Seriously No Politics ×

Talents and the discovery thereof

Duncan

So as I read the scriptures it says that we all have talents which I agree that we do my question is how do we know we are developing the right ones or any at all? For example let's say you learn how to skate and want to make it the NHL or have a good throwing arm and want to make it in the Pros, but God wants you to learn how to make computer stuff or learn finances or something, is there some master list? How are we to know we developing what we should?

So as I read the scriptures it says that we all have talents which I agree that we do my question is how do we know we are developing the right ones or any at all? For example let's say you learn how to skate and want to make it the NHL or have a good throwing arm and want to make it in the Pros, but God wants you to learn how to make computer stuff or learn finances or something, is there some master list? How are we to know we developing what we should?

You need to figure out what your purpose is. No not the textbook answer you'd be giving to that question in Sunday School class; you need to know what YOUR personal purpose is, getting very specific here. That's easy to say but takes focused effort to actually find out. Here is a resource that you may find useful, and I recommend you incorporate prayer in the process as suggested by Tao:

http://celestinechua.com/blog/how-to-find-out-if-you-are-living-your-real-purpose-now/

stYro

My philosophy bout talents is that they are closely related to how much you enjoy doing them for their own sake. You can't really know how much you enjoy doing something unless you try it. Hence, in my life I've tried many different activities, and I continue to discover new ones that really interest me. I've tried cooking, photography, playing the piano, singing, composing music, writing, acting, various sports etc. I find some of these much more enjoyable than others, so I spend more time on them, and I suppose they become a "talent".

For some things, I guess I have a bit of ease right from the start (languages for example), but others take much more time to develop. For example I love chess, but I'm really not very good at it.

All good responses! I was also thinking like what if you want to be a pastry chef to the stars but God is like nope I want you to do something else is there someway he will let you know that so you won't get theologically boiled in oil in the life to come?

All good responses! I was also thinking like what if you want to be a pastry chef to the stars but God is like nope I want you to do something else is there someway he will let you know that so you won't get theologically boiled in oil in the life to come?

If you have good reason to believe God wants you to do something else, it is your responsibility to check it out. And you probably won't get more direction on the matter until you have acted on what you were previously given, in my opinion.

On the other hand if you do not have good reason to believe God has told you to do something else, go ahead and become the best dang pastry cook the stars ever had. If you're that good God's not gonna boil you anyway - he'll put you to work in the kitchen.

Keep doing your best to yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit and put off the natural man and become a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and become as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord sees fit to inflict upon you, even as a child submits to his father, and He will let you know.

Follow the Spirit! I asked my parents for piano lessons when I was 4. They took me seriously instead of thinking it was a phase and it has been a great blessing in my life. That led me towards singing too. You might have a lot of talents and you don't have to be the greatest at all of them. I love cooking and people love my cooking, but I'm not a chef. Still, I can use it to serve others.

Archived