Seriously No Politics ×

Other gods

semlogo

I tend to lean toward the former, but I've never been able to come to a firm conclusion on this one. What do you think?

By other gods I mean the various Hindu deities, as well as Greek, Norse and aboriginal gods, etc.

I think this is a false dichotomy. There are more choices than the two you offer.

Good point. Some could be a manifestation of God, others fictional, and some a little of both, yes?

That seems logical.

On the one hand, we know that God works in mysterious ways. On the other, we know that (to paraphrase Freud) "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Some may be natural phenomenon, some an incredibly fortuitous "roll of the die" and some may purely hallucinatory in nature.

Not every "supernatural" manifestation is necessarily real, nor necessarily of God.

I would also be leery of the tendency to impute every "miracle", every instance of inspiration, or every spiritual experience to God, as we know that "not all roads lead to Rome."

I tend to lean toward the former, but I've never been able to come to a firm conclusion on this one. What do you think?

By other gods I mean the various Hindu deities, as well as Greek, Norse and aboriginal gods, etc.

I believe that some of the deities may well represent decayed memories of the God of Israel.

Others may represent long-dead hero-kings or other important mortals who got to feeling just a little bit too important.

I have long been intrigued by the fact that many of the gods of the ancient world got to where they were by overthrowing/killing and even dismembering an earlier deity; I suspect that in those cases, the overthrown god represents the true God, and the usurpers were priests or kings who consciously rebelled against Him and substituted their own rites of worship for His. The dismembering motif might represent the parcelling out of His divine attributes among the self-appointed replacements (like a gang dividing the spoils of a robbery) as well as a degree of "overkill" to compensate for a feeling of insecurity; after He's been chopped to bits, He can't possibly come back and put us all in our place, could He?

Regards,

Pahoran

Is satan a god of this world, and make him a true god?

satan and the anti Christ is a decieving god, do you know that?

the bible does say test the spirit if it is true!

one love

Is satan a god of this world, and make him a true god?

satan and the anti Christ is a decieving god, do you know that?

the bible does say test the spirit if it is true!

one love

Read the board guidelines. You are preaching. Knock it off. This is your last warning.

Nemesis

As many have already stated I think there is a lot to consider.

IIRC; there was a recent paper detailing that national deities were considered to be real and authoritative in their respective countries and people, however the righteous of Israel were to be only concerned with and worship the Lord their God (I just don't trust my memory to be more explicit than that).

As for my personal view on the subject I see multiple possibilities we may concern ourselves with:

1. God has manifested himself to diverse people at different times to give them light and knowledge that is greater than what they had before, and to eventually lead them and prepare them to come unto Christ.
  2. There are a multitude of Gods each in 'charge' of a respective people and will eventually put under dominion of the Lord of Lords
  3. There is hallucinatory implications of events and/or issues with supernatural implications
  4. Natural occurrences are prescribed to supernatural beings and/or supernatural events
  5. Historical implications into modern-day events tied by supernatural injection (spirits of fallen Hero's giving direction)

And probably a plethora of others that elude me.

My personal leaning is that of 1 and 2. I base this off of the biblically documented Baal issues. Note that throughout the entire exchange between the Prophets and Baal never state implicitly or infer that Baal is non-existent but that Baal has no sway over the children of Israel.

I don't like the word gods for them since they aren't nearly the equals of HF, HM, Jesus and the HG. However; I think most of them are existing entities who can be ethically interacted with for mutual benefit. My own life has been enriched by the influence of Bridghid, Ogma, Gwidion ap Don and others. As far as their origins; I can't decide if they are the spirits of natural forces and non-humans, ascended post-mortal humans (similar to how I understand the Catholic concept of Saints), or if they come into existence because of bardcraft, because their myths are told and lived until they become real. (Some think Dalon ap Landu, the RDNA god of the groves came into being this way since there was no god by this name prior to the organization of the RDNA, and yet people keep running into him since.)

Yours under the non-dogmatic, monarchial oaks,

Nathair /|\

I don't like the word gods for them since they aren't nearly the equals of HF, HM, Jesus and the HG. However; I think most of them are existing entities who can be ethically interacted with for mutual benefit. My own life has been enriched by the influence of Bridghid, Ogma, Gwidion ap Don and others. As far as their origins; I can't decide if they are the spirits of natural forces and non-humans, ascended post-mortal humans (similar to how I understand the Catholic concept of Saints), or if they come into existence because of bardcraft, because their myths are told and lived until they become real. (Some think Dalon ap Landu, the RDNA god of the groves came into being this way since there was no god by this name prior to the organization of the RDNA, and yet people keep running into him since.)

Yours under the non-dogmatic, monarchial oaks,

Nathair /|\

Some of your abbreviations need explanation RDNA for example. Would you mind making a thread about your views and their relation to the 'nominal' LDS belief? This seems like a fascinating subject.

Some of your abbreviations need explanation RDNA for example. Would you mind making a thread about your views and their relation to the 'nominal' LDS belief? This seems like a fascinating subject.

RDNA stands for the Reformed Druids of North America. What else did you want to know?

That was the major one, but I would be interested in learning more about your beliefs in another thread if you're agreeable.

I'm happy to share, I really haven't worked it out all that much. It's much less important to me than the gospel. If you PM me some questions, I will start a new thread on them for you.

I'm happy to share, I really haven't worked it out all that much. It's much less important to me than the gospel. If you PM me some questions, I will start a new thread on them for you.

Ah, I see. I guess I'll hold off then 'cause I wouldn't even know where to begin a discussion on your beliefs. It just seemed interesting to me; so if you ever do have an inclination to start up a discussion about it I'll be happy to read and ask questions (and if I ever find some footing for understanding I may try to start one).

I think this is a false dichotomy. There are more choices than the two you offer.

I take the first two of the ten commandments to be evidence, the first one specifically, of other real and divine Gods. What's the point of having two commandments directed at idol gods?

Archived