Seriously No Politics ×

The Lamb's Book of Life

mercyngrace

What does it mean to have your name written in the Lamb's book of life?

From D&C 132:19

And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them

D&C 88:2

2 Behold, this is pleasing unto your Lord, and the angels rejoice over you; the alms of your prayers have come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded in the book of the names of the sanctified, even them of the celestial world.

Revelation 13:8

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Luke 10:20

20Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

In the last reference the Apostles had not yet been sanctified as they were on the Day of Pentecost. Having already their names written in heaven would be the names of those whom the Father had given unto the Son, none of whom were to be lost except the son of perdition. I suppose there should be a book written as Brigham Young suggested that records all the children of Adam. Why not. Three books perhaps if not more. For out of the books we shall be judged. Interesting to note that our mighty prayers will be recorded in the books that are written.

If the Lamb's book of life is the same as the book of the sanctified then there is only one way that your name would be written in the Lamb's book of life. You would have to be sanctified. This is fully accomplished when you are visited of the power of the Father and truly wrought upon and cleansed by the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, ratifying the gospel covenant and making you a son or daughter of God. I looked for the reference of David O Mckay's experience on his mission to Scotland where he saw a vision of a scroll that said those who are born again have their names written in the lamb's book of life. If I am not mistaken.

Perhaps we should look at the opposite-

What does it mean to not have your name written in the book of life?

Here-

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

(New Testament | Revelation 20:14 - 15)

It appears that to not have your name written in the book of life means you are sealed unto perdition and suffer the second death.

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

(New Testament | Revelation 3:5)

Here is where it becomes to be more clear. One must end up washed and cleansed through the atonement in order to not have their name blotted out. So, a person who is not in the book of life is someone who failed to repent and be baptized and thus be cleansed through the atonement. We are getting into some tricky and sticky doctrines here because there is a teaching in the church that one can be saved and yet not enter into baptism. There is also a teaching that the book of life is only reserved for the names of the celestial world. There aboth truths and untruths to some of these teachings and the principle key here to making heads and tails out of it is understanding exactly why we are here and where we are going after we die.

If we can begin to understand that there is only one path leading to salvation and one final destination (celestial world) then it starts to become clear. Part of this doctrine is also realizing that as one progresses down this road towards salvation there is no stopping point and that it does eventually lead to godhood for "every individual" who is on that path. Some have believed that it is possible to be saved for all eternity in a single condiotion (without a spouse) but I personally believe this is not correct and that the provisions of the temple endowment show that salvation in the "singular" is impossible.

Don't know if this is what you were inquiring about or not.

Archived