Seriously No Politics ×

Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz on Eternal Progression

volgadon

http://www.makor-c.org/content.asp?pageid=233

I don't have the time to post a full translation, but I will post the gist of it. Rabbi Adin steinsaltz is also the chief translator of a recent edition of the Babylonian Talmud into English.

There is no rest for the righteous, not in this world or in the world to come (Ps. 84:7). A righteous man (tsaddik) completes one world, completes his learning in this world, and is raised into a different world. What does he gain? He works and studies always, but each time the questions he has belong to a higher world. This is what he gains, not the rest.

http://www.makor-c.org/content.asp?pageid=233

I don't have the time to post a full translation, but I will post the gist of it. Rabbi Adin steinsaltz is also the chief translator of a recent edition of the Babylonian Talmud into English.

There is no rest for the righteous, not in this world or in the world to come (Ps. 84:7). A righteous man (tsaddik) completes one world, completes his learning in this world, and is raised into a different world. What does he gain? He works and studies always, but each time the questions he has belong to a higher world. This is what he gains, not the rest.

Interesting. I assume this is in the context of Kabbalistic reincarnation theory. Is that right?

Interesting. I assume this is in the context of Kabbalistic reincarnation theory. Is that right?

Actually, it appears not. That is the most interesting part about it. Being first and foremost a talmudist, he is using a statement about the righteous having no peace not in this world, nor in the world to come (B. Berachot 64a) for a homily on parashat va-yeshev (Gen. 37:1-40:23). Jacob plans on some peace, but gets family problems instead. Steinsaltz is explaining why it is that the righteous can find no peace and no rest in the world. Steinsaltz holds that the righteous always progress by going from one series of hard questions, to bigger ones.

Of course, though he doesn't go quite as far, it isn't difficult to follow the implications of man's relationship to God.

http://www.makor-c.o....asp?pageid=233

Bet the Rabbi was as popular with the crowd as the LDS are with this idea nowadays, lol.

Archived