Seriously No Politics ×

Stake Conference

Doctrine 612

How do most members respond to SC, we are asked by the stake prez to go, since there has been a big drop in attendance.

Whats happing your neck of the woods.

Stake Conference is just as important to me as General Conference, it is a special delight when a General Authority presides. Stake Conference gives many around the world opportunities to be able to be in conference since most cannot attend General Conference. It is a wonderful blessing IMO to have stake conference.

How do most members respond to SC, we are asked by the stake prez to go, since there has been a big drop in attendance.

How far of a trip? If it's a long one, how about combining it with something else to make it fun or more worthwhile for you or your family if you are feeling iffy about.

I think it is important. Travel can be an issue for some of the larger stakes. To visit my branch at one time, meant driving a half hour. The district was an hour away. Technology may give us a hand in this. I understand the church is looking toward projections sent via the internet towards local meeting houses to cut down on travel time.

When I was active, and growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I attended Stake Conference. The only memorable one I ever went to was at the Oakland,CA Stake Center at the Oakland Temple. I heard LeGrand Richards speak there. I loved Elder Richards.

Here is my feeling about SC. I used to not like to go, but I have come to the conclusion more recently that in these times of turmoil and economic distress, it is the stake leaders who will give us what we need for our area.

The First Presidency and other GA's preside over a worldwide church. Not every area has the same kind of problems or needs the same messages. Therefore I believe Stake Presidents and local leaders will have the guidance and revelation for their specific stakes. That is why a message one might hear in one SC may not apply to everyone.

In fact I believe I heard a report, maybe on here, that the GA's are looking for the strongest, most spiritual men they can find for Stake Presidents to meet the needs for such times.

Therefore, I make a point now of not missing SC.

Well, from my perspective, I really enjoy the 2 hour Saturday night session, adults sitting together and most of them there because they really want to hear what the Steak President has to say and also interact with those in other wards in the stake. I enjoy it.

There are always extra meeting for some for anything. It is the normal nature of things, not simply in this church but everywhere.

Looking at attendance numbers, stake conference in my stake is not as well attended as regular sacrament meetings. I think we calculated that we lose an an entire ward of people (about 150-200) during conference. We used to hold two Sunday sessions, in different locations, to accommodate all members. Nowadays, we hold one session, but Salt Lake sends us an internet broadcast setup - computer, software, cameras - that we use to broadcast around the stake. Oddly, since we've been using the setup, our attendance numbers have gone down even more.

However, I do like stake conference.

H.

In most stakes I know, they are actually 6 hours: a 2-hour leadership session and a 2-hour adult session on Saturday, then a 2-hour general session on Sunday. In our French stake, there was also a 2-hour general session on Sunday afternoon, making the whole thing 8 hours.

dont forget temple night on fridays before sc

Some Stake Conferences are better than others.

Although I have to say that after attending the Stake Conference where the historic Los Angeles Stake Center was re-dedicated by President Hinckley, the rest have been a little underwhelming...

But the most memorable conference was the one where our somewhat new SP asked the somewhat new Stake Primary President if the primary children in the stake might sing "The Articles of Faith song". He didn't know it was actually 13 interminably tuneless songs (one for each article), and the Stake Primary President didn't have guts to "clarify" how long and awful such a musical number would be. My wife had told me in advance, and I was almost giddy with anticipation as the time arrived and the kids sang the first song, and then the second, and then the third.... it seemed to never end.

We were actually good friends with the SP, and he later told us of the sinking feeling he got when he realized (around the third song) what we were in for. And he had to cut his remarks short because of how long it took.

:P

Another time, a recent convert was asked to give the closing prayer. She was an older woman, and stood to say the prayer, but first said (in a slow, low voice): "Let us pray..."

My wife and I say that before our family prayers now.

Here is my feeling about SC. I used to not like to go, but I have come to the conclusion more recently that in these times of turmoil and economic distress, it is the stake leaders who will give us what we need for our area.

The First Presidency and other GA's preside over a worldwide church. Not every area has the same kind of problems or needs the same messages. Therefore I believe Stake Presidents and local leaders will have the guidance and revelation for their specific stakes. That is why a message one might hear in one SC may not apply to everyone.

In fact I believe I heard a report, maybe on here, that the GA's are looking for the strongest, most spiritual men they can find for Stake Presidents to meet the needs for such times.

Very insightful, wise, and convincing reasons--at least to me--as to the importance and usefulness of attending SC, Deborah. Until the moment I read your post, the only value I saw in SC was in listening to one of my favorite GA's entertaining and inspirational talks.

Thank you.

If I can get a ride, yeah. Otherwise it's 2 hours by bus, plus a 15 miniute walk. Fine in summer, but bad in winter.

We had stake conference earlier in the year. It was our largest attendance ever, with the total on Sunday equalling 88.11% of our normal combined sacrament meeting attendance.

How far of a trip? If it's a long one, how about combining it with something else to make it fun or more worthwhile for you or your family if you are feeling iffy about.

A member of our stake just got back from performing a Church humanitarian assignment in a newly created district in PNG. The headquarters of the district is a village where all 450 residents have become members. He said that, for the furthest-away branch to travel there for district conference, it takes three weeks each direction. In canoes.

I understand the church is looking toward projections sent via the internet towards local meeting houses to cut down on travel time.

This year, our general session of stake conference was a brodcast from Church headquarters, and we managed it get it sent via internet to our most remote branch, which is about three hours away. Very cool!

dont forget temple night on fridays before sc

We don't have a temple night on the Friday before stake conference, but we do have a stake dance.

A member of our stake just got back from performing a Church humanitarian assignment in a newly created district in PNG. The headquarters of the district is a village where all 450 residents have become members. He said that, for the furthest-away branch to travel there for district conference, it takes three weeks each direction. In canoes.

Reminds me of the Russian mission president who was commenting on the amount of traveling he had to do to cover his mission and how he was never quite sure what time it was since the area of the mission involved, IIRC, ten different time zones.

I am just grateful that for me getting ready for church does not include getting the horse and buggy ready.

What Deborah said. Right on, right on.

In my younger years in New Mexico, we were in the Albuquerque stake, but 110 miles away.

In those days, the RS would provide a box lunch between sessions. Loved the lunches!

Bernard

Archived