Seriously No Politics ×

False Prophet Question

Tribunal

If a person with the gift of prophecy gave a personal opinion that was contrary to the doctrine or the ways of God, would that person be a false prophet?

I've heard comments made that any statement from a prophet that isn't inline with doctrine is just the opinion of the prophet and is not actually a false prophecy. How can this be? If a person is intune with the Spirit and has the gift of prophecy, if they give an opinion contrary to the doctrine or the ways of God, how can they be intune with the Spirit, and still retain the gift of prophecy?

I've heard these comments made about Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other leaders of the Church. Either they were prophets or they weren't? Or their "personal opinions" were misunderstood by both critics and followers? Wouldn't it be all or nothing?

Was Jonah a false prophet because he tried to run from what the Lord commanded him to do?

What is a prophet? According to LDS.org:

Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach His gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences. At times, they may be inspired to prophesy of future events for our benefit.

This is the work of the prophets. The fact that they are human beings the rest of the time doesn't negate their prophetic calling. The fact that the Lord doesn't reveal everything, even to his prophets, doesn't negate the purpose of their calling. The fact that at times they may even have their own ideas about how things should be doesn't negate the purpose of their calling as stated above.

So no it isn't all or nothing. If you know anything about the OT prophets you know that they too were very human and perhaps did not always act according to their prophetic calling.

If a person with the gift of prophecy gave a personal opinion that was contrary to the doctrine or the ways of God, would that person be a false prophet?

I've heard comments made that any statement from a prophet that isn't inline with doctrine is just the opinion of the prophet and is not actually a false prophecy. How can this be? If a person is intune with the Spirit and has the gift of prophecy, if they give an opinion contrary to the doctrine or the ways of God, how can they be intune with the Spirit, and still retain the gift of prophecy?

I've heard these comments made about Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and other leaders of the Church. Either they were prophets or they weren't? Or their "personal opinions" were misunderstood by both critics and followers? Wouldn't it be all or nothing?

I have to say you have a very good question. I have thought about this my self. and I can only answer it with my own understanding.

I don't think the gift of prophecy has a on off switch if it did that would be cool. also I my self belive that all men and women can have revelations or in lame man terms, talking with god and god talking with us. I feel the spirit when i seek guidince of the lord and the out come is very good but there is a factor that i must always watch, and that is I am only human and make mistakes once and a while and think that god whants me to do something because i really want to have that or do that. we all have those moments.

So back to the prophets they are just like me and everyone else, and thee trying to help the world find happiness and trust in the Lord.

the prophets have never said they are infallible there has been only one group of men on the earth that I can think of that said they are infallible and they are the popes (lol).

When it all comes down to the matter we are the ones and jesus that get our selve to heaven not anyone else.

juat like my bible camp song

You cant get to heaven on roller skate, youll glid right past those pearly gates.

you cant get to heaven in the bishops car, because the bishops car wont go that far.

and a few other lines i think we get the point.

I heard an old church Patriarch give a talk in a fireside where he talked about how he would have to prepare when he had to give a blessing. Often he would be out with the cows and often get frustrated using more colorful language than he should. If he had to give a blessing he would need to get himself cleaned up and spend a couple of hours or more reading the scriptures and praying until he felt the spirit.

Joseph Smith received revelation almost always when he was studying the scriptures and asked a question. So yes preparation is part of a prophet's calling in order to do what he needs as prophet.

At one temple dedication I attended, Pres. Hinckley who was presiding was having difficulty speaking as he was losing his voice. As you may know temple dedication prayers are rather long. As he began the prayer immediately his voice became strong and forceful. After the prayer he was back to his weak voice. He was prophet the whole time but when it came time to do his prophetic duty of giving the dedicatory prayer you knew he was imbued with the Spirit and strength beyond what he had.

My kids once argued about what they should get me for Father's day. One said I wanted a video game I played with him. Another said that I like picture I admired with her at the museum and they should buy one for my study. The youngest argued that all I really wanted was a shoulder rub. They all know me intimately, they know I love them and they love me. All three want to make me happy and fill me with joy. They all tend to follow me instructions and try to do the right thing, and they all have my name.

I heard an old church Patriarch give a talk in a fireside where he talked about how he would have to prepare when he had to give a blessing. Often he would be out with the cows and often get frustrated using more colorful language than he should. If he had to give a blessing he would need to get himself cleaned up and spend a couple of hours or more reading the scriptures and praying until he felt the spirit.

Joseph Smith received revelation almost always when he was studying the scriptures and asked a question. So yes preparation is part of a prophet's calling in order to do what he needs as prophet.

At one temple dedication I attended, Pres. Hinckley who was presiding was having difficulty speaking as he was losing his voice. As you may know temple dedication prayers are rather long. As he began the prayer immediately his voice became strong and forceful. After the prayer he was back to his weak voice. He was prophet the whole time but when it came time to do his prophetic duty of giving the dedicatory prayer you knew he was imbued with the Spirit and strength beyond what he had.

Deborah, have you ever heart President Monson's talk on the stuttering boy who baptized someone? It's remarkably similar... I think God certainly gives us strength to speak for those sacred things.

Joseph Smith said that a prophet is only a prophet when he is speaking as such. The prophecies that he intended to be commemorated are found in the Doctrine and Coevenants.

Glenn

How is a person in the midst of delivering prophecy to really know whether:

1. they actually have the gift of prophecy from God

2. only think/believe they have the gift of prophecy from God but it's only their own mind generating the 'prophecy' (ie, no supernatural beings actually being accessed, totally independent as to whether God exists or not).

3. believe they have the gift of prophecy from God but in actuality it's "Stan" (ie Sa-tan) yet again deceiving millions with unholy ideas.

I think the perfect example of what you're describing occurs in:

2 Samuel, Chapter 7

1And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the LORD had given him rest round about from all his enemies;

2That the king said unto Nathan the prophet, See now, I dwell in an house of cedar, but the ark of God dwelleth within curtains.

3And Nathan said to the king, Go, do all that is in thine heart; for the LORD is with thee.

4And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying, 5Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in....?

.....12And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. 13He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

So Nathan the prophet spoke according to his opinion and quite shortly thereafter, even later that night, the Lord spoke to him and corrected his error and told him to make it right. This is how the Lord works with his true prophets.

Only when a person speaks under the influence of the Holy Ghost are they speaking prophetically, this happens usually with much scripture study and much pray and fasting as we are told in Alma 17:2-3 "Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angelfirst appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God. But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God."

Prophecy is not as 24/7 thing it requires much scripture study, prayer, and fasting. It is not logical to think that every word out of a prophet's mouth is a prophecy, if that is the case I would hate to be the son or daughter of a prophet! LOL

Archived