Four Responses to Truth

LeSellers

If you google "tolerance for ambiguity" you will get a host of hits describing how mature thought often includes willingness to allow for contradiction and that "truth" is often in the eyes of the beholder.

Kevin Christensen often links to a scale of ways of thinking, which unfortunately I cannot locate at the moment, devised by a psychologist, which ranks and characterizes naive through complex and more mature thought patterns, and is similar to what you have posted in the OP. Perhaps if Kevin sees this he could re-post that link.

But through all my years of study (being an "old guy" at least to my kids!) I have seen confirmed and re-confirmed variations of the points you made in the OP.

The ability to finally see the world as a complex place, with may points of view and yet seeing the coherence in those diverse ways of seeing things, changes one irrevocably, I think. To a great extent, communication starts when we can "see as a child", with a willingness to let those firm delineations we have created for ourselves, evaporate for a minute, to allow ourselves to see as others see things.

But this process also irrevocably changes what we think of as "true". It is no longer hard and fast, no longer "this or that", not black or white but all becomes a continuum from the whitest of whites through the blackest of blacks.

The good news is, that when we see things that way, we see that there is room enough for everyone on this silly little planet of ours, and ultimately, not much, of real importance, to argue about.

How 'bout expanding on this?

I really would like to see others' comments on the concept.

Lehi

Nah, it's just I think #4 is the best, that's all =).

But nah, number 4 does not lead back to #1... the difference is that #1 does not have a good knowledge about #2 and #3, whereas #4 does. That's the reason #4 doesn't fall often - because it knows what being like #2 and #3 are like.

number 4 does not lead back to #1... the difference is that #1 does not have a good knowledge about #2 and #3, whereas #4 does. That's the reason #4 doesn't fall often - because it knows what being like #2 and #3 are like.

This morning, I was playing with the newest's older sister. She's not quite two. I had the string, and I'd pull it until the balloon she was holding slipped out of her hands. Rebounding, it would fly through the air until it hit me (in the face, typically), and she'd laugh and laugh. She was the child, but I'd giggle, too, because there was something right in the universe. I believe that in this, I'm at "level four".

The balloon wasn't entertaining to me. Even when she held the string and "pulled" the balloon out of my grasp so it struck her, it wasn't funny to me in the way it had been to her. But I genuinely enjoyed this and it was profoundly important to me. And anyone who would think it "childish" doesn't understand grandparenthood in the least. He probably could not understand "faith", either.

Lehi

This morning, I was playing with the newest's older sister. She's not quite two. I had the string, and I'd pull it until the balloon she was holding slipped out of her hands. Rebounding, it would fly through the air until it hit me (in the face, typically), and she'd laugh and laugh. She was the child, but I'd giggle, too, because there was something right in the universe. I believe that in this, I'm at "level four".

The balloon wasn't entertaining to me. Even when she held the string and "pulled" the balloon out of my grasp so it struck her, it wasn't funny to me in the way it had been to her. But I genuinely enjoyed this and it was profoundly important to me. And anyone who would think it "childish" doesn't understand grandparenthood in the least. He probably could not understand "faith", either.

Lehi

Yes, I think this is what being number 4 is about... understanding, that the simple thing... those are the most important things. The joyful things, the blissful things, the happy things... they are worth living for. Bagging on others, anger, showing off... all this stuff seems good at the moment, but we pay for it later... it's not worth living. To be a child, to be innocent and meek again, is truly worth living again, it's the best life there can be =).

They say ignorance is bliss, and I'd have to say, I don't know about ignorance, but I'd say innocence is surely bliss. Maybe a bit more, but nothing less in the least. =D.

Archived