Seriously No Politics ×

Support for the concept of an infinite God?

cion

Do you conclude that God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent?

If so, what is your argument to support this conclusion? I'm particularly interested in an argument that goes beyond, "The prophet says so - therefore it is true."

Have any of you ever considered an argument that contradicts this conclusion? Why or why not?

Please note I am not interested in the question of God's existence at this time for this is not the question.

Thank you!

I would like to present an argument that God is not infinite.

God is not infinite because he is subject to Justice. God is male and therefore does not encompass all humanity. God has changed moral ideals and is therefore not perfect.

A God who is actually a personage vs an amorphous object with no limits is much more comforting to me and indicates a being of much greater power just because he has to work within the laws of the universe. I don't agree that he has changed moral ideals. I think his morality transcends our understanding and we are limited by our own vision.

Of course we could say he is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent within the boundaries of those laws, since he is the master of the laws. He certainly knows each of us as individuals.

A God who is actually a personage vs an amorphous object with no limits is much more comforting to me and indicates a being of much greater power just because he has to work within the laws of the universe. I don't agree that he has changed moral ideals. I think his morality transcends our understanding and we are limited by our own vision.

Of course we could say he is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent within the boundaries of those laws, since he is the master of the laws. He certainly knows each of us as individuals.

Thank you Deborah. I agree that worship of a personage similar to our own is more meaningful than an amorphous, genderless object/spirit. I don't see how he can be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent while still bound by his environment (laws etc.). That is a contradiction.

I don't see how [God] can be omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent while still bound by his environment (laws etc.). That is a contradiction.

It depends on how He defines "omniscient", "omnipresent", and "omnipotent". I submit that the way most Christians imagine these characteristics is not what He knows them to be.

Part of the answer to this problem lies in the reason there is a tri-partite Godhead, rather than a single Being.

Lehi

Cion, I agree with you, I do not think he is infinite (aka, undescribable, ununderstandable). I think he is so wise though that from our point of view, it is infinite. But it isn't, because it's definable, and understandable, and relatable. I think it's actually a great thing, him being able to be talked to, and understood, and loved, it is a great thing indeed that it is =D.

If you want someone who believes God is infinite... I'd suggest you talk to Questing Beast, that is his position I believe.

Best Wishes,

TAO =)

Hi,

By these things we know that there is
a God
in heaven, who is
infinite
and
eternal
, from everlasting to everlasting
the same unchangeable God
, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them; ...Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God,
infinite
and
eternal
, without end. Amen. --D&C 20:17,28

God is not one finite personage. God is a lineage of personages with no beginning. The finite beings that are God are in complete unity, and share all knowledge and power and experience.

Collectively they are omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent in the fullest sense possible-- but not individually. The verses above are speaking about God collectively.

Richard

God is not one finite personage. God is a lineage of personages with no beginning. The finite beings that are God are in complete unity, and share all knowledge and power and experience.

So, when you pray, do you say, "Dear Gods?"

Respectfully,

Balzer

Yes.

If so, what is your argument to support this conclusion? I'm particularly interested in an argument that goes beyond, "The prophet says so - therefore it is true."

To me, it's all relative. Relative to us, God is those things. But ultimately, God is just highly accurate in His omniscience. And the answer to questions like, "Can God microwave a burrito so hot He can't eat it?", is always no.

I do conclude this in a limited degree. I will note that "omni" doesn't have to necessitate "infinite". It simply mean "all". In, if there is only so much gold in the universe, then all the gold there is does not have to imply an infinite amount. Also on the notion of omnipotence, I would narrow the scope of the term to the concept that God is omnipotent in doing anything that is consistent with his nature and is also completely impotent in doing anything contrary to his nature.

The reason for the clarification, is to avoid the senseless paradoxes... like square circles for instance..that get attached these terms when you remove such terminology from their application to the believer.

I am an Evangelical. Primary support for my position can be found in the Bible. I can list some verses that are germane to the topic if you need me to. So I think the principle argument would be that the Bible is Gods word.

Have any of you ever considered an argument that contradicts this conclusion? Why or why not?
Yes I have, I was agnostic for a number of years.

Please note I am not interested in the question of God's existence at this time for this is not the question.

Are you prepared to make the assumption God does indeed exist then? or are you just setting aside existence issues for discussion sake.

Archived