Seriously No Politics ×

What spiritual experiences are exclusive to LDS?

maupayman

Nope.

It's available on the internet - see what kind of understanding you get from it. I promise it will be "nothing". 90% of all anti Mormon literature is based on ridiculing the endowment- I don't think those folks quite "get it".

And just for the sake of correcting your ambiguous style:

The direct answer to the question is "none" because NO experiences are available "by means" of the gift of the HG. There is no reason to mention the HG if you were asking about what special experiences are available to MEMBERS.

"With" can be understood to mean "by means of"- like "I can see it with binoculars, but not without".

If you wanted to know what special experiences were available to MEMBERS that is another question.

If you want an answer, you have to ask the right question.

Well, most of the other posters seem to have understood my question. You're the only one straining with the symantics of, and completely misreading the OP.

I do not know of other religious leaders who have the same covenants with God that we do and under the authority of Christ. Sincerity does not equal authority.

In what way does the spirit manifest itself in mormonism, that it does not do in other sincere believing religions? Where is the evidence of this authority? If you guys have some special authority and are the only ones with the Gift of the Holy Ghost, surely that should be noticable.

Well, maupayman,

I guess the answer to your question is, yes, there is something uniquely experienced in Mormonism. Although there is no way to demonstrate it. You'll just have to take our word for it.

But the best way to find out is to come and see for yourself!

...blows dust of missionary hat and places on head...

...and then promptly rolls it up and places in back pocket...

But you do not experience the specific manifestations of the Holy Spirit of Promise as described in the scriptures I provided; these experiences are exclusive to LDS, which in addition are dependent upon receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, by the laying on of hands, by one having authority.

What specific manifestations? From your quote:

sealed up unto the day of redemption (D&C 124:124)

I do not know of other religious leaders who have the same covenants with God that we do and under the authority of Christ. Sincerity does not equal authority.

The operative phrase here is that you do not know of others. That does not mean that others do not exist (or that there are even some moving in a greater authority with Christ). This only means that for some, if they do not "see" others working in and through the authority of Christ then they do not believe they exist.

Surely we do not believe that any one denomination has an exclusive on the Everlasting Covenant or the New Covenant. Then too, when Jesus speaks of doing the works he did leading to greater works (John 14:12), he did not limit this to one denomination. In my opinion, we forget that the Lords great covenants and promises were made with the House of Israel (the twelve tribes) and one denomination does not consitute all the different tribes (or the promise of gathering would not be true with the resulting revelations on the topic)

Well, maupayman,

I guess the answer to your question is, yes, there is something uniquely experienced in Mormonism. Although there is no way to demonstrate it. You'll just have to take our word for it.

But the best way to find out is to come and see for yourself!

...blows dust of missionary hat and places on head...

...and then promptly rolls it up and places in back pocket...

I gave you a rep point for this one. It pretty much sums up every discussion I have had on this subject. Consig brought up this point a while back too:

Its amazing how vague and subjective the answers are on this subject. Like you said, take our word for it.

Well, can you support this in any way, other than your own declaration that it is so?

I cannot delve into the covenants we make in the temple. And spiritual manifestations are indeed subjective to the person involved, after all we learn line upon line precept upon precept at our own speeds. not by some objective standard. So it is difficult to make a comparison other than to know that certain gifts can manifest themselves in our lives to allow us to be more spiritual and closer to the Lord than might otherwise be available.

The operative phrase here is that you do not know of others. That does not mean that others do not exist (or that there are even some moving in a greater authority with Christ). This only means that for some, if they do not "see" others working in and through the authority of Christ then they do not believe they exist.

Surely we do not believe that any one denomination has an exclusive on the Everlasting Covenant or the New Covenant. Then too, when Jesus speaks of doing the works he did leading to greater works (John 14:12), he did not limit this to one denomination. In my opinion, we forget that the Lords great covenants and promises were made with the House of Israel (the twelve tribes) and one denomination does not consitute all the different tribes (or the promise of gathering would not be true with the resulting revelations on the topic)

The post answered made the base question one of "sincerity". I do not think Christ is a God of Chaos, we have one church and one way into the celestial kingdom. Others may have Christ like works, but our prophet has not told us others have God's authority. Plainly you believe that to be true, I have seen no evidence of it. As to limiting it to "one" denomination I refer you to. John 8:12 speaks of only one way, not many. No one other than the prophet and apostles have the keys of authority for this dispensation.

It is a Mormon perspective that I believe to be accurate.

I cannot delve into the covenants we make in the temple. And spiritual manifestations are indeed subjective to the person involved, after all we learn line upon line precept upon precept at our own speeds. not by some objective standard. So it is difficult to make a comparison other than to know that certain gifts can manifest themselves in our lives to allow us to be more spiritual and closer to the Lord than might otherwise be available.

I was trying to get into it earlier, but he ignored this point.

You can read what is on the internet about the temple all day long and have nothing like a temple experience. In fact that's what ani-Mormons do!

To me that is direct evidence that there is something exclusive which happens within those walls. The same words an anti-Mormon reads on the internet and scoffs at, are experienced entirely differently within the temple by spiritually mature members.

I have never known a temple worker who has not regretted having to give up his or her calling. There is something very real and tangible which cannot be reproduced outside the temple.

But you do not experience the specific manifestations of the Holy Spirit of Promise as described in the scriptures I provided; these experiences are exclusive to LDS, which in addition are dependent upon receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, by the laying on of hands, by one having authority.

There are undeniably manifestations of the Holy Spirit to all of God's children who will receive them, but not of the unique variety that I refer to as the ministering of the Holy Spirit of Promise.

In fact, you do not know and cannot tell another person what they experience or not.

As I said, I experience the indwelling of the Holy Spirit everyday, and I have eternal life, now. There is nothing that the LDS church offers or has authority over, that I don't have access to through Christ alone.

The post answered made the base question one of "sincerity". I do not think Christ is a God of Chaos, we have one church and one way into the celestial kingdom. Others may have Christ like works, but our prophet has not told us others have God's authority. Plainly you believe that to be true, I have seen no evidence of it. As to limiting it to "one" denomination I refer you to. John 8:12 speaks of only one way, not many. No one other than the prophet and apostles have the keys of authority for this dispensation.

It is a Mormon perspective that I believe to be accurate.

I completely agree that Christ is not a God of Chaos! Yet in my opinion, we error when we substitute a denomination for the living Jesus Christ. In the John (8:12) verse which was quoted, Jesus says "He is the light and whoever follows him will not walk in darkness." I understand and acknowledge that some may view their respective denomination as "Jesus", but for me this is a mistake. The church is not Jesus, rather the church is to point people to our Eternal Christ.

I also disagree that "our prophet" has not told us that others have God's authority, because Joseph Smith did. Mormon 4:84-88 (rlds), D&C (83:11/LDS 84) and Mark (16:15) speaks that whoever believes has great authority to bring forth many profound miracles and acts of ministry. So in my opinion, Joseph Smith did bring forth revelation to the contrary of many current beliefs.

While I acknowledge that some LDS believe they have an exclusive on spiritual authority, in my opinion the day will come when they must face many "not of their fold" who are doing greater works.

In fact, you do not know and cannot tell another person what they experience or not.

As I said, I experience the indwelling of the Holy Spirit everyday, and I have eternal life, now. There is nothing that the LDS church offers or has authority over, that I don't have access to through Christ alone.

Good for you. I currently have a the indwelling of the HS everyday all day too (As all LDS do). So why are you here again?

I do know that the LDS experience is unique, and if someone doesn

I completely agree that Christ is not a God of Chaos! Yet in my opinion, we error when we substitute a denomination for the living Jesus Christ. In the John (8:12) verse which was quoted, Jesus says "He is the light and whoever follows him will not walk in darkness." I understand and acknowledge that some may view their respective denomination as "Jesus", but for me this is a mistake. The church is not Jesus, rather the church is to point people to our Eternal Christ.

I also disagree that "our prophet" has not told us that others have God's authority, because Joseph Smith did. Mormon 4:84-88 (rlds), D&C (83:11/LDS 84) and Mark (16:15) speaks that whoever believes has great authority to bring forth many profound miracles and acts of ministry. So in my opinion, Joseph Smith did bring forth revelation to the contrary of many current beliefs.

While I acknowledge that some LDS believe they have an exclusive on spiritual authority, in my opinion the day will come when they must face many "not of their fold" who are doing greater works.

You should learn to read context before you quote scripture.

Note Doctrine and Covenants 1:30

30And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have apower to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well epleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually

As I said, this is a subjective topic, neither is right or wrong, both are experiences. The determining factor (in my opinion) is truth. And for the LDS truth is determined subjectively (based on a testimony). For evangelical Christians truth is both subjective and objectively determined.

Hughes... everything in life is subjective. It's all interpreted by your brain in one way or another. There is no such thing as 'objective', indeed, there is only what appears to be 'objective'.

We live our lives to what makes sense, but what makes one thing that makes sense over another is not a matter of one being more correct than another - it's a matter of what we think makes more sense. Thus everything is subjective.

What specific manifestations?

There are no specific manifestation here, this is all vague promises about what will happen after this life.

Here, at least it says that they have recieved of his fulness. Is that specific? No. Again, promises about the next life.

Then please describe how this unique ministering of the holy spirit manifests to you. Let the evangelical guy verify if he does not have access to this type of manifestation.

In D&C 124:124 the manifestation is in the ordinance of

So in short, all religions are unique and thus have their own exclusive spiritual experiences? Not exactly an earth-shattering conclusion.

Having been raised in the LDS faith, studied at a "mainstream christian" university, practiced buddhism and now being an atheist, I can tell you that they all bring forth unique exeriences exclusive to each faith. It does not make one more true than the other.

As I've said earlier, truth is a matter of perception. The same is true of spiritual experience. One man's miracle is another man's coincidence.

Yes, all religions are unique and thus have their own exclusive spiritual experiences, and this is not earth-shattering; neither is that some religions allow more truth than others.

Archived