Seriously No Politics ×

GA statements on Book of Mormon geography, etc.

jmordecai

Anyone know of any good resources that have collected statements from GA's, from Joseph Smith forward as to Book of Mormon geography, people, cultures, etc.?

Thanks

John Sorenson's "The Geography of Book of Mormon Events: A Source Book" is pretty good, but I think that it is outdated and lacks information on some of the key statements that I consider key to understanding Joseph Smith's opinions.

Ed Goble

Anyone know of any good resources that have collected statements from GA's, from Joseph Smith forward as to Book of Mormon geography, people, cultures, etc.?

Thanks

When you study the quotes of the GA's I would advise to also read the entire talk to know the context on how that particular quote was used. Watch for accounts not written by a leader but later sometimes many years later written down by a 3rd hand account or worse. Realize that the church has no official statement on any of the locations of the BofM other than the old world (ie Jerusalem) and NY is where the plates where deposited and where Joseph retrieved them. No city or any battle place has ever been officially (or unofficially) endorsed by the church. Many GA's has offered only their opinions on where but we must remember that is what they are.

Mark E. Peterson (Council of the Twelve)

Typing in "Mesoamerica" on lds.org yields 16 hits. Some are duplicate hits on the same article. Sorenson's article is there as well as DCP's. There are a couple from the early 1970's including one by Hugh Nibley about ancient temples (Ohio corresponding to Mesoamerica).

Archived