Seriously No Politics ×

Polygamy in the N.T.

Guest Just Curious

Guest Just Curious

Are there any verses in the New Testament by Jesus or any of his original 12 apostles condoning, advocating, or accepting polygamy as an inspired practice? If anyone knows of any would you be so kind as to post what book chapter and verse

Jesus discusses (as part of one of the questions asked him) levirate marriage - which was the only instance in Old Testament law where polygamy could be required under certain circumstances. He certainly doesn't denounce it. Can we presume he would have embraced it as a part of the Law of Moses?

Ben

Are there any verses in the New Testament by Jesus or any of his original 12 apostles condoning, advocating, or accepting polygamy as an inspired practice?

I can't say I've ever read the NT looking for support for polygamy, so I can't say.

I'd assume if there was, you could find it on biblicalpolygamy.com. But the only thing they have regarding polygamy and the NT is this rather weak argument:

http://www.biblicalpolygamy.com/exegesis/a...ent-polygamist/

Matthew 19

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

According to Jesus, at least some of the Mosaic Law concerning wives was written because of the weaknesses of those to whom it was given. One could certainly suppose that polygamy itself was along this line. If so, and given that there is no support in the New Testament, we find nothing to recommend polygamy in the Bible at all.

The only thing to draw from is the early prophets...but one could then suppose that concubines are fine as well in such a case. In fact, D&C 132 specifically says concubines are fine when God gives them to you. But not OK when you go out and get your own. Interesting.....

What's interesting is how the first Christians looked upon plural marriage. This is relevant because while plural marriage is not really mentioned in the NT, it gives clues to how the 1st century apostles might have thought about it.

Tertullian said that the Lord allowed plural marriage at certain times 'to replenish the world' Tertullian, Exhortation to Chastity 6, in ANF 6:53-54.

Augustine said that plural marriage was forbiden at that time because it was against current laws and customs. Augustine, Reply to Faustus 22:47

Justin Martyr defended the plural marriage of the ancients and referred to it as one of the mysteries. Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho 141

All in all, the early Christian reasons for not practicing plural marriage in their time and yet justifying the plural marriages of the ancients is very similar to the doctrine and practice of the LDS Church today.

I think if one believes that the BOM is truly the restored gospel from Christ, then it's position is quite clear:

Jacob 2:

23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing awhoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

If this is truely the word of GOd, then it becomes clear that he is given directions to abandon the practices of "the old" (ie, those of David and Solomon some 500 years earlier) as He states that such practices have led to people rationalizing such actions to justify "the iniquities they wax within". He goes on to command:

"27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

There is no support for polygamy in the NT, that much is clear. If one is to believe that the BOM is the word of god, it covers the same periods as the NT. So if one beleives this is the same God, than we see where he gives direction for the future. Hence it supports why there is no mention of polygamy in the NT. The coming of Christ clarified a lot of things, and his direction of what marrige should be was but one of these clarifications. While it may have been (supposedly) given to His people here in the western hemisphere, I can't imagine he would have different spiritual rules based upon where one lived!

Why get bogged down by what the NT "doesn't say" when, if you believe in it, the BOM makes it very clear!?!?

The following verses demonstrate that there must have been a church council that addressed the issue of polygamy in the church. The Christian church was not run by St. Paul but by all the apostles - hence Paul was announcing the rules decided by the council:

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Tts 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

Polygamy was probably a hot topic of discussion in the Christian church. There were probably those who had multiple wives, if not in Israel - perhaps abroad. St. Paul wouldn't have had to mention marriage restrictions of certain church officers if polygamy was banned altogether.

It makes sense that certain Christians were practicing polygamy as did their forefathers in the O.T. Polygamy in the Mormon church was a continuation of both Old & New Testaments.

Paul O

Matthew 19

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

What???? He was talking to a multitude of people...sheesh... There is nothing in this verse indiacating multiple wives.

And no there is nothing in the NT in support of Polygamy. Sorry, it is a sin, one closest to murder. May those who have enjoyed this sin and those who condone this sin burn in hell.

I think if one believes that the BOM is truly the restored gospel from Christ, then it's position is quite clear:

My only complaint about your post is that you didn't get all the way to verse 30 in Jacob 2. That verse is THE answer.

Ya I noticed Joey's little trick there too. That is a blatant attempt to pull the wool over our eyes.

Well Just curious I have an Indirect Answer for you:

The New Testament, especially the Gospels talks about Abraham ALOT. Abraham had a few wives. Isaac wife(s) has escaped me me at the moment, and Jacob had a few wives as well. Yet Jesus especially was adamant in refering to Abraham as a model of righteousness... So really one has to accept the scriptures and accept that Abraham was a model of righteousness by no one less than Jesus himself, and one must also accept that he was a model of righteousness who had a few wives.

He is mentioned 70 times in the NT.

A few of those 70 references are in reference to lineage for example:

Matt. 1: 1

1 THE book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

And ost of the rest of those references state how Abraham (Or Isaac or Jacob as well) are in Heaven, and as models or patterns of righteousness. For Example:

Matt. 8: 11

11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt. 22: 32

32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Luke 13: 28

28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

Especially graphic I think.
Gal. 3: 9

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

So there you have an indirect justification for what Abraham did, and with it the rest of the Old Testament prophets who had many wives. However without latter day revelation pouring so much knowledge into the subject, I would have to been in the camp of Justin Martyr in calling it a mystery.

Interesting in how the Bible fundamentalists yell and kick and scream when some of the mysteries are finally rolled back alittle by latter day revelation. You think they would say at least show alittle interest, but ingratitude is too easy for them.

May those who have enjoyed this sin and those who condone this sin burn in hell.

LET THEM ALL BURN TOGETHER! The house of Israel is built upon the foundation of polygamy and Jesus himself is the grand offspring.

Burn Abraham! Burn Jacob! Oh ye wicked prophets!

Gen 16:1 Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

Gen 25:1 Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.

Gen 29:28 And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also.

Gen 30:4 And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.

Gen 30:9 When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her maid, and gave her Jacob to wife.

Gen 30:26 Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee.

Paul O

They never do get to that verse BCSpace........they never do............sigh.........

I argued with an anti-Mormon about this issue and he said:

"and before you run to verse 30, or 31 to try to justify polygamy, this wasn't even the original text of 1830. the original text didn't have the verse 30 that you see"

I then slammed him back and said:

"You're a liar. You have no evidence that the verse doesn't exist in the 1830 version and I do. You make a claim and then you back down like a squawking chicken. I have a copy and you haven't even let that thought sink into your brain.

As, I said, anti-Mormons make charges and then run for cover!

Who is the coward? You are! Here is a scan copy of Jacob 2:30"

That argument was kind of fun. :P

Paul O

So there you have an indirect justification for what Abraham did, and with it the rest of the Old Testament prophets who had many wives.

Let's not forget about the prophet Nathan. He was all too happy to hand out extra wives to David. I guess he will burn in hell too. :P

2Sa 12:8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Paul O

I am under the impression that the infamous Orson Pratt Rev. J.P. Newman debates in utah were about biblical polygamy. Elder Pratt whipped out his knowledge of hebrew and "beat" Rev. Newman. This same Newman said later that "Bigger guns will have to fight the mormons". I don't have any references for it but I am sure someone cvan look it up to see if it is true and what arguments Elder Orson Pratt used.

Archived