Seriously No Politics ×

Leadership Broadcast earlier

Duncan

The Leadership broadcast was on earlier today and was wondering what you thought about it? I thought it was okay, I wasn't in attendance at the first one in Nov. I liked the simulated ward council meetings from Guatemala, England and South Korea.

Summary of what I remembered:

• The Handbook is a Treasure, and should be studied and applied.
  • Use the Ward council. That's the key to everything.
  • Bishops: Delegate. Everyone else: Prayerfully do what was delegated to you. Also, don't sit and wait for something to be delegated to you before you do it, or it'll never get done.
  • Seriously, let the Ward Council do their thing. Especially the women.
  • Don't waste time in PEC.
  • Doctrine, Policy, Procedure
  • We don't teach about Priesthood Keys enough, and frankly most people really don't understand what they are. (Elder Holland)
  • No, really. Ward Council. Where it's at.

nack,

I read elsewhere that someone said the CHI is doctrine. Is that accurate?

Elder Oaks did say something like that. I raised an eyebrow when he did, and then smiled, knowing that an in depth bloggernacle discussion and dissection of that point was only a day or two moments away :P

He was very specific...he said that Handbook 2 is doctrine.

Also, another thing I noted in this broadcast was the emphasis on getting input from the Sisters.

The most specific council in this broadcast is that the new handbook facilitates ministering and revelation. We have to prepare ourselves spiritually to receive proper guidance by the spirit.

It was a wonderful broadcast and I left with the feeling that we have definitely raised the bar in ministering to the needs of the families.

nack,

I read elsewhere that someone said the CHI is doctrine. Is that accurate?

oaks did say that but i think holland said that the scriptures were the great( or something around that ) hand book, but they did also say that chi was to help guide revelation.

He was very specific...he said that Handbook 2 is doctrine.

Also, another thing I noted in this broadcast was the emphasis on getting input from the Sisters.

The most specific council in this broadcast is that the new handbook facilitates ministering and revelation. We have to prepare ourselves spiritually to receive proper guidance by the spirit.

It was a wonderful broadcast and I left with the feeling that we have definitely raised the bar in ministering to the needs of the families.

I love this fact I have been feeling this since I joined the church that they place to much enphesis on callings and church funtion and not enough on the family, I belive every man should guid his family in the way on the lord and not leave it up to others, just like the apostle said it wont get done.

Elder Oaks did say something like that. I raised an eyebrow when he did, and then smiled, knowing that an in depth bloggernacle discussion and dissection of that point was only a day or two moments away :P

It was said at least twice, I believe by Elder Oaks and someone else.

I thought it was great. Major move toward flexibility and being directed by the spirit.

Edit: Now that I think about it though, he said those first few chapters in front were doctrine- he specifically mentioned those chapters "which are doctrinal", I am almost positive that is the way it was phrased.

It was said at least twice, I believe by Elder Oaks and someone else.

I thought it was great. Major move toward flexibility and being directed by the spirit.

Edit: Now that I think about it though, he said those first few chapters in front were doctrine- he specifically mentioned those chapters "which are doctrinal", I am almost positive that is the way it was phrased.

I remember it is being in reference to the entire, and not specifically about the three doctrinal chapters. Which is why I took note of it. We'll see when the transcript and video are posted online.

I remember it is being in reference to the entire, and not specifically about the three doctrinal chapters. Which is why I took note of it. We'll see when the transcript and video are posted online.

I just checked my notes and I think I agree with you now.

I wrote in my notes the words: "book 2 is doctrinal" with quotes around the phrase- indicating to me that that was an actual quote. I would not have put quotes around it if it wasn't.

But I also think he said that about the first three chapters - repeating and emphasizing it.

I just checked my notes and I think I agree with you now.

I wrote in my notes the words: "book 2 is doctrinal" with quotes around the phrase- indicating to me that that was an actual quote. I would not have put quotes around it if it wasn't.

But I also think he said that about the first three chapters - repeating and emphasizing it.

I wrote it as a quote as well. Later, Elder Quentin L. Cook said that it was Doctrinally based. When Elders Holland, Bednar and Christopherson had discussion, the point was made that many people may gloss over the first 3 chapters, but that they shouldn't because there is "tremendous power in sequence".

I wrote it as a quote as well. Later, Elder Quentin L. Cook said that it was Doctrinally based. When Elders Holland, Bednar and Christopherson had discussion, the point was made that many people may gloss over the first 3 chapters, but that they shouldn't because there is "tremendous power in sequence".

Beyond discussing what is and what is not doctrine in the new handbook, should we not discuss the contents themselves?

Beyond discussing what is and what is not doctrine in the new handbook, should we not discuss the contents themselves?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you want to discuss the contents, start a topic. The topic here was asking what we thought about the broadcast.

Yep, I think you aced it. I was pretty confident that at least 2 speakers mentioned the word "doctrine".

Just reviewed the video. The intended spoken word by Oaks were (at 4:19) are 'It is doctrinal', but you can only hear the 'Doctrin' part. You see him mouth 'al', but it is difficult to hear. The Summary also quotes him as saying 'doctrinal'. This is why we have recordings and transcripts. Because without distinctly listening and looking for it, it still very much sounds like he says, "It is doctrine."

The point to me now being understood that it is based on doctrine, not that it is doctrine. We can move along now :P

Unfortunately, I had to miss the broadcast yesterday, and will catch it on the website a little later. For anyone who did see it, was there, by any chance, a summary of the major administrative changes?

For instance, we seem to discover new stuff every week, as we read it, like only one stake priesthood meeting per year, instead of two, and new changes to hometeaching. It would be really nice if there was a summary given, somewhere.

H.

I loved it. I excitedly shared bits of what I remembered with two of my priests on our way to church yesterday, and one of them said he was excited to watch it online. I was impressed when one of the apostles compared us to those in Joseph Smith's day who draw near to God with our lips and teach for commandments the precepts of men.

Unfortunately, I had to miss the broadcast yesterday, and will catch it on the website a little later. For anyone who did see it, was there, by any chance, a summary of the major administrative changes?

For instance, we seem to discover new stuff every week, as we read it, like only one stake priesthood meeting per year, instead of two, and new changes to hometeaching. It would be really nice if there was a summary given, somewhere.

H.

Actually, that was covered in the broadcast, they specifically said that such a summary would be inappropriate. For some silly reason they actually want us to read the manuals!

Actually, that was covered in the broadcast, they specifically said that such a summary would be inappropriate. For some silly reason they actually want us to read the manuals!

Well, I don't think I'd skip out on reading the manual just because there are some changes to callings and meetings summarized. Maybe I'll write up a summary of important administrative changes and post it on the interwebs.

H.

Archived