"The Elements Are the Tabernacle of God"

consiglieri

D&C 93:35--The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple.

I was reading D&C 93 last night with my daughter for seminary, and this passage struck me.

I think there is a lot of meaning packed into that one phrase, and was wondering if others here would like to share their thoughts in order to try to unpack it.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

John Walton has an excellent article entitled "Creation in Genesis 1:1-2:3 and the Ancient Near East: Order Out of Disorder after Chaoskampf," Calvin Theological Journal 43 (2008). He points out that when God "rests" on the seventh day of creation, it is a reference to the temple because Deity rests in the temple. The temple represented the cosmos, the place from which the cosmos are directed. I happen to believe that this is what D&C 93 is getting at. A brief video of Walton can be found

At the core of God's being is the very same thing that is at the core of our being -- intelligent matter. But that matter has to interact with the physical environment, both to gather information and to act on it. We could postulate that the intelligent matter does it all and God has no need of a body but that's not how I tend to interpret our Mormonism. Our body and God's body is a functional and even necessary tool for effective interaction with the universe. Hence the elements (physical and spirit matter) become the tabernacle of God and our tabernacle as well.

And why two bodies? Spirit matter appears only to very weakly interact with physical matter (otherwise we'd see spirits all the time). If I only had a spirit body I would essentially be blind to half the universe. If I only had a physical body I would also essentially be blind to half the universe (much as we are currently in mortality). Thus, only when a being has both bodies is he capable of a full understanding of and involvement with the universe.

Anyway, that's my take for what little it's worth.

D&C 93:35--The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple.

I think it works on two levels: His personal body and in the idea that "all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator (Alma 30:44)."

I was reading D&C 93 last night with my daughter for seminary, and this passage struck me.

I think there is a lot of meaning packed into that one phrase, and was wondering if others here would like to share their thoughts in order to try to unpack it.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

fairly simple in my mind i;e... everything was made by him. therefore everything is his glory or temple... anybody spit on his work is in deep doodoo!.:P

I know this will seem "out there", but what I'm about to offer is truth none the less. In December of 1830, Joseph Smith brought forth what is called "the prophecy of Enoch". This account speaks of the prophet literally "hearing" the earth weep. Native Americans have a belief system of "hearing the earth" speak to them as well.

In our current state, we do not have a paradigm of belief for a living "sentient" (self aware) earth. While we can see a tree and know if it is living or dead, we do not afford it an awareness on a spiritual plain that is far beyond our ability to understand/comprehend/or appreciate. But Enoch did and many Native Americans live within this paradigm.

There is much more to consider and things we never before even had the idea to even consider. But the elements are no different than those in our own bodies. We are of the same elements of the earth having come "out of" our mother earth. Then too, the one thing which is always constant is the Spirit which brings life, the same Spirit within us that is in and through all things.

I understand this may not answer the question in the OP. My intent was to create more questions to consider than answer! :P

I know this will seem "out there", but what I'm about to offer is truth none the less. In December of 1830, Joseph Smith brought forth what is called "the prophecy of Enoch". This account speaks of the prophet literally "hearing" the earth weep. Native Americans have a belief system of "hearing the earth" speak to them as well.

In our current state, we do not have a paradigm of belief for a living "sentient" (self aware) earth. While we can see a tree and know if it is living or dead, we do not afford it an awareness on a spiritual plain that is far beyond our ability to understand/comprehend/or appreciate. But Enoch did and many Native Americans live within this paradigm.

There is much more to consider and things we never before even had the idea to even consider. But the elements are no different than those in our own bodies. We are of the same elements of the earth having come "out of" our mother earth. Then too, the one thing which is always constant is the Spirit which brings life, the same Spirit within us that is in and through all things.

I understand this may not answer the question in the OP. My intent was to create more questions to consider than answer! :P

Did you just watch Avatar?

Did you just watch Avatar?

That was not the question I thought my post would create! :P

We are simply not taught these things, nor do we even have a grid or paradigm to even consider them. Many years ago the Lord said he was sending me to the Native Americans so I may "learn there ways." Among these people I have seen miracles that have left me speechless. My testimony is that the scriptures are true when they say God is "in and through all things." And wherever God is there is life.

All of us are "elemental" and we are told that we are temples unto God. The question becomes if all elements are the same.

Archived