Seriously No Politics ×

How Marriage Inequality Damages the Institution

Analytics

Analytics,

I don't think your post says what you think it does. Your comments indicate your daughter believes the right of marriage was taken away from same sex relationships.

Why don't you teach her proper context, that same sex marriage is a recent invention and not historical. The historical context of families would be a geat discussion topic.

Also, nothing prevents a same sex couple from making a spiritual and legal commitment to each other.

Just because their commitment may not be called marriage by the state, doesn't mean they are prevented from making a commitment.

The agenda of the GLBT advocacy has done its work well. "Marriage is an equal right". Which it is not and never has been. The trouble came into the picture when the State took over management of an essentially religious rite (not right). Now we reap the difficulty of that usurpation. Religion is all intermixed with the secular and civil laws.

In fact, the whole Prop 8 fracas was over the word "marriage". Who "owns" definitional control of that word? Until Prop 8 is upheld or finally overturned, that question remains unresolved.

Your daughter is right, that there is no justice in denying any two people the right to commit their bodies, property and souls to each other; with all the legal perks and responsibilities that is included in said-contract.

But calling it "marriage" flies in the face of historical precedent and definition. For instance: Loving vs. Virginia cannot be held to support GLBT "unions" in any way, because that SCOTUS case was only about heterosexuals marrying interracially; "marriage" only had one definition back then. That the GLBT advocacy asserts that "marriage" is what they want for themselves is fallacious if we are to respect the legalese.

So, the GLBT community can call their unions whatever they want. But the legalese will probably continue to answer to the majority's right to define what words mean. If the majority give up their right to define "marriage" as only man and woman, then I have no doubt that "marriage" will come to mean something entirely unhistorical in the future....

Not calling a homosexual relationship a marriage damages marriage? One wonders how it survived all of civilization up to the 20th century, with such a constant gnawing at its foundation?

Does not calling bestiality, or necrophillia, or pedophilia, or sex slavery a marriage damage marriage too?

How about not calling a lawyer a doctor? Does that damage the institution of medicine?

The following is a true story that I want to share because it illustrates my point of view quite well.

Let me illustrate my point if you don't disabuse her of the notion that homosexual marriage is a right even when the state recognizes heterosexual marriages only: No other success can compensate for failure in the home. You might also want to check and see if Planned Parenthood controls the cirruculum in your schools and oust them if they are.

There is no compelling reason for the state to recognize gay marriages in any way.

Upon learning that same-sex couples aren

It seems to me that your daughter's reaction to marriage was caused by her mother's beliefs more than the beliefs of the church.

What I mean by that is, it seems obvious that you support SSM and are probably open in your opinions about that being alright. Your child, like most kids, believes the teachings of her mother and so naturally reacts negatively to anything that seems to contradict those teachings.

If she had grown up with a parent who's opinion was that SSM unions shouldn't be classified as a 'marriage', I'm assuming her reaction to the news would have been that it makes sense.

That's nothing against you of course-it's our job as parents to teach our kids and we teach them our beliefs. I just think that you are incorrect in stating that the church's stance on SSM is impacting your daughters beliefs about marriage in general. I think it's th comparison between what her parent believes and what the church believes that has caused the reaction.

It seems to me that your daughter's reaction to marriage was caused by her mother's beliefs more than the beliefs of the church.

What I mean by that is, it seems obvious that you support SSM and are probably open in your opinions about that being alright. Your child, like most kids, believes the teachings of her mother and so naturally reacts negatively to anything that seems to contradict those teachings.

If she had grown up with a parent who's opinion was that SSM unions shouldn't be classified as a 'marriage', I'm assuming her reaction to the news would have been that it makes sense.

That's nothing against you of course-it's our job as parents to teach our kids and we teach them our beliefs. I just think that you are incorrect in stating that the church's stance on SSM is impacting your daughters beliefs about marriage in general. I think it's th comparison between what her parent believes and what the church believes that has caused the reaction.

This is an important point too! The home environmental is the most critical part of an early child development. The lessons and morals ingrained in young children will stay with them for life the majority of times!

Analytics,

As a civil matter --- in the coming years, your daughter's view of marriage is likely to become the dominant view of the population in the US. Marriage equality is already a reality in 5 states plus the District of Colombia. A number of other states recognize same-sex relationships through civil unions and domestic partnerships (an intermediate step, I would argue). Only a decade ago marriage rights for same-sex couples were nearly non-existent. Now several countries, including our neighbor to the north have embraced the dignity of same-sex couples and their relationships.

Tell your daughter these things take time. A societal shift is underway and it is actually occurring much faster than other social movements in the past.

The following is a true story that I want to share because it illustrates my point of view quite well.

Why would she want to support such a thing?

Because her parent does!

There was a recent Office episode where Ryan, transparently unable to commit to his relationship with Kelly, asserts his moral position is that he will not get married until all gays everywhere can marry.

Archived