Scripture study methods

I'm interested in learning from everyone, whether LDS or not. How do you study the scriptures? I don't really want to know how often you do it, I'm just interested in methods you have found useful.

Personally I have tried a variety of methods, but I must say I learn the most when I take notes while I read. When I just read casually, I quickly lose interest and my mind is unable to focus very long on what I'm reading.

I also find that discussing what I'm reading with my wife (or others) is a great way to stimulate interest and to learn more.

What about you?

I first read chapters I like. Verses I note than I take a look at the footnotes. From there, I go Bible Dictionary, Topical Guide, and JST if I am further interested. If I am super-interested, then I go to LDS.org for a plethora of results to choose from =).

I first read chapters I like. Verses I note than I take a look at the footnotes. From there, I go Bible Dictionary, Topical Guide, and JST if I am further interested. If I am super-interested, then I go to LDS.org for a plethora of results to choose from =).

"Well, you told me [you] have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora."

I also take notes when I read also put my thoughts in what I think they mean and then later after a while I look up all the scriptures i took notes on in diffrent commentary's buy members and non members to see what others said about it.

Also i read every sunday school lesson and answer all of the questions found in the student lesson book.

also I follow a list

Pray

Read

Study

ponder

comprehend

pray

apply

"Well, you told me [you] have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora."

For me it means a large variety. Pick an interesting gospel topic, and search for it, and as long as it isn't too obscure, you'll come up with quite a few good search results. That's what I mean =D.

Hi Nicolas,

Hope things are good your way.

In regards to the question, you will have to bear in mind that my expletive is in reference to the Bible.. primarily.

I do get where you are coming from, I think. On some level casual reading is, well casual reading.

In an effort to spice up things, make them interesting and so forth. Over the last couple years or so, I have tried to play the role of a detective of sorts.

As Charlie Chan once said, "Good detective never ask "what" and "why" until after he's seen."

Lately I have enjoyed trying to play the role of the writers immediate intended audience. In example, take 1st Thessalonians. Likely this was Paul's first epistle and also the first written work that would emerge in the New Testament.

I can't fully imagine what it we be like.. a Christian resident of Thessaloniki during times of persecution. Though such a person would likely lean heavily upon the Septuagint, Paul's previous teaching, circulating stories of Christ (possibly the "Q" source). I think the arrival of a letter from Paul would be an exhilarating event and I try to figure out, if I were such a person, what actual meaning I would attach to it all based on what I had been given.

Certainly a bit of it is beyond imaginable for me. However, when hypothetically placing myself in such a position. Then the words that have been given have a different sort of look to them, they become "fresh" to me in a different way. Then I try and take what meanings I could have possibly derived from them "then" and try and make it all work out with "now".

I suppose if you look at Scripture like a fully bloomed flower, or perhaps a blooming flower in your circumstance. And you then try and forget about the fact that you know it's bloomed, or more bloomed than it was. You can go back and look at these "snapshots" of it's growth over time and consider their meaning in that light, as well.

I imagine, you will reach the same conclusion that I have. That being, there was never a moment in it all.. even from it's first budding, when God's word was not beautiful and full of depth and meaning.

Regards,

Mudcat

Logos Bible Software FTW! I could make a very long post of describing the different kinds of language/grammar tools and commentaries (I recommend BDAG 3rd edition as the go-to lexicon, Hatch-Redpath for the OT and Strong's in general as the best concordances, and Anchor Bible Commentary as one of the best commentaries), but I won't do that. All the best stuff is available on Logos, and for somewhere between 1 and 200 bucks, you can have all the best tools of a seminary library right on your computer set up in the most user-friendly manner possible. You'd have to spend at least a couple grand in order to have all this stuff in book form, and then you'd have to find somewhere to store all of it. Logos is where it's at. I mean, if you have a seminary library on hand or an absurdly wide variety of resources available at church, that can work. But even then, Logos is quicker and easier to use.

also one more good trick to help memorize the scriptures is that as I read I find cool fact and put them in to scripyure trivia question Like i was reading act and came upon the tribe that paul is from and wrote "what tribe is paul the apostle from?" i like this way since my family likes to play lots of trivia and hold challenges.