Seriously No Politics ×

"Hanukkiah" Earthworks

PacMan

Try http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/efw.pdf

Personally, I don't think this is a Hebraism. The hanukkiah was not a symbol of Judaism then. Why would they choose it and not the menorah, which was an ubiquituous Jewish symbol? Also, why are they of differing hieghts, and why the weird bits on the end ones?

Also, it doesn't resemble ancient hanukkiot at all. http://www.education.gov.il/moe/hagut/hanuka/heres1.htm

I don't know what to make of this (especially since the miracle of Hannukka occured in Jerusalem, centuries after the Nephites and Lamanites would have arrived in this hemisphere), but are there any other Hebraisms in ancient north, central, or south America?

I vaguely remember reading about a star of David (or seal of Solomon) found somewhere (Mexico, I think, does anyone have any reliable info on this kind of thing?

I don't know what to make of this (especially since the miracle of Hannukka occured in Jerusalem, centuries after the Nephites and Lamanites would have arrived in this hemisphere), but are there any other Hebraisms in ancient north, central, or south America?

I vaguely remember reading about a star of David (or seal of Solomon) found somewhere (Mexico, I think, does anyone have any reliable info on this kind of thing?

A star of David was found somehwere in Central America, and even in New Mexico, but this was not a Jewish symbol anymore than Swastikas were (which have been found in Capernaum and other places).

A star of David was found somehwere in Central America, and even in New Mexico, but this was not a Jewish symbol anymore than Swastikas were (which have been found in Capernaum and other places).

The Nazis borrowed and inverted the swastka from the ancient Chineese.

Whether or not it's meaning and origins are known, it is an ancient symbol.

(Were the swatstikas found in Capernaum and elsewhere oriented to the right or the left?)

It seems to me that Stars of David found in the new world are evidence of a possible Jewish presence (though whether or not they actually are Jewish symbols would be a matter of interpreting the evidence.)

Thank you.

(Were the swatstikas found in Capernaum and elsewhere oriented to the right or the left?)

It seems to me that Stars of David found in the new world are evidence of a possible Jewish presence (though whether or not they actually are Jewish symbols would be a matter of interpreting the evidence.)

Thank you.

Thank you.

I don't remember the swastika orientation.

The star of David was found in Israel along with a plethora of other symbols. It hardly points to jewish influence more than to the Indian subcontinent.

Is any of this true?

[Extensive Semetic Presence Documented in Pre-Columbian America] Many enjoyed a good chuckle when Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles, playing a Native Indian chief, looks over a stagecoach and then dismisses them in Yiddish:

P.S. Have you ever heard of the Detroit Manuscript?

I have not until your post. I looked it up and it seems to be on par with Ethan Smiths the View of the Hebrews or the Spalding manuscript as a source for the Book of Mormon. I am confident as experts look at it in the future they will come to the same conclusions as they did with the View of the Hebrews or the Spalding manuscript IOW unrelated to the BofM.

I have not until your post. I looked it up and it seems to be on par with Ethan Smiths the View of the Hebrews or the Spalding manuscript as a source for the Book of Mormon. I am confident as experts look at it in the future they will come to the same conclusions as they did with the View of the Hebrews or the Spalding manuscript IOW unrelated to the BofM.

Thank you.

You said the Los Lunas stone is a forgery.

Do you know of any inscriptions or artifacts linking the pre-Columbian New World to the ancient near east??

I remember reading (years ago, in a non-Mormon publication) of a Pheonocian incription discovered somewhere in central or south America.

Do you know of any inscriptions or artifacts linking the pre-Columbian New World to the ancient near east??

I know of none.

However I think there was pre-Columbian contact, not only with what we believe from Lehi's family, Jaredites and Mulekites but possible contact from Japan to South America (similarities in pottery is the supporting evidence). There has been some suggestion of cocaine in Egyptian mummies which would suggest contact since cocaine is from the New World. And some theories of pacific islanders being the first Americans. I think as more discoveries are made we will possibly see others as well. At first it was just migration via the Bering land bridge now other theories are coming forth and slowly being accepted.

Archived