Seriously No Politics ×

Evangelical Pastor ignites firestorm

mercyngrace

Article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ev4VdNbBPA&feature=player_embedded

How many Gods there are, and how many places there are in their kingdoms, is not for me to say; but I can say this, which is a source of much comfort, consolation, and gratification to me: Behold the goodness, the long-suffering, the kindness, and the strong parental feeling of our Father and God in preparing the way and providing the means to save the children of men

Article

How many Gods there are, and how many places there are in their kingdoms, is not for me to say; but I can say this, which is a source of much comfort, consolation, and gratification to me: Behold the goodness, the long-suffering, the kindness, and the strong parental feeling of our Father and God in preparing the way and providing the means to save the children of men

I saw this on Facebook and I really loved it. It came from a Progressive Christianity site. What a wonderful message...which really IS "Good News".

Of course, the poor man will be considered a heretic (a universalist) in most Orthodox circles.

The best Christians are :P

Seems so, doesn't it? ;)

didn't someone in the Book of Mormon preach there was not Hell and that God would save all?

On my mission I met a couple who said "This life is hell, mortality is hell, there is no hell after death, because we are all living in hell right now" About two tears ago, I heard of a preacher who also taught there is no hell.

Do the LDS believe in Hell, yes, in two ways, One hell is for Sons of Perdition from which there seems no relief. the other hell is for those who must suffer their own sins, having rejected that Christ has suffered for their sins.

The book from this man will be interesting to only understand what he thinks.

didn't someone in the Book of Mormon preach there was not Hell and that God would save all?

On my mission I met a couple who said "This life is hell, mortality is hell, there is no hell after death, because we are all living in hell right now" About two tears ago, I heard of a preacher who also taught there is no hell.

Do the LDS believe in Hell, yes, in two ways, One hell is for Sons of Perdition from which there seems no relief. the other hell is for those who must suffer their own sins, having rejected that Christ has suffered for their sins.

The book from this man will be interesting to only understand what he thinks.

It will be interesting. And you're right, we do believe in hell but we don't believe in a punishment that does not end. We believe that all men (except sons of perdition whose endstate is unknowable) will be saved! This proposition was radical in JS's day and is just as heretical today.

We really don't believe in "hell" the way that many other Christians do. It's why we don't baptize babies. It's why we do baptize the dead.

We believe that all men (except sons of perdition whose endstate is unknowable) will be saved!

We believe all men will receive an inheritance after paying for there sins if they refuse to accept Christ. We do believe in a Hell we call it Spirit Prison, the difference is our Spirit Prison isn't eternal, it lasts till the Day of Judgement and then those who never accepted Christ inherit the lowest Glory.

There is also Outer Darkness but this is reserved only for those that rebelled against God after seeing him, Jesus Christ, or an Angel, these persons are commonly called Sons of Perdition.

I think most Evangelicals have enough sense to say some day, "If we can't beat them, let's join them!"

We really don't believe in "hell" the way that many other Christians do. It's why we don't baptize babies. It's why we do baptize the dead.

The hell we believe in is still a pretty awful place; we just don't think that most people who go there will be staying there forever.

I think most Evangelicals have enough sense to say some day, "If we can't beat them, let's join them!"

I think there are two points here that need to be clarified. Firstly, the word salvation in LDS theology has two different meanings: In its wider sense, it applies to anyone who obtains any of the three degrees of glory. In its narrower sense, it means only those who obtain exaltation, or a celestial degree of glory. In that sense of the term, there are indeed few that will be "saved".

Secondly, although it is true that God does not send everyone to hell forever, the hell to which He does send them is still a pretty awful place, and they could be staying there for an awful long time!

Psalms 16:10: "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption."

That's pretty dang good authority right from the First Temple Liturgical Psalms. We may well deserve eternal punishment, but G-d doesn't do such things to His children.

I think there are two points here that need to be clarified. Firstly, the word salvation in LDS theology has two different meanings: In its wider sense, it applies to anyone who obtains any of the three degrees of glory. In its narrower sense, it means only those who obtain exaltation, or a celestial degree of glory. In that sense of the term, there are indeed few that will be "saved".

Eternal life is life in the highest heaven of the celestial world; it is exaltation; it is the name of the kind of life God lives. It consists of a continuation of the family unit in eternity. We have quoted scriptures saying that children will be saved in the celestial kingdom, but now face the further query as to whether this includes the greatest of all the gifts of God

Psalms 16:10: "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption."

That's pretty dang good authority right from the First Temple Liturgical Psalms. We may well deserve eternal punishment, but G-d doesn't do such things to His children.

And pray tell, what relevance did that have to my post to which you were replying?

Eternal life is life in the highest heaven of the celestial world; it is exaltation; it is the name of the kind of life God lives. It consists of a continuation of the family unit in eternity. We have quoted scriptures saying that children will be saved in the celestial kingdom, but now face the further query as to whether this includes the greatest of all the gifts of God

Zerinus,

You are too cute.

I post quotes from church leaders, without any commentary and you dispute them. I post scriptures and you tell me I am misinterpreting them. I'm not sure which is more endearing, your constant condescension or the fact that you really believe you know the doctrine of the church better than Joseph Smith and Elder McConkie.

I'll bet you're a hoot at parties, too!

MnG

Zerinus,

You are too cute.

I post quotes from church leaders, without any commentary and you dispute them. I post scriptures and you tell me I am misinterpreting them. I'm not sure which is more endearing, your constant condescension or the fact that you really believe you know the doctrine of the church better than Joseph Smith and Elder McConkie.

I'll bet you're a hoot at parties, too!

MnG

LOL!

And pray tell, what relevance did that have to my post to which you were replying?

It's considered good manners not to complain when somebody agrees with you and provides actual evidence supportive of your post.

USU "You, of course, are free to disagree" 78

What there is no eternal damnation for everyone I don't like or I don't agree with!!! I can't accept such craziness!!! Oh, wait I can because I am Mormon and have the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ which has been teaching us that our punishment for sin is not eternal that all who are not Sons or Perdition will receive the mercy of Christ and inherit there proper reward. Some will suffer longer than others, some will not suffer one second in the spirit world because they were righteous and had faith in the Jesus Christ, accepted his restored Gospel, received the ordinances of salvation, and endure to the end.

This is the greatest blessing of the Restored Gospel to know that Christ saves all who can be saved from damnation, the only thing he can't do is force us into exaltation. We decide what rewards we receive in heaven by our works, but Christ saves all who can be saved, give all who lived on this Earth a resurrected body, and rewards us justly by our works.

Not having to worry about hell fire or if my friends or family will be damned is a great relief, I know that I can lovingly and patiently preach them the restored Gospel because they can choose to accept or reject it and in the end they will still not be damned eternally. They will receive a lower glory for not accepting the Restored Gospel in this life, this is the true love of a merciful God!

Sounds rather....Rameumptom-ish.

I find the comments of this Pastor to be very interesting. This is because I have noticed over the years that the restoration pops up in all kinds of places and serves to show that the restoration was about much more than the founding of the church - or even the re-establishment of the priesthood.

For axample, how many ministers/churches now teach that an unbaptised baby goes to hell? Who preaches about "original sin" nowadays? I attended an Evangelical church service a few years back where the preacher stated that Jesus was our older brother.

To me, this Pastor demonstrates that the restoration resulted in new light bursting upon the scene and enlightening all who see it. As we in the church drive forward in our quest to establish Zion in it's fulness, I believe we will be surprised at both the number and faith of those who come with us.

I find the comments of this Pastor to be very interesting. This is because I have noticed over the years that the restoration pops up in all kinds of places and serves to show that the restoration was about much more than the founding of the church - or even the re-establishment of the priesthood.

For axample, how many ministers/churches now teach that an unbaptised baby goes to hell? Who preaches about "original sin" nowadays? I attended an Evangelical church service a few years back where the preacher stated that Jesus was our older brother.

To me, this Pastor demonstrates that the restoration resulted in new light bursting upon the scene and enlightening all who see it. As we in the church drive forward in our quest to establish Zion in it's fulness, I believe we will be surprised at both the number and faith of those who come with us.

I absolutely agree, Alan. It's the principle of the leaven. Or perhaps it's better compared to the healing waters that flow from the temple in Ezekiel.

Whatever Pastor Bell gets wrong, imo, he is much closer to the truth than those who oppose him. Consider these words from the comment section under the article linked above:

Dustyluv

Posted on March 6, 2011 at 1:41pm

This guy is an Evangelist? You gotta be kidding me. As a former Pastor I could make mincemeat out of that short video. The Bibke

Article

Archived