Seriously No Politics ×

Why Does God HIde?

Monster

I keep asking myself why does God hide. It seems he is nowhere to be found in crisis or any other time really. I know there are individuals that feel God is around all the time. They feel his presence and can speak with him. But many others see or hear nothing. It is like there is a big void they are trying to fill with a being who is not around.

God does not speak to people in general and give them council. Many will say there are prophets, but that is not the same as God speaking. Many prophets have come along professing to speak for God, but why can not God speak for himself? Is he to busy? Are we not important enough? It would avoid so much confusion and hostility if God simply spoke and said I am and gave some general guidelines. As it is we have religions running around all claiming this or that is what God wants. In Mormonism we debate endlessly that this or that is or isn't doctrine. Look at something like plural marriage. It was and then it was not. NOw you can read multiple threads on multiple boards debating its legitimacy. The point being why does god stay silent on issues? Why does he not clear things up and let us wander to and fro.

Now if you take the position that this life is but an experience in our eternal progression and what we do is not as important as what we learn then it makes some sense for a somewhat aloof God to allow us to learn as we go. But if you take the position that there is a set or rules we need to obey and ordinances we must participate in in order to advance after this life then it seems Gods silence is not justified. How could he hold us accountable when he never told us what to do. All we have is some scriptures that are cryptic and contradictory at best and just plain made up at worst. We have prophets that contradict themselves over time and yet we are suppose to rely on them for our eternal salvation. I just ask why God allows this if what they say is so important.

I truly want to believe God is there. I have asked for years to know that he is. When I was a very faithful Mormon i had experiences that at the time I thought was God speaking but they turned out to not be true. So I was either mislead by God or I was mistaken. I choose to believe I was mistaken.

But like I said the only rational way I can believe in God is to think all religions although doing good things at times are mostly man made. They may contain some truth, but because of their constant bickering none are the one true religion, The search for God can only be an individual journey although facilitated by religion but not dependent on them. If it is otherwise I wish God would just state the contrary himself.

Now I know others truly believe God is speaking and it is my fault that I do not hear because I am sinning, or hardhearted, or ignorant or something. All of which make no sense because if I was all those things I would need God to speak to me even more than the next person who did not have issues. I would need his guidance more than ever not less. But all many people get is static even when significant effort is put out to hear God.

I keep asking myself why does God hide. It seems he is nowhere to be found in crisis or any other time really. I know there are individuals that feel God is around all the time. They feel his presence and can speak with him. But many others see or hear nothing. It is like there is a big void they are trying to fill with a being who is not around.

God does not speak to people in general and give them council. Many will say there are prophets, but that is not the same as God speaking. Many prophets have come along professing to speak for God, but why can not God speak for himself? Is he to busy? Are we not important enough? It would avoid so much confusion and hostility if God simply spoke and said I am and gave some general guidelines. As it is we have religions running around all claiming this or that is what God wants. In Mormonism we debate endlessly that this or that is or isn't doctrine. Look at something like plural marriage. It was and then it was not. NOw you can read multiple threads on multiple boards debating its legitimacy. The point being why does god stay silent on issues? Why does he not clear things up and let us wander to and fro.

Now if you take the position that this life is but an experience in our eternal progression and what we do is not as important as what we learn then it makes some sense for a somewhat aloof God to allow us to learn as we go. But if you take the position that there is a set or rules we need to obey and ordinances we must participate in in order to advance after this life then it seems Gods silence is not justified. How could he hold us accountable when he never told us what to do. All we have is some scriptures that are cryptic and contradictory at best and just plain made up at worst. We have prophets that contradict themselves over time and yet we are suppose to rely on them for our eternal salvation. I just ask why God allows this if what they say is so important.

I truly want to believe God is there. I have asked for years to know that he is. When I was a very faithful Mormon i had experiences that at the time I thought was God speaking but they turned out to not be true. So I was either mislead by God or I was mistaken. I choose to believe I was mistaken.

But like I said the only rational way I can believe in God is to think all religions although doing good things at times are mostly man made. They may contain some truth, but because of their constant bickering none are the one true religion, The search for God can only be an individual journey although facilitated by religion but not dependent on them. If it is otherwise I wish God would just state the contrary himself.

Now I know others truly believe God is speaking and it is my fault that I do not hear because I am sinning, or hardhearted, or ignorant or something. All of which make no sense because if I was all those things I would need God to speak to me even more than the next person who did not have issues. I would need his guidance more than ever not less. But all many people get is static even when significant effort is put out to hear God.

I think most of us struggle with the agony of doubt. I know I do -- it has gnawed at me since I was a child. In my journal at 13, I wrote, "I just don't have the burning feeling that He is there."

I envy those whose faith is as sturdy and strong as their belief that the sun will rise in the morning. Sometimes I find evidences for God and His activity in the world; other times, I feel very much alone. Here is the crux of it: I WANT to believe. My head and my heart get all tangled up.

Hey Monster,

I think you are actually much closer to God in your thinking than you may realize. Did you read my last post on the "Core conversations" thread? I was just doing a quick check on this thread but I'm coming back to address this a little later and see where this thread goes. ( I have to leave right now).

I've noticed that Joseph Smith, Job, Jeremiah, and Jesus all asked God why he hides. They all provided answers that came to them eventually, all of which I find helpful. Sometimes too, I just imagine a world in which God was directly on hand at all times, preventing all ambiguity, resolving every question before it was asked, preventing every mistake or misdeed or injustice before it occurred, using skeptical human authority to demonstrate the infallible presence of divine authority at every moment so that I would never need to live a moment of uncertainty, or, for that matter, know true freedom. SF writer Jack Williamson wrote his Humanoid stories describing such an immediately enforced utopia. With Folded Hands, and The Humanoids.

Among the answers to questions like "How could he hold us accountable when he never told us what to do?" I quite like those provided through Joseph Smith: "He is a wise Lawgiver, and will judge all men, not according to the narrow, contracted notions of men, but, "according to the deeds done in the body whether they be good or evil," or whether these deeds were done in England, America, Spain, Turkey, or India. He will judge them, "not according to what they have not, but according to what they have," those who have lived without law, will be judged without law, and those who have a law, will by judged by that law. We need not doubt the wisdom and intelligence of the Great Jehovah; He will award judgment or mercy to all nations according to their several deserts, their means of obtaining intelligence, the laws by which they are governed, the facilities afforded them of obtaining correct information, and His inscrutable designs in relation to the human family; and when the designs of God shall be made manifest, and the curtain of futurity be withdrawn, we shall all of us eventually have to confess that the Judge of all the earth has done right." History of the Church, Vol.4, Ch.35, p.595.

Alma 29 says essentially the same thing.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

I think most people struggle with the topic similar to yours, as to how can God restrain himself when witnessing all the evils in this world. But, there are miracles too which take place in this world. And if miracles have ceased to be on the earth, then so has faith, hope, and charity. But we are not there. I think if you try to see them, or take note of them, and each night record 2-3 things you are thankful for THAT DAY in a journal or diary, it won't be many weeks until you begin to see "God" manifesting himself in the world.

He removed us from His presence and veiled our memories because we must be tested in order to progress. When the testing is over the veil will be lifted, and all of the pain of this life will have lasted but an instant. It won't have been insignificant, for what we did while we were veiled and in pain will have shown our true character, but the all the hurts we suffered will be healed in time.

It's not true that God doesn't tell us what we must do. Everyone knows, deep down, what they must do. If they let the world drown this still small voice out then it is by their choices.

There have been times when I have been angry with God and I have wondered if he cared. Almost always the smallest thing would happen to let me know he's still there, and I would pick myself up and figure a way to move forward, realizing he expected me to take action too.

Now one thing I have never done is ask specifically if God were there but always assumed he was, whether I felt he paid attention or not. I think sometimes people try too hard to get a response without letting it happen. But letting it happens requires faith that it will. Now of course we have stories of those who prayed for hours until they were answered, but how many of us have really done that?

I did one time when I was desperate. I took a day off work and fasted and read scriptures and prayed throughout the day. I needed an answer. I didn't get it that day but I knew that what happened would be right. I did get it a few days later when the deadline for a very important choice was due. The answer was so clear and so perfect that I had no doubt that my fasting and prayers reached where they were supposed to go. Knowing later some other things about what happened and looking back I have realized that the choice at that time has affected me more profoundly than I could ever have known and affected others in my family as well.

Monster,

I appreciate your sentiments as I share many of them.

In my experience there are only two possibilities:

1. God is imaginary.

This is certainly what the evidence suggests, and once you accept that God does not exist, all your problems instantly disappear. Prayers are not answered, miracles do not happen, blessings do not work because God is an imaginary being we humans created to deal with death and explain what we don't understand. However, if becoming an atheist leaves you feeling a little hollow and disappointed (like it does for me), you might want to take a look at possibility #2.

2. God chooses to hide, because that is what is ultimately best for us humans.

I am of the belief that God chooses to let us go through life mostly alone. I gave up a long time ago on trying to reason why. Perhaps it is because we must learn to live by faith. Maybe it's because obvious manifestations of God's existence would be even worse than him hiding. Or maybe this mortal experience is part of the plan, and we're supposed to look mostly to our fellow humans for support and spiritual fulfillment. Whatever the reason God chooses to hide and speaks only in faint whispers, often choosing to remain silent when we need him most.

Whatever the reason for the often deafening silence from the heavens, there is no chance (in my opinion) that God is refusing to speak because you are doing something wrong. This is an ugly and unfortunate belief that I wish did not exist. In fact, I don't think there is a religious idea I hate more than blaming the person for their failure to receive a spiritual witness.

If you're like me, it is likely you will never know if God really exists.

But you may indeed have a precious few spiritual experiences that you may count as divine communications. They certainly may be illusions generated by your own mind, but I consciously choose to believe they come from elsewhere.

Monster,

1. God is imaginary.

This is certainly what the evidence suggests, and once you accept that God does not exist, all your problems instantly disappear. Prayers are not answered, miracles do not happen, blessings do not work because God is an imaginary being we humans created to deal with death and explain what we don't understand. However, if becoming an atheist leaves you feeling a little hollow and disappointed (like it does for me), you might want to take a look at possibility #2.

I am of the belief that God chooses to let us go through life mostly alone. I gave up a long time ago on trying to reason why. Perhaps it is because we must learn to live by faith. Maybe it's because obvious manifestations of God's existence would be even worse than him hiding. Or maybe this mortal experience is part of the plan, and we're supposed to look mostly to our fellow humans for support and spiritual fulfillment. Whatever the reason God chooses to hide and speaks only in faint whispers, often choosing to remain silent when we need him most.

Whatever the reason for the often deafening silence from the heavens, there is no chance (in my opinion) that God is refusing to speak because you are doing something wrong. This is an ugly and unfortunate belief that I wish did not exist. In fact, I don't think there is a religious idea I hate more than blaming the person for their failure to receive a spiritual witness.

But you may indeed have a precious few spiritual experiences that you may count as divine communications. They certainly may be illusions generated by your own mind, but I consciously choose to believe they come from elsewhere.

Option # 3. God is *You*

It is not a deity caused system. It is a collective. A shared awareness. There is NO separate entity, energy or force that has any influence over you whatsoever.

My observation is that people don't like this philosophy because they feel like they are going to be *absorbed* back into some sea of blankness. That their separate indentity will be lost, and this is just as hopeless a scenario as adapting an atheist platform.

I disagree. In my opinion, some form of *One-ness philosophy* really has the fewest holes in it when comparing *eternal soul* theories.

I like to think of it as instead of you being absorbed into the all, the all is absorbed into you.

Option # 3. God is *You*

It is not a deity caused system. It is a collective. A shared awareness. There is NO separate entity, energy or force that has any influence over you whatsoever.

That's pretty much the same as Silverknight's Option Number 1.

That's pretty much the same as Silverknight's Option Number 1.

Jason, The whole concept of intelligences in the beginning with God, God was a man that came thru the system, indicates, to me anyway, Oneness theory.

Can you point to an entity, energy or force that is overlord of the entire system?

Jason, The whole concept of intelligences in the beginning with God, God was a man that came thru the system, indicates, to me anyway, Oneness theory.

Can you point to an entity, energy or force that is overlord of the entire system?

I was going to say that your Option #3 compares favorably to the LDS concepts of human deification, eternal progression, intelligences and infinite 'gods'.

I am assuming you are talking about Oneness as a metaphysical concept, aka Monism.

Monster,

1. God is imaginary.

Silverknight,

I find myself in close agreement with what you have said. The only thing I might add would be the reference in Matthew 7:7-9

This is hard for me to put into words, but I'll try.

I feel like the more we know, the more accountable we are for our actions. We might know the commandments, but it's a process before we actually have a desire to follow them and do so. If God lived with us here and we could see Him and hear Him every day, would we make our choices because we wanted to or because we had to? Which would Heavenly Father prefer? I think He takes greater joy in His children wanting to do what is right.

As a mom, it is the best feeling when one of my children does something good without being told. I can make them clean, but I can't make them have a good attitude about it. They know the rules and will usually follow through with what they're supposed to do, which is better than flat out refusing, but it really makes my day when one of them does something like sees that the garbage can is full and decides to take it out and replace it with a new bag. Without complaining. After I had been up twice until 3:30am with kids throwing-up, my oldest son let me sleep the next morning when my 7-year-old got sick and he took care of him. Then his sister got up and he changed her diaper. I don't know if I have ever felt so loved by him. He knew I was exhausted. To wake up and discover he had done something because he wanted to and not because he had to was so awesome. I never would have even asked him to take on that responsibility and would have been fine if he woke me up and said his brother was throwing-up.

When my kids are frustrated as they learn something new, I have to resist the urge to give them the answers because they're not really learning anything that way. I give them some hints, but I have to let them struggle their way through it a bit as much as I hate to see them frustrated. I will offer them comfort and suggest maybe they take a break, and eventually they get it down. They are becoming stronger like a chick that has to break its way out of its shell. Hard to watch them work so hard, but they actually won't survive if you intervene and break the shell for them.

I think as we struggle through life with the Spirit as our guide, even working to recognize the Spirit, it helps us mature spiritually and grow in ways we don't even realize. Heavenly Father wants us to think things through and learn, but He will be there in many ways to help us through it. I think it's important not to blow off the little things as coincidence and offer many prayers of gratitude for them. I think gratitude is powerful and helps us to be more in tune with the Spirit.

It is hard to have faith, but I truly feel if you document the blessings in your life, you will recognize the Lord's hand more. He knows what is best for us and I trust there are very good reasons why He set life up this way.

In my recent studies I found that the original Greek carries a meaning that cannot be conveyed in english. A closer translation would be:

Keep on asking, keep on seeking, continue knocking............

I spend most of my breakfast time with the scriptures beside me every day. It makes a great difference.

Good advice to be be sure.

But I've found people often finally become truly happy and fulfilled when they stop asking, seeking and knocking.

For many it's a huge relief when they stop worrying about God, or even thinking about God, and get on with their lives.

I genuinely sometimes envy my friends who were brought up irreligious.

They manage to happily live their lives without wasting one minute worrying about some mysterious invisible man in the sky.

As I read this a particular verse came to mind:

"But behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that mine eyes are upon you; I am in your midst and ye cannot see me, but the day soon cometh that ye shall see me and know that I am; for the veil of darkness shall soon be rent, and he that is not purified shall not abide the day; wherefore, gird up your loins and be prepared..." Doctrine and Covenants 38

What I learned from this is that the Lord is always with us, but we cannot see him due to our lack of purity.

I had an interesting encounter with the Lord where it was explained to me this way. When the Lord comes to us as a "man see's a man" he is coming either as Righteous Judge or as friend. The problem is that most of us have not developed a close personal friendship with him. So if he appeared, we could only approach him as judge. It was explained that this is why more do not have personal encounters with the Lord...it would hurt them and they would seek to run from him.

But this doesn't stop him from interacting with us "in and through all things." In our dreams or visions, through the words of another, even a touch on our hearts or whisper in our ears. He is always there, seeking to develop a personal friendship with us because He WANTS to appear to his friends. He wants us to know His desires, His will, and how we can assist.

This section goes on say:

"Behold, this I hve given unto you a parable, and it is even as I am: I say unto you, Be one; and if ye are not one, ye are not mine..."

In one part here he says only the pure can abide the day of his appearance. In another part we are told that we must be one. The Brother of Jared account gives proof that we too can experience the same thing, this section further explains the depth of faith necessary to abide that day and have that veil removed.

God "hides" (or more appropriately doesn't show himself too often, and only for a specific purpose) because if he didn't our "agency" would be in question. If he was in full front of us, we would be less inclined to choose of ourselves good over evil. We would more often than not and be even more careful to choose good.

Basically he would be usurping his own plan. We would essentially be "forced" to be obedient and follow Him, rather than of our own Will and desires to be good.

Who is to say that it is God hiding from people, and not the people not looking for God?

It seems funny that when things go wrong people always seek to blame someone else instead of look at what they are doing. If you are having trouble finding God, look at what you are doing, study the scriptures, and seek to align your life with the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Then you might find all along that you had horses and chariots of fire surrounding you, just as Elisha had and those around him couldn't see till Elisha prayed to God from him to reveal them (See 2 Kings 6:17)

It is easy to miss the workings of the lord if we are not looking for them!

Without more knowledge of the system one can never know the answer to that, but if God is us why have the veil?

Why have mortal life?

If we are we here if we are already perfected beings?

Why leave our pertect immortal bodies to come to Earth and live in mortal bodies, to try and return to our perfect immortal bodies?

Well in one sense yes, we are all Gods, in that we are all potential dieties, but you also said that we are not influenced by any higher power, which gives us the same practical effects as Option #1.

Who is to say that it is God hiding from people, and not the people not looking for God?

It seems funny that when things go wrong people always seek to blame someone else instead of look at what they are doing. If you are having trouble finding God, look at what you are doing, study the scriptures, and seek to align your life with the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Then you might find all along that you had horses and chariots of fire surrounding you, just as Elisha had and those around him couldn't see till Elisha prayed to God from him to reveal them (See 2 Kings 6:17)

It is easy to miss the workings of the lord if we are not looking for them!

You assume I have not tried, that I have not attempted to be perfect in all things. I will tell you that there are many people who try their whole life and never come to a feeling of oneness with god. I feel it is a simplistic answer to just say repent and be a good Mormon and you will get all the answers. It just does not work that way for many people even thought the church teaches it does.

God hides, because we're his enemies. He's not our enemy, but we're his to some degree or another. So until we've had a huge change of heart, God will continue to hide. Going through the motions of being a member of the Church will not stop you from being God's enemy. Only extreme humility and a willingness to obey will result in a real testimony.

If you cared about someone that you knew would never accept you for who you are but perhaps would admire you from afar, you would stay away, too.

Monster,

1. God is imaginary.

I will take #2. it is the only plausible explanation if you want to believe in God. Also I agree it is a very bad doctrine that teaches you must somehow align your self with some specific set of rules in order to hear God. That just plain does not make sense.

God is NOT hiding at all. He just absolutely honors agency AND He knows that getting through adversity has great capacity to stretch and grow us. Because I absolutely know that He knows us individually, and He and Heavenly Mother and our Savior are our biggest cheerleaders, I know I can learn to submit my will, appetites and desires to His will, and to learn to control my body (eyes, ears, tongue, arms and legs, etc) in His service. Lots of times it is hard to quit thinking of wha tis happening TO us, and start thinking what can I learn that will help me live according to His will today.

Archived