US Church Growth...

BookofMormonLuvr

...#3 LDS Church +1.42%...

One and a half percent isn't so good. I'm going to chalk it up, in part, to the popular "churches" like the church of global warming and the church of the blessed homodogma of latter-day gay marriage. It's also due to young people not being taught to think for themselves, having teachers that promote walking in lock-step with mainstream society. Young people today are statistically "the dumbest generation."

"churches" like the church of global warming

the church of the blessed homodogma of latter-day gay marriage.

It's also due to young people not being taught to think for themselves, having teachers that promote walking in lock-step with mainstream society.

Young people today are statistically "the dumbest generation."

true to form, thanks mordecai, thanks for being consistent.

as for "young people not being taught to think for themselves, having teachers that promote walking in lock-step with mainstream society." shall we start a thread and discuss a talk from Elder Packer, or even discuss the meriad of persons excommunicated for asking questions/discussing aspects of Church history. and then there is the childrens song "Follow the Prophet"; and this from a Ensign article "One who holds priesthood keys does not ask, assign, or recruit people to serve. He calls them, ... " (something about glass houses and stones comes to mind.)

"Church of global warming", it seems obvious that you do not realize that there "christian" churches which teach respect for the earth and other tree hugging type things.

as for "dumbest generation". try reading some stuff for the 1950's era. Here is a little diddy from a book my mother has "Females can not handle strenious physical activity. Females will need frequent breaks. Female preform best at dancing". When I go visit my mother, I will scan that page. Or how about the cigeratte ads wherein Dr.s were recommending people to smoke. and my favorite from generations past; is seeing films of children being shuffled into the streets to run through the thick cloud of DDT that was sprayed, or kids in a swimming pool being sprayed with DDT; truely you have dizzying ability insult in just about everything you post.

Note that numbers 1 and 2 both have about one-sixth of the LDS Church's membership in the US, and therefore only grew by about half as many actual members as the LDS Church. It's easier to post a big precentage when it's not quite as many bodies.

Also, what is the Church's growth in South America and Eastern Europe when compared to these others?

I wonder if this information will trickle down to the membership at large?

While church officials are careful not to make the claim of being the fastest growing, a lot of members seem to still think it is. Twice during the last few months I have overheard people claim that it is, such as the guy in the seat behind me on a flight, who asked his neighbor, "Would you like to hear about the fastest growing church in the world?"

One and a half percent isn't so good. I'm going to chalk it up, in part, to the popular "churches" like the church of global warming and the church of the blessed homodogma of latter-day gay marriage. It's also due to young people not being taught to think for themselves, having teachers that promote walking in lock-step with mainstream society. Young people today are statistically "the dumbest generation."

Ah but at one time or another we were or are part of this dumbest generation!

Note that nubmers 1 and 2 both have about one-sixth of the LDS Church's membership in the US, and therefore only grew by about half as many actual members as the LDS Church. It's easier to post a big precentage when it's not quite as many bodies.

Also, what is the Church's growth in South America and Eastern Europe when compared to these others?

I think this is important to note also, if they beat us by a few perentage points but have half the membership then who is really the fastest growing Church.

To show this in numbers,

Lets's say JW is at 4 percent and LDS at 2 percent,

Lets say JW has 1 million members, that means they added 40,000 members, lets say LDS has 2 million members, that means they added 40,000 members also.

This is the problem with statistics, in reality both churches grew at the same rate, both added 40,000 new converts. When using percentages you have to also consider the size of each organization. JW has about 7 million members and LDS is over 14 million, so our 1.4 percent is not too far behind there 4 percent.

I wonder if this information will trickle down to the membership at large?

While church officials are careful not to make the claim of being the fastest growing, a lot of members seem to still think it is. Twice during the last few months I have overheard people claim that it is, such as the guy in the seat behind me on a flight, who asked his neighbor, "Would you like to hear about the fastest growing church in the world?"

This article/report only concerns US growth. We may very well be the fastest growing church in the world, while not being the fastest growing in the US.

Mordecai, I would suggest the last part is incorrect.

Just sayin', as a 17 year old... I think many people would disagree with your opinion there.

It is also too much of a blanket statement to be effective anyways, even if it is true.

As for the percentage... I am less concerned with 'statistical growth' compared to 'true growth'. I'd rather have members that stay in =).

Mordecai, I would suggest the last part is incorrect.

Just sayin', as a 17 year old... I think many people would disagree with your opinion there.

Yes, Americans have a tendency to think they're good at stuff, when compared to the rest of the world, we're falling behind. Our schools are terrible as a whole and even our best students can't compete with other developed nations' best. To top that off, narcissism is on the rise among our young people. They're not only poorly educated, they're self-centered and arrogant.

It is also too much of a blanket statement to be effective anyways, even if it is true.

In the context of talking about Church growth, you can easily make a case that our bad teachers that are protected by the uninos are preventing the Church from growing. My cousin was talking about how her kids have been indoctrinated by their teachers. One of her daughters has adopted existentialisms and moral relativism, because one of her teachers indoctrinated her.

As for the percentage... I am less concerned with 'statistical growth' compared to 'true growth'. I'd rather have members that stay in =).

I would much prefer members that stay active. That is immeasurably more important than getting mere baptisms.

Yes, Americans have a tendency to think they're good at stuff, when compared to the rest of the world, we're falling behind. Our schools are terrible as a whole and even our best students can't compete with other developed nations' best. To top that off, narcissism is on the rise among our young people. They're not only poorly educated, they're self-centered and arrogant.

Yes, but it is important not to refer to the entire younger generation as such. You'd be surprised... some can't really be characterized that way. I am sometimes self centered, but I do try and avoid it. Others are rarely self centered at all though.

In the context of talking about Church growth, you can easily make a case that our bad teachers that are protected by the uninos are preventing the Church from growing. My cousin was talking about how her kids have been indoctrinated by their teachers. One of her daughters has adopted existentialisms and moral relativism, because one of her teachers indoctrinated her.

Existentialism isn't so bad actually - I use it to a degree - not that I believe moral relativism, but that I believe I alone am responsible for my own thoughts about reasoning behind the world, and so is everyone else. We are responsible for our own actions. I don't believe morals are relative, but at the same time, I don't think I can decide what's best for another person either. Guess I'm going a bit off topic here, so anyways, back to the post.

I also highly doubt that it is indoctrination of teachers solely that causes a drop in church growth... it would probably be a combination of causes. I would be interested though in figuring out what these causes are. Perhaps that is one of them.

I would much prefer members that stay active. That is immeasurably more important than getting mere baptisms.

Agreed =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

Note that numbers 1 and 2 both have about one-sixth of the LDS Church's membership in the US, and therefore only grew by about half as many actual members as the LDS Church. It's easier to post a big precentage when it's not quite as many bodies.

I don't know if this answers your question or not but may shed some light possibly!

https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V41N04_13.pdf

It is an article written by Armand Mauss about the Church in Europe

If we're the dumbest generation, then I blame it on our parents.

Really though, how do you know that the average IQ amongst youth is lower than 20 years ago? Dare I say it, CFR?

IQ rates increase over time, but IQ is far from an accurate test of intelligence, it is simply the predecessor of the current SATs and ACTs.

An IQ test is simply a test of how well one absorbs book knowledge, absorbing book knowledge has very little to do with intelligence.

Well, if there is no way to accurately measure intelligence, there is no way to demonstrate that my generation is "dumber" than previous ones.

People always think that the world is going to ruin, and wonder however it is going to survive after they've died. They've been saying the same things ever since Adam and Eve.

Why don't y'all just pick on someone your own size? :P

Speaking of that, how about the stats for the Southern Baptists? Are they still decreasing?

From the article:

And the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's second largest denomination and long a reliable generator of church growth, reported a decline in membership for the third year in a row, down .42 percent to 16,160,088 members.

Read the whole article here:

Trends continue in church membership growth or decline

Why would that be ironic? In times of economic uncertainty, would that not be expected.

Well, I suppose that is one way to look at it, but to the best of my knowledge, these churches have continued their growth trend in good economic times and bad. The article that I linked to above highlighted how growing churches continue to grow and declining churches continue to decline, and this is a trend that has remained very steady.

Archived