The Midrash of the Creation of the child

volgadon

I am still translating the whole thing, so the full text will follow soon, but I wanted to start a thread on the Seder Yetsirat ha-Velad, or Midrash of the Creation of the Child. It is also part of Midrash Tanhuma, Pequdei 3. Anyone who has read Scholem's Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism (p. 92), or Givens' When Souls Had Wings (p. 132) has probably a passing familiarity with this midrash. It details the process of birth, pre-mortal existence, and life's paths, including the role forgetting plays in birth. Unparalleled in its importance for understanding early Jewish concepts of pre-mortal existence, as well as the kind of thing which occupied the earlier set of Jewish philosophers and scientists. Exciting stuff.

I am still translating the whole thing, so the full text will follow soon, but I wanted to start a thread on the Seder Yetsirat ha-Velad, or Midrash of the Creation of the Child. It is also part of Midrash Tanhuma, Pequdei 3. Anyone who has read Scholem's Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism (p. 92), or Givens' When Souls Had Wings (p. 132) has probably a passing familiarity with this midrash. It details the process of birth, pre-mortal existence, and life's paths, including the role forgetting plays in birth. Unparalleled in its importance for understanding early Jewish concepts of pre-mortal existence, as well as the kind of thing which occupied the earlier set of Jewish philosophers and scientists. Exciting stuff.

Sounds interesting. I'm going to take some time to do a little research on what you have referenced. You guys who are hebrew literate have such an advantage on us gentile adoptees.:P

Cool!

I notice on LDS.org you take this a little further and this kind of stuck out at me as I read through your post.

"By calling them together as a council, God implicitly recognizes their power.

It must be assumed that the council of souls gave its approval for the creation of the

universe, since God proceeded with it after that."

I think I would see this more as God recognizing their individual freedom and he is actually EMPOWERING them. As Covey explains in 7 habits of highly successful people, one doesn't really get full cooperation from others in any program without the "buy in" or assent of those who will be participating.

This statement seems closer to the truth:

" Rabbi Levi

Yitzhak of Berditchev interprets God

I notice on LDS.org you take this a little further and this kind of stuck out at me as I read through your post.

It was on lds.net, and you are actually conflating separate posts. A Catholic there had said that no unique LDS teachings could be found in ancient Judaism and Christianity. I posted an excerpt from Howard schwartz's book, and then I mentioned the tractate about the formation of the child. I didn't post the actual thing because I hadn't translated it of yet.

"By calling them together as a council, God implicitly recognizes their power.

It must be assumed that the council of souls gave its approval for the creation of the

universe, since God proceeded with it after that."

I think I would see this more as God recognizing their individual freedom and he is actually EMPOWERING them. As Covey explains in 7 habits of highly successful people, one doesn't really get full cooperation from others in any program without the "buy in" or assent of those who will be participating.

This statement seems closer to the truth:

" Rabbi Levi

Yitzhak of Berditchev interprets God

It was on lds.net, and you are actually conflating separate posts. A Catholic there had said that no unique LDS teachings could be found in ancient Judaism and Christianity. I posted an excerpt from Howard schwartz's book, and then I mentioned the tractate about the formation of the child. I didn't post the actual thing because I hadn't translated it of yet.

Those are Howard Schwartz's observations, not mine.

Yes, should have directed my thoughts towards the author. I was kind of skimming through it.

Yes, should have directed my thoughts towards the author. I was kind of skimming through it.

That is quite alright. I appreciate you posting here. I'll open a new thread to discuss the council of souls and pre-mortal existence, if you would like.

Progress is a little slower than what I had wanted, due to some health complications in my family, but I am half-way done with the translation. Should I wait and post it in full (along with mymodest critical apparatus), or shall I post a teaser?

Here is a teaser, the journey to Paradise and Hell.

In the morning the angel takes him and leads him to Paradise (Heb. the Garden of Eden) and shows him the righteous seated in honour, and says to him: "Knowest thou to whom belonged that spirit?" He replies no. The angel says unto him: "That same one that you see in this honour and in this high degree was formed like thee inside his mother, as were this one and that one, and they kept the laws and statutes of the Holy One, blessed be He, if thou wilst do like them then after thy death thou shalt attain to the same degree and to the same honour that thou seest here, but if not, then thou shalt attain the place which I shall show thee." Towards evening he leads him to Hell (Heb. Gehinnom) and shows him the wicked, who are tormented by the destroying angels who flog and lash them with switches of fire, and they cried out, Oh! Woe!, and are not pitied. The angel says to him [the spirit]: "My son, knowest thou who these are that are burned so?" He replies no. The angel says: "Know that these were formed from a putrid drop inside their mothers just as thou wert, and they went out into the world, but they did not keep the commandments and precepts of the Holy One, blessed be He. That is why they came to this shame. And now my son, know that thou art destined to leave this place and die, so be not wicked but be righteous, and thou wilt live in the world to come." And how do we know that this is so? As it is said, "Let thy heart hold fast my words, keep my commandments, and live (Proverbs 4:4)."

Archived