Seriously No Politics ×

What spiritual experiences are exclusive to LDS?

maupayman

I had started a thread about a similar topic, but it appears to have been removed during the switch to the new domain name etc. I have been discussing this subject with LDS for years, but have never been shown an official answer. The answers are usually anecdotal evidence, vague, or that it is different for everyone.

The question is straightforward: Given the LDS claim, of exclusive access to the Gift of the Holy Ghost, what experiences, feelings, abilities etc are only available to LDS members with the Gift of the Holy Ghost?

Many people, such as Hamba Tuhan and mercyandgrace shared very special experiences, for which I thank them, and I do not seek to claim that these experiences were fraudulent, or meaningless. My point is that similar things happen to people of all beliefs, including irreligous people. So, if LDS do have access to something unique, what is it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I had started a thread about a similar topic, but it appears to have been removed during the switch to the new domain name etc. I have been discussing this subject with LDS for years, but have never been shown an official answer. The answers are usually anecdotal evidence, vague, or that it is different for everyone.

The question is straightforward: Given the LDS claim, of exclusive access to the Gift of the Holy Ghost, what experiences, feelings, abilities etc are only available to LDS members with the Gift of the Holy Ghost?

Many people, such as Hamba Tuhan and mercyandgrace shared very special experiences, for which I thank them, and I do not seek to claim that these experiences were fraudulent, or meaningless. My point is that similar things happen to people of all beliefs, including irreligous people. So, if LDS do have access to something unique, what is it?

Well number one non refutable confirmation would be the temple experiance.. how can others know that experiance?..:P

I guess my first question would be, what do you define as something that is dependant upon the "Gift of the Holy Ghost".

There are many gifts of the spirit which are listed in both the Book of Mormon and in the Bible. However, there are many of them that are completely misunderstood or have had their meaning corrupted by devious men.

For example :P , I know one of those "rastafaranian Jesus types" who goes off "speaking gibberish" while smoking weed/Ganja. Of course, she claims she is "speaking in tongues", but she is the only person who can translate the gibberish. I would submit this as an example of the corruption or misunderstanding of what once was understood to be a spiritual gift.

What is unique is that we actually believe such experiences are "true" and to be acted upon.

Nobody has asserted that such experiences are exclusively LDS- were that so, converts would never "know" the church was true.

I guess my first question would be, what do you define as something that is dependant upon the "Gift of the Holy Ghost".

I think that was basically my question, in the OP.

There are many gifts of the spirit which are listed in both the Book of Mormon and in the Bible. However, there are many of them that are completely misunderstood or have had their meaning corrupted by devious men.

For example :P , I know one of those "rastafaranian Jesus types" who goes off "speaking gibberish" while smoking weed/Ganja. Of course, she claims she is "speaking in tongues", but she is the only person who can translate the gibberish. I would submit this as an example of the corruption or misunderstanding of what once was understood to be a spiritual gift.

This is an interesting point, especially given that early LDS leaders appeared to believe this was how speaking in tongues was done. What is the correct understanding of the speaking in tongues? Where are you getting this interpretation from? Do you not think that other people can experience something like this?

What is unique is that we actually believe such experiences are "true" and to be acted upon.

Nobody has asserted that such experiences are exclusively LDS- were that so, converts would never "know" the church was true.

According to LDS, non-LDS cannot have the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I'm talking about the ordinance after baptism here. What is unique to those who obtain the Gift of the Holy Ghost, not feel the power of the HG.

What part of the temple experience would be unique to LDS? I think you misunderstood my point.

i made the statement for the cause of simplicity; as it is the number one spiritual confirmation no others can experiance;

now, for the sake of clarity, i would say that all man is given spiritual guidance at times when the lord deems it nessacery;

If we are trying to figure how {worthy} l.d.s members; claim to have "extra" companionship than others; all i can say is that i have lived this myself over the course of many years and probably thousands of instances; {on both sides of the fence by the way}...i know many others not of our faith whom worship regularly; do follow the {ten} commandments.. try to be good christians; and its very obvious it makes a huge differance in their countenance; the lord does bless them with many spiritual gifts.. having said that;; when we see,compare, and experiance for ourselves the blessings, the workings of the spirit, the real power of the preisthood in action between non members and {worthy} l.d.s families, their countenances, their happiness levels, their peace, and comfort, their acceptances of each others, misstakes made. sins commited, tempers lost or controlled. love shown, and overall pure confidence, security of "knowing" loving, and happiness... worthy l.d.s members, it simply cant be denied really do enjoy much much more of the spiritual protection and guidance that brings "TRUE" happiness in every manner of all things. it simply canott be {truthfully} denied.:P

For example :P , I know one of those "rastafaranian Jesus types" who goes off "speaking gibberish" while smoking weed/Ganja. Of course, she claims she is "speaking in tongues", but she is the only person who can translate the gibberish. I would submit this as an example of the corruption or misunderstanding of what once was understood to be a spiritual gift

I think that was basically my question, in the OP.

This is an interesting point, especially given that early LDS leaders appeared to believe this was how speaking in tongues was done. What is the correct understanding of the speaking in tongues? Where are you getting this interpretation from? Do you not think that other people can experience something like this?

As I understand it, and I will have to look up the reference for it, for it to be truely speaking in tongues, it cannot be the same person speaking, and doing the translating.

1 Cor. 14:28

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep asilence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The Gift of Tongues (D&C 46:24)

Sometimes it is necessary to communicate the gospel in a language that is unfamiliar to us. When this happens, the Lord can bless us with the ability to speak that language. Many missionaries have received the gift of tongues (see the picture in this chapter). For example, Elder Alonzo A. Hinckley was a missionary in Holland who understood and spoke very little Dutch even though he had prayed and studied hard. When he returned to a home he had visited before, a lady opened the door and spoke to him very angrily in Dutch. To his amazement he could understand every word. He felt a strong desire to bear his testimony to her in Dutch. He began to speak, and the words came out very clearly in Dutch. But when he returned to show his mission president that he could speak Dutch, the ability had left him. Many faithful members have been blessed with the gift of tongues. (See Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, comp. Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., 5 vols. [1957

According to LDS, non-LDS cannot have the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I'm talking about the ordinance after baptism here. What is unique to those who obtain the Gift of the Holy Ghost, not feel the power of the HG.

Not so at all.

What is said will not occur is that the person will not have the right to continuous inspiration (based on worthiness) of the Holy Ghost.

What Is the Gift of the Holy Ghost?

The gift of the Holy Ghost is the privilege, given to people who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ, been baptized, and been confirmed as members of the Church, to receive guidance and inspiration from the Holy Ghost.

Joseph Smith said we believe in the gift of the Holy Ghost being enjoyed now as much as it was enjoyed in the days of the first Apostles. We believe in this gift in all its fullness, power, greatness, and glory. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 243.)

A person may be temporarily guided by the Holy Ghost without receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. However, this guidance will not be continuous unless the person is baptized and receives the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. We read in Acts 10 that the Roman soldier Cornelius received inspiration from the Holy Ghost so that he knew the gospel of Jesus Christ was true. But Cornelius did not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that if Cornelius had not received baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost would have left him (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 199).

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,11-1-13-29,00.html

Gifts of the spirit cannot, if I recall correctly, exist without recieving the Holy Ghost, so one can be blessed momentarily, but one cannot, in any sense of the word, be blessed spiritually to develop those talents without the gift of the Holy Ghost. So the experience may not be unique (in that all gifts may be momentarily manifested), but the uniqueness is in our ability to develop and call upon those gifts as we do physical skills which we develop in our mortality.

i made the statement for the cause of simplicity; as it is the number one spiritual confirmation no others can experiance;

now, for the sake of clarity, i would say that all man is given spiritual guidance at times when the lord deems it nessacery;

If we are trying to figure how {worthy} l.d.s members; claim to have "extra" companionship than others; all i can say is that i have lived this myself over the course of many years and probably thousands of instances; {on both sides of the fence by the way}...i know many others not of our faith whom worship regularly; do follow the {ten} commandments.. try to be good christians; and its very obvious it makes a huge differance in their countenance; the lord does bless them with many spiritual gifts.. having said that;; when we see,compare, and experiance for ourselves the blessings, the workings of the spirit, the real power of the preisthood in action between non members and {worthy} l.d.s families, their countenances, their happiness levels, their peace, and comfort, their acceptances of each others, misstakes made. sins commited, tempers lost or controlled. love shown, and overall pure confidence, security of "knowing" loving, and happiness... worthy l.d.s members, it simply cant be denied really do enjoy much much more of the spiritual protection and guidance that brings "TRUE" happiness in every manner of all things. it simply canott be {truthfully} denied.;)

So, you are saying that LDS have more true happiness in their lives than believers in other faiths etc. This seems like a very subjective and vague answer, as per my OP. I appreciate your attempt, but this really doesn't clarify much. By the way, that was probably the most confusing post I have ever read, especially the punctuation. :P

There are no spiritual experiences exclusive to members of the LDS Church. Anyone can see angels, speak in tongues, receive inspiration, etc.

There are some specific gifts, authority, and covenants exclusive to the LDS, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost is one of them.

Gifts of the spirit cannot, if I recall correctly, exist without recieving the Holy Ghost, so one can be blessed momentarily, but one cannot, in any sense of the word, be blessed spiritually to develop those talents without the gift of the Holy Ghost. So the experience may not be unique (in that all gifts may be momentarily manifested), but the uniqueness is in our ability to develop and call upon those gifts as we do physical skills which we develop in our mortality.

Thanks Jeff, can you give me an example of someone having the "ability to develop and call upon those gifts as we do physical skills which we develop in our mortality."

There are no spiritual experiences exclusive to members of the LDS Church. Anyone can see angels, speak in tongues, receive inspiration, etc.

There are some specific gifts, authority, and covenants exclusive to the LDS, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost is one of them.

What specific gifts are exclusive to LDS? If the reception of the Gift of the Holy Ghost manifests nothing unique, what is the point?

What specific gifts are exclusive to LDS? If the reception of the Gift of the Holy Ghost manifests nothing unique, what is the point?

Many gifts are exclusive - entrance to the Celestial Kingdom most prominantly (since you must be baptized and have a temple marriage to enter all the inhabitants are technically LDS, even if they were not during their mortality).

Having the promise that you can rely on spiritual experiences, and knowing they will be there when you need them is the point.

This all seems to be referring to things after this life, I am talking about experiences, gifts, etc. in this life.

It's all one life, really, and the Holy Spirit of Promise can be experienced in mortality by those who have the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I don't think anyone other than LDS would lay claim to experiencing such a thing.

I don't think this is necessarily true.

Luke 9

Thanks Jeff, can you give me an example of someone having the "ability to develop and call upon those gifts as we do physical skills which we develop in our mortality."

It is certainly more difficult to develop such gifts spiritually than physically. But I can give you my own experience on the matter. Prayer and righteousness help us develop the gift along with its use, but only as we attempt to use it according to the will of God. I knew a man who had the gift for healing, and whenever called upon as a hometeacher or as a quorum leader he would, if he had time, fast and pray to understand the blessing which the Lord has prepared for the other member. Could I count the number of times he was successful? Not really, but I do know the comforter often manifested Himself during the prayer and not only the person receiving the blessing, but all felt the joy of the gospel. I saw one blessing that was especially touching. The woman asked to be healed and said she had faith, he had fasted the day prior and that day took the day off because he really wanted the woman healed. When he placed his hands on her head and sealed the annointing, ready to give the blessing of life, I suddenly felt and saw him deflate. He blessed her that she would be comforted and that her remaining time upon the earth would be a blessing to all that knew her and that the pain would not last very long. Both of them were shaken by the experience (and frankly so was I). He apologized and said that was all he felt he could say, she herself was resigned to it. She called her family in and shared her love and testimony over the next several days, made amends in some cases, and forgave others. Roughly a month later she was dead, the doctors were suprised at her ability to keep the pain at bay.

That man had the gift of communication with God, and the gift to know Gods will, and the gift to heal. These gifts he developed as he exercised the priesthood and was of service to others. He was a spiritual man with deep insight and honesty and humility.

Repentance, prayer, and pondering over the scriptures are essential parts of our qualifying for the gifts of the Spirit in our priesthood service. Further magnification of our power to serve will come as we respond with faith to go forward in our callings with the Holy Ghost to help us.

Eyring

Archived