Seriously No Politics ×

The Plates

inquiringmind

It's my understanding that the plates that Joseph Smith translated The BOM from were returned to the angel Moroni, were they reburried?

Is there some reason for these physical objects?

Is it Mormon belief that they will be discovered, and made public some day?

There is a tradition that Noah's Ark is being gaurded by angels, and will be discovered some day, and I don't see any reason for Moroni burrying the plates if they're not meant to be found (as he could have just dictated the contents to Joseph.)

Do you have any tradition that they'll be discovered?

It's my understanding that the plates that Joseph Smith translated The BOM from were returned to the angel Moroni, were they reburried?

No. Moroni took them with him. He has them in his keeping to this day.
God promised Mormon and Moroni that the plates (containing their writings) would be preserved and would come forth in our day. That promise was fulfilled.
The full contents of the plates will be made public some day, but not through a chance discovery.

Probably not.

According to those who saw the translation process for The Book of Mormon, the plates and Urum and Thummim weren't actually used. So we don't know what purpose the physical plates may have served. Some theorize they were to give Joseph Smith confidence and assurance that it wasn't all in his head, and once he got used to the translation process, he didn't need them anymore.

No. We are just fine with our replica versions.

golden-plates.jpg

There is a tradition that Noah's Ark is being gaurded by angels, and will be discovered some day, and I don't see any reason for Moroni burrying the plates if they're not meant to be found (as he could have just dictated the contents to Joseph.)

Not that I've heard. Some people might still think the "sealed portion" will one day be translated, but it isn't talked about that much and when it is, it's only in the vaguest terms. I'm guessing it won't happen in my lifetime.

Not that I've heard. Some people might still think the "sealed portion" will one day be translated, but it isn't talked about that much and when it is, it's only in the vaguest terms. I'm guessing it won't happen in my lifetime.

O ye of little faith! It's because of cynics like you that the sealed portion is being kept back! diablo2.gif

No, they were taken up with by the Angle Moroni to heaven for safe keeping, they were not reburied.

Yes, they are the physical records of the people of the Americas, they were recorded and kept by ancient prophets and were buried for safe keeping after the Nephite people were killed off.

Well, they won't be discovered because we know where they are, they are in heaven safe from those who would seek there destruction. There is no knowing if they will ever be made available for the public to see, I for one hope that one day they are allowed to be publicly displayed.

I don't see any reason for Moroni burrying the plates if they're not meant to be found (as he could have just dictated the contents to Joseph.)

I see several reasons, one is to strengthen the testimony of Joseph Smith, second is to allow the Twelve Witnesses to see the plates to bear witness that they do exist. Also remeember that Moroni never reburied the plates he has them in his possession in Heaven.

We know that the plates will be returned to the Church when the time has come for the sealed portion to be translated. The Book of Mormon is only the translation of 1/3rd of the plates, the remaining 3/4ths were sealed and Jospeh was forbidden from translating those parts, it is also assumed that when the sealed portion is allowed to be translated that the 116 lost pages of the Book of Lehi will also be retranslated at this time. When this will happen in unknown, all that we know is that it will happen when we are ready for it's coming forth!

According to those who saw the translation process for The Book of Mormon, the plates and Urum and Thummim weren't actually used.

This is not correct, in the beginning the plates and Urum and Thummim were used behind a screen, later on the plates were kept near by and the seer stones and hat method that is so poked fun at was used, even later the plates were kept in the house and the same seer stone method was used, towards the end Joseph didn't need any assistance from anything to translate the record, at times towards the end of the translation the plates were not even present at all because mobs had threatened to steal the plates.

So it is true that in the end stages the plates and Urum and Thummim wasn't used, but they were used in the begining. It appears that as Joseph became more and more in tune with the spirit he needed less and less assistance from any medium to receive the translation of the Plates. In the end he didn't even need to see the plates to be able to receive there translation.

Oh ye of even less faith! The sealed portion has already been brought back!

When the plates are returned they will not be left in the hands of Christopher Marc Nemelka, but in the hands of the President of the Church, God's chosen Prophet.

Christopher's forgery cannot be the seal portions it is too short and dispute his claims that none of his translations contradict the Scriptures, several contradictions have been found. The most notable is he claims Lehi is a descendant of the tribe of Ephraim, which he isn't Lehi is of the tribe of Manasseh.

He is a false prophet, who made up a fake book to deceive those who desire to greatly to have the sealed portions before God decides we are ready for them. His works when tested fail, which means his fruits are not good and he is a false prophet.

Unfortunately the plates have yet to be returned and the sealed portion of the plates have yet to be translated!

http://en.fairmormon.org/Specific_works/The_%22Book_of_Lehi%22

We know that the plates will be returned to the Church when the time has come for the sealed portion to be translated.

June 16th, 1987

The Book of Mormon is only the translation of 1/3rd of the plates, the remaining 3/4ths were sealed and Jospeh was forbidden from translating those parts, it is also assumed that when the sealed portion is allowed to be translated that the 116 lost pages of the Book of Lehi will also be retranslated at this time.

Yes, we've also received the Book of Lehi.

When this will happen i unknown,

Not anymore.

When the plates are returned they will not be left in the hands of Christopher Marc Nemelka, but in the hands of the President of the Church, God's chosen Prophet.

Says who? Did Moroni deliver his plates to the Pope or Martin Luther or Jonathan Edwards?

Christopher's forgery cannot be the seal portions it is too short

Or the translation of the unsealed portion is too long.

and dispute his claims that none of his translations contradict the Scriptures, several contradictions have been found.

Plenty of internal contradictions are found in the Bible and unsealed-BoM as well.

The most notable is he claims Lehi is a descendant of the tribe of Ephraim, which he isn't Lehi is of the tribe of Manasseh.

And Jesus was born "at Jerusalem".

He is a false prophet, who made up a fake book to deceive those who desire to greatly to have the sealed portions before God decides we are ready for them. His works when tested fail, which means his fruits are not good and he is a false prophet.

That's exactly what people say about Joseph Smith.

Says who? Did Moroni deliver his plates to the Pope or Martin Luther or Jonathan Edwards?

Or the translation of the unsealed portion is too long.

Plenty of internal contradictions are found in the Bible and unsealed-BoM as well.

And Jesus was born "at Jerusalem".

That's exactly what people say about Joseph Smith.

This is off topic, I will be glad to discuss this in a PM if you wish but we can not hijack the tread over this.

No, they were taken up with by the Angle Moroni to heaven for safe keeping, they were not reburied.

Yes, they are the physical records of the people of the Americas, they were recorded and kept by ancient prophets and were buried for safe keeping after the Nephite people were killed off.

Well, they won't be discovered because we know where they are, they are in heaven safe from those who would seek there destruction. There is no knowing if they will ever be made available for the public to see, I for one hope that one day they are allowed to be publicly displayed.

I see several reasons, one is to strengthen the testimony of Joseph Smith, second is to allow the Twelve Witnesses to see the plates to bear witness that they do exist. Also remeember that Moroni never reburied the plates he has them in his possession in Heaven.

We know that the plates will be returned to the Church when the time has come for the sealed portion to be translated. The Book of Mormon is only the translation of 1/3rd of the plates, the remaining 3/4ths were sealed and Jospeh was forbidden from translating those parts, it is also assumed that when the sealed portion is allowed to be translated that the 116 lost pages of the Book of Lehi will also be retranslated at this time. When this will happen in unknown, all that we know is that it will happen when we are ready for it's coming forth!

Thank you.

This is not correct, in the beginning the plates and Urum and Thummim were used behind a screen, later on the plates were kept near by and the seer stones and hat method that is so poked fun at was used, even later the plates were kept in the house and the same seer stone method was used, towards the end Joseph didn't need any assistance from anything to translate the record, at times towards the end of the translation the plates were not even present at all because mobs had threatened to steal the plates.

So it is true that in the end stages the plates and Urum and Thummim wasn't used, but they were used in the begining. It appears that as Joseph became more and more in tune with the spirit he needed less and less assistance from any medium to receive the translation of the Plates. In the end he didn't even need to see the plates to be able to receive there translation.

CFR on a report of the Book of Mormon translation (after the loss of the 116 pages) having the plates anywhere nearby, or the Urim and Thummim (not the seer stone) being involved. Are there any stories of the plates being stored, hidden or transported* after the incident with the 116 pages?

*When Joseph moved from Harmony to the Whitmers in June of 1829, he didn't bring the plates with him but instead said that an angel was delegated the responsibility of moving them. I'm not sure that would be an evidence of the plates being around at that time.

CFR on a report of the Book of Mormon translation (after the loss of the 116 pages) having the plates anywhere nearby, or the Urim and Thummim (not the seer stone) being involved. Are there any stories of the plates being stored, hidden or transported* after the incident with the 116 pages?

*When Joseph moved from Harmony to the Whitmers in June of 1829, he didn't bring the plates with him but instead said that an angel was delegated the responsibility of moving them. I'm not sure that would be an evidence of the plates being around at that time.

As far as I know Joseph hid the plates because of continued attempts by mobs to take the plates.

As far as I know Joseph hid the plates because of continued attempts by mobs to take the plates.

I can't recall having heard any stories of "mobs" during the translation of the Book of Mormon. Which "continued attempts" were you thinking of?

Archived