Seriously No Politics ×

Would Jesus Christ minister on the Internet?

Questing Beast

If Jesus Christ appeared on the earth in our day and age, would he spend any time on the Internet, e.g. on THIS forum, debating with the modern disciples of the "scribes and pharisees", and preaching his gospel?

Or would he rather shun this medium utterly and do his ministry the old way: preaching in the open, wandering about as a simple man, shunning modernity and the conveniences of modern communication?

And why do you believe he would do one or the other, or BOTH?...

If Jesus Christ appeared on the earth in our day and age, would he spend any time on the Internet, e.g. on THIS forum, debating with the modern disciples of the "scribes and pharisees", and preaching his gospel?

Or would he rather shun this medium utterly and do his ministry the old way: preaching in the open, wandering about as a simple man, shunning modernity and the conveniences of modern communication?

everyone knows Jesus is too old to pick up using a computer :P

Seriously though, Christ would get his disciples the old fashioned way, and he would instruct them to go forth and preach.

Since we hang out on the INTERNET alot more than at the market, or town center, the INTERNET is a must for the modern Jesus.

However, I doubt he would tele-evangelize since it takes big bucks to buy the air time.

I think Jesus would go where the people are and use current socially accepted techniques to gain their attention, teach them, etc. So yes, he would be on the internet, among other things. This board? I think he would stay only long enough to call for disciples. Of course Jesus is already on the internet. He can be found at lds.org. :P

I think Jesus would go where the people are and use current socially accepted techniques to gain their attention, teach them, etc. So yes, he would be on the internet, among other things. This board? I think he would stay only long enough to call for disciples. Of course Jesus is already on the internet. He can be found at lds.org. :P

Phew, you made me start for a second, I thought you were about to write "He can be found at wikipedia.org"!!!

When he does come; their will be absolutely no need for him to use the internet; .:P

Assuming that we are talking about his glorious return, I think he would do both. There is no substitute for the personal touch, but then there's a limit to the number of mortals who can personally interact with someone in the course of a day.

I also think that sentimental ideas about Jesus as a "simple man" are somewhat overdrawn. He was clearly literate, which made him better-educated than many of his contemporaries, and may have spoken as many as four languages. When he sent out the Twelve and the Seventy, he was using the best methods of communication then available; why should now be different?

Regards,

Pahoran

Assuming that we are talking about his glorious return, I think he would do both. There is no substitute for the personal touch, but then there's a limit to the number of mortals who can personally interact with someone in the course of a day.

I also think that sentimental ideas about Jesus as a "simple man" are somewhat overdrawn. He was clearly literate, which made him better-educated than many of his contemporaries, and may have spoken as many as four languages. When he sent out the Twelve and the Seventy, he was using the best methods of communication then available; why should now be different?

Regards,

Pahoran

This might be slightly off topic; but were personal envoys really the best methods of communication available at the meridian of time? Were there doves/message birds? This is an honest question.

This might be slightly off topic; but were personal envoys really the best methods of communication available at the meridian of time? Were there doves/message birds? This is an honest question.

I've heard of carrier pigeons being used for conveying messages; I don't know how widespread they were. Of course, they could only carry fairly small (and light) messages. And the recipient had to want to read them.

Of course, there were mail services back then. But I don't think they were set up for general distribution of mail; I suspect they were mostly private courier services.

Thus, to reach people in large numbers, with whom you were not already in regular contact, it seems that personal envoys were it.

Regards,

Pahoran

I've heard of carrier pigeons being used for conveying messages; I don't know how widespread they were. Of course, they could only carry fairly small (and light) messages. And the recipient had to want to read them.

Of course, there were mail services back then. But I don't think they were set up for general distribution of mail; I suspect they were mostly private courier services.

Thus, to reach people in large numbers, with whom you were not already in regular contact, it seems that personal envoys were it.

Regards,

Pahoran

The Roman Cursus Publicus was the state run postal system that outlasted the empire, enduring into the Byzantine era. Land couriers routinely exceeded 50 miles per day and ocean-borne post could greatly exceed that rate, given proper conditions.

I was in a bit of a rush when I posted this thread. So I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

Let's assume that THIS is the time frame for Jesus Christ to minister, not 2000 years ago. Our technology, our world: he appears before the dominant religions of the world, of which he is a part: our equivalent would be Mormonism and mainstream Christianity: with Mormonism being the local religion and completely, dogmatically in charge of everything. The USA is the Roman empire; Christianity is the "state" religion in place of Roman paganism. The conditions are not that different, really, from a juxtaposed philosophical and religious comparison. Christianity isn't the only religion respected by the State (USA). It is shared by most other nations, as paganism was in the Meridian of Time. Judasim was the official (subject) state religion of Jesus' homeland; but Rome ruled.

Jesus began by bearding the local religious leaders in their lairs; calling them to repentance, criticizing the modern day corruption/apostasy into which Judaism had lapsed (nothing new there). The local leaders, as much in charge of secular as religious affairs (as the LDS Church influence is in all practicality in Utah), saw Jesus Christ as a threat to the established order. He was not all sweetness and love; he was willing to denounce hypocrisy at the highest levels of the "church". He did this in the existing public fora of the day.

Today, if Jesus Christ arose from humble origins and entered onto the local stage of public awareness, he would use the Internet. He might even get his "start" there.

Vis-a-vis the Second Coming, no, I do not think that Jesus Christ would be making any personal "appearances" here (if the infrastructure survived such an event in the first place). But I am sure that the Media would display everything he ever said or did, and that of course would get onto the Net, where "we" would talk about what it all means.

How would/could Jesus or one of his disciples convince anyone on the Net that they are the genuine article? We are all so anonymous "here"; anyone can claim to be whoever, and use the Net's phenomenal information "highway" to get instantaneous "credentials" to back up what they say. If someone got on the Net, even Jesus Christ, claiming the things that he claimed about himself, they'd "put him away"; they'd "laugh him to scorn", at the very least. The Net is a very unforgiving and skeptical place, after all. I think that Jesus' time spent "here" would be largely feckless; he'd only do it in order to remove any justification by Net denizens later claiming that he didn't even try to reach them.

As for WoW :P I doubt that Jesus Christ could reach my sons any better than I do. Perhaps coming up with a spiff new virtual quest game that pointed them toward "victory conditions" in the CK would be one step to recovery. But I am skeptical. "God" will let anyone who wants to use their time in virtual living enjoy their "rewards". It's their choice. "Whatever blows your horn", etc. There isn't anything sinful per se about using your days playing games. You aren't harming anyone or engaging in immoral pursuits, etc. Would Jesus get on WoW and start trying to collect "disciples" to leave WoW and "follow me"? I can't see that happening either....

Oh, I see what you're saying. If Jesus hadn't come yet already, would He personally use the Internet if born during this time? I think He would, but I think the majority of His time would be face to face with people.

As for WoW :P I doubt that Jesus Christ could reach my sons any better than I do. Perhaps coming up with a spiff new virtual quest game that pointed them toward "victory conditions" in the CK would be one step to recovery. But I am skeptical. "God" will let anyone who wants to use their time in virtual living enjoy their "rewards". It's their choice. "Whatever blows your horn", etc. There isn't anything sinful per se about using your days playing games. You aren't harming anyone or engaging in immoral pursuits, etc. Would Jesus get on WoW and start trying to collect "disciples" to leave WoW and "follow me"? I can't see that happening either....

This is a derailment just to answer this particular section of your post. Personally I consider the misspending of one's time, or the misuse of one's free agency, sinful, within the "omission" category. This is dependent on the degree of knowledge, of course. I don't think there's anything inherently sinful in the practice of online gaming, but I do believe it is a common outlet for misused time and wasted agency.

Some of my brothers struggle with WoW addiction (in their own words), and I can't help thinking that, using your analogy, they may be compared with the publicans with which Christ would be keen to spend time, although perhaps not calling them directly to come and follow him.

To the OP I would have to say 'YES'. He has also used worse means... of getting the word out.

1 Corinthians 1:21

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Remember that Paul communicated a great deal through letters. I think the Lord would use whatever sources are at his disposal. However, if anyone thinks this site is the means for proselytizing, he needs to rethink. This is a discussion board and there are other sources for online missionary work.

This is a derailment just to answer this particular section of your post. Personally I consider the misspending of one's time, or the misuse of one's free agency, sinful, within the "omission" category. This is dependent on the degree of knowledge, of course. I don't think there's anything inherently sinful in the practice of online gaming, but I do believe it is a common outlet for misused time and wasted agency.

Some of my brothers struggle with WoW addiction (in their own words), and I can't help thinking that, using your analogy, they may be compared with the publicans with which Christ would be keen to spend time, although perhaps not calling them directly to come and follow him.

Perhaps. I would have, in another "era" of parenting, had MUCH to say, OFTEN, about "wasting time" and "burying your talent", etc. Not anymore. Because to me any "sin of omission" is purely a judgmental matter; and I DO accept what Christ said about judging others. It is perhaps the hardest thing we face in keeping our mouths shut. Much else besides video gaming (hobbies of all sorts) has since been relegated by me into the "do not address this as an issue" category: simply because I don't share anyone else's head. All I can go by is the yardstick of Justice: is what the individual doing or failing to do causing or promoting some form of injustice? If the answer is not an obvious YES, then I continue with my own business. I judge my own acts and desires the same way: and anymore, very little is "sin", imho.

Addressing WoW specifically (my son is six feet to my left engaged in a game even as we "speak"): my son (the same) has been home from his full-time mission to Alaska for just two months. I know he doesn't consider himself "addicted" in any way. Yet he divides his time between school, the game and sleep; pretty much, that is it. His younger brother, also on a mission in Brazil (as we "speak"), is more bothered by such things: he did confess uneasy feelings from time to time; yet spent his time before mission between job, the game and sleeping; pretty much that was it. Why? Because others, leaders in particular (not their dad, count on that!), and even peers listening to said-leaders, put the "guilties" on them. Yet both "boys" spend Internet time gaming with friends and family members. They have a society, a club of like-fans of the hobby. This is a good thing by itself. If they were playing/working with live, physically present people, and eschewed Online gaming as a "waste of time", they would give up contact with those friends and family (many of whom are far away physically). So again, I leave such value judgments up to them....

I think Christ would definitely utilize the technological benefits of the internet. I doubt that he would sit behind a computer but he would have his messages going out across You Tube to the millions around the world who could not be there in person.

If you want to be technical Jesus Christ does use the internet to preach his gospel through his servants. As Mormons we believe that Christ guides this Church by direct revelation. So when the Church started using the internet as a median to preach the gospel that was by the direction of Jesus Christ. So Christ is already using the internet via his followers and servants to preach the Message of his Restored Gospel to millions every day.

What I have wondered though is when Christ returns to the earth will he keep the beard and robes or shave and wear a suit like his modern apostles do?

Imagine Jesus wearing a suit sitting on the stand presiding over General Conference with President Monson conducting!!!

Perhaps. I would have, in another "era" of parenting, had MUCH to say, OFTEN, about "wasting time" and "burying your talent", etc. Not anymore. Because to me any "sin of omission" is purely a judgmental matter; and I DO accept what Christ said about judging others. It is perhaps the hardest thing we face in keeping our mouths shut. Much else besides video gaming (hobbies of all sorts) has since been relegated by me into the "do not address this as an issue" category: simply because I don't share anyone else's head. All I can go by is the yardstick of Justice: is what the individual doing or failing to do causing or promoting some form of injustice? If the answer is not an obvious YES, then I continue with my own business. I judge my own acts and desires the same way: and anymore, very little is "sin", imho.

Addressing WoW specifically (my son is six feet to my left engaged in a game even as we "speak"): my son (the same) has been home from his full-time mission to Alaska for just two months. I know he doesn't consider himself "addicted" in any way. Yet he divides his time between school, the game and sleep; pretty much, that is it. His younger brother, also on a mission in Brazil (as we "speak"), is more bothered by such things: he did confess uneasy feelings from time to time; yet spent his time before mission between job, the game and sleeping; pretty much that was it. Why? Because others, leaders in particular (not their dad, count on that!), and even peers listening to said-leaders, put the "guilties" on them. Yet both "boys" spend Internet time gaming with friends and family members. They have a society, a club of like-fans of the hobby. This is a good thing by itself. If they were playing/working with live, physically present people, and eschewed Online gaming as a "waste of time", they would give up contact with those friends and family (many of whom are far away physically). So again, I leave such value judgments up to them....

I'd like to discuss this with you in another thread or by PM, you make some very good points.

Yes he would...but unlike me he can spell. Of course he would... :P

Jesus preached in synagogues, Paul spoke at Mars Hill....those examples come to mind right away. I'm sure you probably wouldn't go preach in a synagogue or make a special trip to Mars Hill, but I think the general idea is that you do your thing wherever you are and wherever you need to be.

On the other hand, I don't think Jesus would have messed around with 7 or 8 years of post-graduate work and become a full-time academic, for example. But that wasn't Jesus' role, and we can't all be Jesus. We need academics, too, and for some people that's where God wants them. I don't think it would have been Jesus' thing, but again, we can't all be Jesus. He had His own thing to do, and His followers aren't necessarily supposed to have the exact same vocation as Him. God has different kinds of plans for different kinds of people, depending on what kind of person it is. And while I want to be more like Jesus, I can still accept the fact that I'm not exactly like Him and God has different kinds of things in store for me.

How would/could Jesus or one of his disciples convince anyone on the Net that they are the genuine article? We are all so anonymous "here"; anyone can claim to be whoever, and use the Net's phenomenal information "highway" to get instantaneous "credentials" to back up what they say. If someone got on the Net, even Jesus Christ, claiming the things that he claimed about himself, they'd "put him away"; they'd "laugh him to scorn", at the very least. The Net is a very unforgiving and skeptical place, after all.

Yes, but actions speak louder than words. Right now there's a young Egyptial Google executive, Wael Ghonim, who is changing the world, or at least his corner of it. He did it through Facebook by saying things that rang true and calling people to couragous, responsible action.

I think Jesus would let his teachings and actions do the proclaiming for him, and the internet is a magnificent medium for something like this because it can reach so many people in such a short time, relative to the old-fashioned way.

stYro

Archived