although Newport Beach also looks very cool as well imo.

I am going to have a hard time choosing where I want to go when that time comes =/. So many good places =D. All sacred, lovely, and happy =).

Edited by TAO

For our honeymoon this May, we debated on Hawaii and St. Lucia - I was definitely set on Hawaii! It added up and got too expensive for us so luckily with the help of a travel agent that my fiance knows - we decided on Costa Rica. We are paying cheaper with better hotels and more activities.

If you know of anyone that works for the airlines, a buddy pass for standby is a great option. It is risky, but a lot cheaper. Maybe ask some friends if they know of anyone that works for the airlines?

When I read the topic for this thread:

Anyone know how to get cheap faries to Hawaii? I thought, I KNOW I KNOW...pixy dust! :P (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I thought you should ply Tinkerbell with rum. She'll go anywhere.

For our honeymoon this May, we debated on Hawaii and St. Lucia - I was definitely set on Hawaii! It added up and got too expensive for us so luckily with the help of a travel agent that my fiance knows - we decided on Costa Rica. We are paying cheaper with better hotels and more activities.

If you know of anyone that works for the airlines, a buddy pass for standby is a great option. It is risky, but a lot cheaper. Maybe ask some friends if they know of anyone that works for the airlines?

My family gets 'buddy passes' so that was one of the options I looked into (probably be around 4 or 5 hundred even so). I was pretty much guaranteed it would happen like it did last time I 'went' to Hawaii, my clothes got to go, I didn't (I was 14ish at the time and Dad was going for a meeting and decided to take me along). I could have no problem with getting to LA or San Fran, but out of there? Even Mom and Dad with their high rating for standby have problems these days due to airlines overbooking, that kind of stuff. They pretty much just stick to driving as it's easier.

It also doesn't cost a thousand dollars to drive from North LA to La Jolla! I must admit, I'd make the drive just to LOOK at the San Diego temple and pretend like I'm Cinderella! some sacrifices are worth making! ;)

It also doesn't cost a thousand dollars to drive from North LA to La Jolla! I must admit, I'd make the drive just to LOOK at the San Diego temple and pretend like I'm Cinderella! some sacrifices are worth making! ;)

I'm just glad I don't get to drive to San Diego on a Saturday morning paying $4/gallon for gas. I wouldn't be in a very spiritual mood once I got there. :P