Seriously No Politics ×

Was/Is Jesus Married?

inquiringmind

Was Jesus married when He was on earth?

Does He have a wife/wives now?

What if he was? What is it to you? J/k.

I know of no offical doctrine that says Jesus is/was married. I believe he is married and has at least one wife, though.

Even though I am not LDS, the idea of Jesus being married while on earth does not bother me in the least, nor does the idea that He may have had children. That is one area where I part company with most, if not all, of my fellow RRLDS (Restorationist RLDS) brothers and sisters.

PS... I do not believe He is married now, as I see marriage as an earthly institution.

I know of no offical doctrine that says Jesus is/was married. I believe he is married and has at least one wife, though.

When I was a member, I too was of the belief that Jesus was married and had been married while on earth. This stemmed from the belief that we (humans) would not be asked to do those things that christ himself had not done while he was on earth.

For those who might have heard of this belief (that we would not be asked to do that which christ himself had not already done), is it rooted in doctrine or is it one of those mormon "folklore" beliefs?

I am among those who believe He was married, possibly to multiple women (Mary Magdalene and Martha, and possibly her sister, Martha, as well), but have little scriptural evidence to support the assumption.

However, there is some scripture evidencing it, notably the fact that Jesus appeared to His wives before visiting His Apostles, and even before rising to meet His Father. In this short passage, Mary uses the word "Rabboni", "my master", used by I wives in addressing their husbands.

A Jewish father, like Joseph, had two duties to his son: to teach him a trade, and to secure him a wife. Joseph was a pious Jew, and to have failed in either one would have been as great a scandal as Mary's pregnancy fifteen years earlier. In addition, He was a rabbi (at least He is so called in the Gospels) and while mandated rabbinical marriage was not a I tradition, it would have been odd and needed an explanation had He been unmarried. No such explanation exists, leading us to infer He was married.

What God hath joined, let no man put asunder. If He was married then, He is married now. If He was not married then, He may be waiting until the final judgment of the world before taking His wife. We do not know, but, as others as well as I have said, there are hints and whispers in the scriptures.

Lehi

When I was a member, I too was of the belief that Jesus was married and had been married while on earth. This stemmed from the belief that we (humans) would not be asked to do those things that christ himself had not done while he was on earth.

For those who might have heard of this belief (that we would not be asked to do that which christ himself had not already done), is it rooted in doctrine or is it one of those mormon "folklore" beliefs?

That is a good question. I am not sure is a scripture that specifically says this. What I have heard (mainly with regards to baptism) is that Jesus had to obey all the commands of the Father. That is why Jesus was baptised, and as I recall that is in teh BoM. So, from this we deduce that because we must be married to enter into the highest level of the CK (from the D&C) reasons stands that Jesus must have fulfilled that command too.

At this point I am not willing to claim this (that we would not be asked to do that which christ himself had not already done) as folk doctrine.

Hard to say, but there is this:

6 [Jesus Christ] ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;

I believe He would, just as any true leader does not require of his subordinates what he would not do himself, Christ would not impose on us what He did not accomplish in His own lifetime.

Lehi

By doctrinal implication, Jesus must be married now. I find it likely Jesus was married in mortality but without any evidence or revelation/doctrine, I can't say for sure. I don't think there is any problem with him not being married in mortality except the seeming shortness of time to find a wife in the Spirit World. But if Jesus was that perfect, I don't think any woman (or women as the case may be) would have much trouble falling instantly in love. All he'd have to do is call them. The rest of us guys need a Groundhog Day scenario to get it right.

I believe He would, just as any true leader does not require of his subordinates what he would not do himself, Christ would not impose on us what He did not accomplish in His own lifetime.

That's a good point and it jives with Alma 7:11-12.

The church's official answer is "we do not know."

The reality is "yes and yes."

If a man gets a fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord...

All men who become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ will have to receive the fulness of the ordinances of his kingdom; and those who will not receive all the ordinances will come short of the fulness of that glory. (Joseph Smith)

Jesus received all of the temple ordinances, including eternal marriage and the fullness of the priesthood--both ordinances require a wife.

We don't know. But I believe He was for the following reasons: 1) it was typical of men His age to be married and therefore it seems likely that a comment would have been preserved if e was not. 2) He was a model for baptism. Therefore why wouldn't He also be a model for marriage which is an earthly ordinance (can be sealed in heaven, but families are the foundation of heaven.) 3) Marriage covenants must be made on earth and He would have wanted needed marriage (both as part of his infinite atonement experience, and for eternity. 4) The marriage relationship is the only reasonable explanation for why He appeared after his resurrection to Mary Magdalene first, before any of His priestly duties. The only thing that comes before duty to God (or maybe just duty to church) would be family, in this case spouse.

Hi Silver,

Hi Ceeboo,

Why not?

Because he wasn't?

Why is the idea of Christ being married (to one wife) uncomfortable/heretical/blasphemous?

Because he is God Almighty/Creator of all in the flesh?

Peace,

Ceeboo

Hi Silver,

Because he wasn't?

Peace,

Ceeboo

I personally believe that Christ was married. I seem to recall that Rabbi's were required to be married, however I could be wrong. Beyond that, if the new and everlasting covenant of Marriage is required for the Celestrial kingdom; and Christ was our perfect example, then he had to have been married and sealed to a woman.

Besides, Mary M. was present at some very critical moments after his dead. Moments where I doubt someone of "no importance" would have been. I think that people who have claimed that Mary M was an apostle have missed the mark, as I suspect that instead she was one of the wives, or the wife of Christ.

Hi Silver,

Because he wasn't?

So if Jesus was God Incarnate, then marriage is simply an impossibility.

Fair enough.

So the idea of Almighty God being married to a mortal human is just too blasphemous to consider.

That is definitely a reasonable and fair conclusion.

If I were a Trinitarian, I would agree.

We don't know. But I believe He was for the following reasons: 1) it was typical of men His age to be married and therefore it seems likely that a comment would have been preserved if e was not. 2) He was a model for baptism. Therefore why wouldn't He also be a model for marriage which is an earthly ordinance (can be sealed in heaven, but families are the foundation of heaven.) 3) Marriage covenants must be made on earth and He would have wanted needed marriage (both as part of his infinite atonement experience, and for eternity. 4) The marriage relationship is the only reasonable explanation for why He appeared after his resurrection to Mary Magdalene first, before any of His priestly duties. The only thing that comes before duty to God (or maybe just duty to church) would be family, in this case spouse.

If the Restored Gospel is true, I grant that it probably follows that Jesus was married. It is similar kinds of developed reasoning that leads Catholics, without explicit revelation, to conclude that our Lady, the Blessed Virgin, was assumed into heaven. I think Mormons are being consistent in concluding that Jesus was likely married. I do not believe that "what God hath joined together, let not man put asunder" speaks to the question of whether Christ is married now. It would need to be for other reasons, and I think Mormons have them, that you might believe that marriage is eternal.

Catholics and other Christians believe that death breaks the bond of marriage.

For the woman that hath an husband, whilst her husband liveth is bound to the law. But if her husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
---Romans 7:2

I am confident that from other sources, revelations that non-Mormons disregard as inauthentic, Mormons conclude that marriage is eternal. But there is good reason to doubt eternal marriage if you reject Latter-day revelation. "Let not man put asunder" can be and is reasonably understood as an assertion of the perpetuity of marriage in this life. It acknowledges that death ends the marriage, but that divorce in the event of a true marriage is impossible. .

3DOP

Hard to say, but there is this:

Lehi

So, which is it? Is marriage an imposition or an accomplishment? Careful if your wife is watching...

;0)

Q

So, which is it? Is marriage an imposition or an accomplishment? Careful if your wife is watching...

uh... YES!

ELF is absolutely correct, marriage is not dissimilar to anything difficult that is worthwhile. I graduated from OCS knowing it was a "million dollar" experience: I wouldn't take a million dollars for it, but I wouldn't take a million dollars to do it again, either.

As for marriage, the million dollars is a low price, it would be hundreds of billions (or trillions when hyper inflation kicks in next year), but it's the same: worth it, but very very hard to complete successfully.

Lehi

Jesus wasn't a rabbi.
38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

There were no rabbis during his lifetime.

Then we should throw out this (among eight that use the word explicitly) verse from the Bible:

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

I read this as His calling Himself a rabbi, your mileage may vary.

The station we know today as "rabbi" may not have existed, but the term was applied to students of the Old Testament scriptures whose opinions and sayings others respected and sought out.

Of course, I didn't make the claim that Jesus was a XXI (or even VI) rabbi, so I have no dog in this fight. However, I have read that an unmarried adult Jew (of either sex) would have been a sore thumb oddity, and would not have been accepted by his (or His) contemporaries.

And, we should not forget that there are Saints (I among them) who believe that His marital status was "Plural". And, in spite of fabricated "evidence", I Jews did practice polygyny. Jesus' hypothesized two or three wives would not have been out of place in His time.

Lehi

Archived