Seriously No Politics ×

Question on the family (both time and eternity)

Tribunal

I think I remember reading that there's a difference between being married (for a time), being married (for a time) and sealed (for eternity), and just being sealed (for eternity). Can someone point me to a source for this information? Is my memory even correct?

If so...

Can a man be sealed to more than one women? Would he be married to them? Is it possible for a man to be married and sealed to more than one woman?

Can a woman be sealed to more than one man? Would she be married to them? Is it possible for a woman to be married and sealed to more than one man?

Is there any doctrine, or comments made by General Authorities, to support that Heavenly Father has more than one wife?

Is there any doctrine, or comments made by General Authorities, to support that there will be plural marriage in the Celestial Kingdom?

For the sake of argument I define 'marriage' as a man (husband) and a woman (wife) founding a family for the purpose of having children.

A man can be sealed to more than one woman but can presently only have one legal wife in mortality. After a woman is dead she can be sealed to all husbands she ever had so long as all husbands are also dead. How this works in the afterlife is not known. Furthermore we don't know how spirit children are created. The sealing power binds us together in families. I think that's about all be know.

I think I remember reading that there's a difference between being married (for a time), being married (for a time) and sealed (for eternity), and just being sealed (for eternity). Can someone point me to a source for this information? Is my memory even correct?

A sealing is a marriage so there is no need to separate the two since they are one in the same. The only difference is that a civil marriage last on till death do you part, and a temple marriage lasts for time and eternity.

Can a man be sealed to more than one women? Would he be married to them? Is it possible for a man to be married and sealed to more than one woman?

If the Lord commands his people to practice polygamy, as he has done multiple times throughout the scriptures, then a man can be sealed to more that one wife. Also if a man is sealed to his wife that wife passes away and he marries another woman in the temple is also sealed to both women for eternity.

Can a woman be sealed to more than one man? Would she be married to them? Is it possible for a woman to be married and sealed to more than one man?

There is accusations that some of Joseph Smith's wives were had another husband while they were married to Smith but this comes mostly from Anti-Mormons so I take there hatred with a grain of salt.

As far as the scriptures show, and a far as I understand them, a woman cannot have multiple husbands at the same time. She can remarry if a spouse passes away and that would result in serial polyandry.

Is there any doctrine, or comments made by General Authorities, to support that Heavenly Father has more than one wife?

Probably, most early Church leaders believed that polygamy was a vital part of exaltation, so I assume that they also believed that Heavenly Father had many wives.

There is no doctrine though that says that Heavenly Father has more than one wife.

Is there any doctrine, or comments made by General Authorities, to support that there will be plural marriage in the Celestial Kingdom?

Doctrine and Covenants 132 covers polygamy well and implies that there will be polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom and that such polygamy is approved by God.

After a woman is dead she can be sealed to all husbands she ever had so long as all husbands are also dead.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will absolutely NOT perform any proxy plural marriages in there temples currently, anyone caught performing actual or proxy plural marriages will be excommunicated, as have past members caught performing proxy or current plural marriages have been excommunicated.

This is the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1890.

Sealing is not equal to marriage (parents don't get married to their children, for example).

I would disagree, you are correct that a sealing to parents is not a marriage to there children, but remember that children are only sealed to there parents if there parents didn't have a temple marriage (sealing) before they were born.

The Sealing (or temple marriage) is a marriage, it is a marriage ceremony and is recognized in the United States and other nations as a solemnizing ceremony to legally marry a man and wife.

A man can be sealed to more than one woman but can presently only have one legal wife in mortality. After a woman is dead she can be sealed to all husbands she ever had so long as all husbands are also dead. How this works in the afterlife is not known. Furthermore we don't know how spirit children are created. The sealing power binds us together in families. I think that's about all be know.

You mean legally as in US law? Or the law brought forthe by God?

So if a man marries a woman, and is sealed to her, and she dies, would he not be engaging in polygamy if he were to marry a second or third woman, and be sealed to them? From an eternal perspective if a man marries more than one woman he's engaged in plural marriage? The same goes for a woman who marries more than one man in her life-time.

There is accusations that some of Joseph Smith's wives were had another husband while they were married to Smith but this comes mostly from Anti-Mormons so I take there hatred with a grain of salt.

The fact that Joseph was sealed to women who were married to other men is described by Bushman in Rough Stone Rolling. And Bushman is not an anti-mormon. He is actually a stake patriarch. And a very qualified and honest historian as well.

Can a man be sealed to more than one women?

Yes.

Would he be married to them?

It depends if God wills it so. I would think so for some.

Is it possible for a man to be married and sealed to more than one woman?

Yes.

Can a woman be sealed to more than one man?

Yes.

Would she be married to them?

Again, it depends if God wills it so. I would tend to think no.

Is it possible for a woman to be married and sealed to more than one man?

Yes it is possible, but I do not know if God would make her solely for one of the men, or both. I don't think it's been revealed... a good mystery =).

Certain ones by BY and such... but I wouldn't worry so much about it, he will have what he has.

Yes I believe. And it makes sense logically in my mind, but yah, that's just for me.

Rivers:

He was also Sealed to other men.

I'm sealed to other men. My Dad, my brothers, many of my male ancestors.

Sealing isn't only sealing spouses together. it is sealing families together. When Joseph Smith practiced plural marriage, some of the affidavits from his wives described Smith as saying that he was binding whole families to himself. I think he was beginning the work of sealing the human race together.

I think he was beginning the work of sealing the human race together.

That is an awesome concept! Is that the point? Joseph Smith introduced the Atonement of the human race in our current dispensation? I've read that Joseph Smith only begat children with Emma, not the other wives. If this is true and I believe it is when did plural marriage turn into polygamy?

Is polygamy sanctioned by God? If so why? Why would a man need more than one baby-producing wife in Heaven? Why would God need more than one life-producing wife in Heaven? That is what I don't understand but wish I did.

You mean legally as in US law? Or the law brought forthe by God?

So if a man marries a woman, and is sealed to her, and she dies, would he not be engaging in polygamy if he were to marry a second or third woman, and be sealed to them? From an eternal perspective if a man marries more than one woman he's engaged in plural marriage? The same goes for a woman who marries more than one man in her life-time.

Yes that's true.

My grandfather's first wife died so he remarried and was sealed to his second wife. Then the second wife died and he remarried to a third but she was already sealed to her first husband (who had died) so they were not sealed. However, begining in the late 90's the church began allowing women who have had more than one husband to be sealed to all husbands they ever had. After my grandfather is dead and his current/third wife is dead he can also be sealed to his third wife. So when they are all dead, it would seem that my grandfather will have three wives and his thrid wife will have two husbands. Based on my current understanding, I think that a form a polyfidelity (men with multiple wives and women with multiple husbands) might be going on in the afterlife but I could be wrong.

The polyandry sealings are described here on this website:

http://familyhistory...edu/Lesson1.php

The quote says:

"Deceased women married more than once

You may have a deceased woman sealed to all men to whom she was legally married. However, if she was sealed to a husband during her life, all her husbands must be deceased before she can be sealed to a husband to whom she was not sealed during life."

In summation, the church allows plural marriage/multiple sealings for those beyone the veil but we can only have one living spouse in mortality. If you read Jacob Chapter 2 in the Book of Mormon you will see that monogamy is the rule and polygamy has been the exception during mortality. The reason given for this rule is that plural marriage is abused and people get their hearts broken. I think its a great rule.

I'm sealed to other men. My Dad, my brothers, many of my male ancestors.

Sealing isn't only sealing spouses together. it is sealing families together. When Joseph Smith practiced plural marriage, some of the affidavits from his wives described Smith as saying that he was binding whole families to himself. I think he was beginning the work of sealing the human race together.

Actually you are only indirectly sealed to your brothers. You are sealed to your parents, and they are sealed to your brothers.

I am presently sealed to three women myself - my mother, my wife, and my daughter.

I am indirectly sealed to many more women - my sister, my sisters-in-law, my grandmothers, my aunts, my cousins, my nieces, etc. I am even sealed indirectly to several polygamous marriages - those of my ancestors a few generations back.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will absolutely NOT perform any proxy plural marriages in there temples currently, anyone caught performing actual or proxy plural marriages will be excommunicated, as have past members caught performing proxy or current plural marriages have been excommunicated.

This is the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1890.

In doing work for the dead, the rule is that all legal marriages can be sealed by proxy in the temple. Men can me sealed to all women to whom they were legally married and all women can be sealed to all men to whom they were legally married. You cannot seal people together that were not legally married but if they were legally married during mortality you can seal them. Wether or not this results in plural marriage in the afterlife I cannot say.

What is all this about Joseph Smith binding the human race together? How is him becoming sealed to multiple women helping that.

I don't understand that but I'm sure there is some logic in it somewhere, I'm just not seeing it.

I wonder if it goes along the lines of Joseph Smith being a tool to re-institute the Priesthood of God, to re-institute temple work, and to re-institute the sealing of one person to another, etc.

I also wonder if we've somehow perverted the institution of sealing one person to another and made it into polygamy? If this is the case then I'd like to know where and when our leaders went wrong?

Archived