Seriously No Politics ×

1 Cor 11

Lareliw

I have been studying this section of the Bible in an online women's study group, and I was curious as to why LDS women do not cover their hair?

I have been studying this section of the Bible in an online women's study group, and I was curious as to why LDS women do not cover their hair?

It was a cultural thing: In Paul's day, a woman without her veil (the meaning of the term translated "with her head uncovered") was probably a harlot or "hetairai". The contrast and comparison with a "shaven head" was quite literal, as a woman who'd shaven her head was either a slave or a convicted adulteress.

Our time does not distinguish between honorable women and whores so easily. So there is no need for our sisters to follow this specific counsel.

Paul was here, I believe, applying the contemporary view of a woman's hair to eternal principles, but they do not apply for our day. This is one example of why living prophets are so necessary. Were we all to comply with every stricture and requirement of the Bible, we'd all be much like the Amish, who, for all their nobility of spirit, fail to enjoy some of God's greatest blessings whose only lack is simply not appearing in the Bible's pages.

Lehi

I always thought Paul was addressing the Greek custom there in Corinth where married women covered their hair to distinguish themselves from the prostitutes who wore their hair long and uncovered.

That custom is long gone and nowadays, everyone wants to dress like a prostitute anyway, so it doesn't really matter anymore... (J/K) :P

Edit: Just saw that Lehi posted a similar yet much more refined response.

That was practiced especially in the temple and it still is.

We also allow our women to speak in the churches. There were cultural reasons for that New Testament era prohibition as well, which are no longer valid.

It is practiced today.

I seem to be getting conflicting replies. I do not believe it is merely based upon a cultural custom, based on some research of the Greek done by a dear and trusted friend of mine. Interesting to hear perspectives though :P

The seeming conflict is from the fact that women in the LDS temple do cover their heads at certain times. We just don't do it outside of the temple.

:P

Correct, I should have been more clear. I also happen to think the refernce by Paul is specifically how we as LDS practice it.

The seeming conflict is from the fact that women in the LDS temple do cover their heads at certain times. We just don't do it outside of the temple.

;)

Unless we want to....which I often do in winter time. :P

That was practiced especially in the temple and it still is.

Interesting. If the LDS Temple is fulfillment of this mandate, wouldn't the men covering their heads in the Temple be in violation of the same mandate?

Interesting. If the LDS Temple is fulfillment of this mandate, wouldn't the men covering their heads in the Temple be in violation of the same mandate?

Is there something that specifies that men's heads should be uncovered?

Note the High Priest's head was covered:kohen-garments.jpg

Is there something that specifies that men's heads should be uncovered?

From the same chapter under discussion:

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head....

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

From the same chapter under discussion:

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head....

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Spaced on that, thanks for the reminder.

Paul was an astounding preacher and a dedicated Christian, but as Joseph Smith tried to tell people (repeatedly), a prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. Paul was giving counsel, and in this case the counsel came from his own obstinate viewpoints that weren't consistent with God's counsel. Mormons don't join other denominations in teaching that every word that came forth from the pen of the apostles was inspired writ. And many other Christians seem to take this standpoint, even the ones who take the position that the Bible is the complete, inerrant word of God. That said, I know of one Pentecostal church that does follow this. Women cover themselves in church and stay quiet, waiting until they're home and can ask they're husbands if they have any questions. They also don't wear any make-up.

My own personal view is that this is obviously a higher law, and one people can't yet abide...okay, just kidding.

Paul had some extreme views and we must remember that Peter, according to what we know of church government, was the one who spoke for the church. One religious blogger states:

Because God does not command a specific style, color, or size of head covering, it is important that the church does not add to God

Many people who belong to a particular church wear a specific type of headcovering as a type of solidarity, a way of curbing pridefulness that can come from many things such as color, style, size, whatever. I do not wear makeup, I wear only modest dresses/skirts, and when I am able to attend church I do wear a veil. I am just following the word of God.

Paul was an astounding preacher and a dedicated Christian, but as Joseph Smith tried to tell people (repeatedly), a prophet doesn't always speak as a prophet. Paul was giving counsel, and in this case the counsel came from his own obstinate viewpoints that weren't consistent with God's counsel. Mormons don't join other denominations in teaching that every word that came forth from the pen of the apostles was inspired writ. And many other Christians seem to take this standpoint, even the ones who take the position that the Bible is the complete, inerrant word of God. That said, I know of one Pentecostal church that does follow this. Women cover themselves in church and stay quiet, waiting until they're home and can ask they're husbands if they have any questions. They also don't wear any make-up.

My own personal view is that this is obviously a higher law, and one people can't yet abide...okay, just kidding.

Paul had some extreme views and we must remember that Peter, according to what we know of church government, was the one who spoke for the church. One religious blogger states:

This is a bit outrageous to me, but these guys are in a box. Either they have to buck-up and obey Paul's inspired word or they have to devise a means of getting out of it without admitting that no, not every word that dripped from Paul's pen is inspired writ. Instead, they accuse Paul of adding to God's word! We know how that feels, by gum! Because Paul doesn't stipulate why kind of covering it should be, what color, size and so forth, then it's an out. Applying the same logic to baptism, conferring the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands (which hand comes first? Does one put both hands or one upon the other? Oh well, forget the whole thing!) The Bible is filled with incomplete directions. That's why it shouldn't be regarded as a handbook.

It's not that it's a "fufillment of a mandate"-

The question was, as I understand it, how the practices differ or are similar. Some are similar, some differ.

The "no speaking in church" thing has been clarified in the Inspired Version...

KJV reads:

1 Cor 14:34

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

IV (JST) read:

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches; for it is not permitted unto them to rule; but to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

The verse really is a matter of leadership and authority. Not an absolute prohibition on women speaking.

It's not that it's a "fufillment of a mandate"-

The question was, as I understand it, how the practices differ or are similar. Some are similar, some differ.

If one tries to proffer it up as evidence of LDS Temple ceremonies being alluded to in the NT, they must see the thing all the way through. You can't just take the part that is convenient to try to make the claim and ignore the following verses that do not support your claim.

Although a New Testament teaching, I have never known any Christian Church I have ever attended to teach or practice this

Prior to Vatican II it was the norm. Many still do, and there are a lot of women who attend "non-covering" churches who cover anyway. It is one of the things that has gone by the wayside along with modest dress.

If one tries to proffer it up as evidence of LDS Temple ceremonies being alluded to in the NT, they must see the thing all the way through. You can't just take the part that is convenient to try to make the claim and ignore the following verses that do not support your claim.

No one did that, that I recall.

And there are many many temple references in the bible.

No one did that, that I recall.

And there are many many temple references in the bible.

Several people did....

"That was practiced especially in the temple and it still is. "

"The seeming conflict is from the fact that women in the LDS temple do cover their heads at certain times. We just don't do it outside of the temple."

"Correct, I should have been more clear. I also happen to think the refernce by Paul is specifically how we as LDS practice it. "

Prior to Vatican II it was the norm. Many still do, and there are a lot of women who attend "non-covering" churches who cover anyway. It is one of the things that has gone by the wayside along with modest dress.

Having been a pre-Vatican 2 Catholic, raised in parochial school, I know exactly what you are talking about. I kind of liked the tradition, but I do remember some instances of the Sisters in my parochial school running around trying to find a paper napkin for some 4th grader to bobby-pin to her hair because she had forgotten her little lace "chapel veil"- as I recall doilies were often the "veil" of the day!

I have been a Mormon now for 30 years but I still enjoy hearing a Latin mass occasionally- it brings back such great memories! It invokes such an aura of mystery and "magic" (that's usually a bad word around here, but I mean it in it's most positive way), that I think it really lost something when they went to English and turned the altar around. There was something about kneeling in a darkened church, with light streaming from the sanctuary and the priest with his back turned, saying those words in an ancient language that was definitely "magic", then approaching the altar and taking the host which you could not chew-

Dang! There was no way you wouldn't do what your mom told you after that!!! And man, you just knew that the guy who could do all that magic stuff definitely had the power to forgive your sins!

And I insist that the nuns really did "float". You could never see their feet or legs move, but man, they could get to your desk with a ruler to smack you over the head quicker than anything mortal could!

But then I grew up.

Oh well. :P

Archived