Seriously No Politics ×

First vision...first actual documentable written

Guest Just Curious

Guest Just Curious

I have read of the different versions of the first vision and have a lot of confusing dates. One says the first documentable written account is 1842. Another site says there are versions starting in about 1830. Can anyone tell me (scholarly of course, non-confrontational) of the first documentable written account of the first vision. Please cite your source as well so I can read up on this. I am not trying to start a fight about the first vision so you paranoids don't hastle me

According to Grampa bill's General Authority Page Elder Orson Pratt wrote the first version of it in 1840. However Joseph Smith apparently wrote it down in an 1832 journal. I would consult Dean Jessee on this. I have emailed a few times and he has been very nice in some questions I had. Hey maybe you can get some free articles out of him! I know he wrote several articles about the recording of the vision in the late 60's and seventies in BYU Studies, which you can buy for a buck a piece or try to get it from him but if not...

Guest Just Curious

Thank you for the link psuedo..that answered a lot of my questions....it appears the first documentable print of it was 1842 but may have been talked about as early as 1832...is that your understanding?

Guest yowzaa

How many of you have SEEN the latest recorded version of JS's First Vision?

I am talking about the new fallacious DVD labeled "The Restoration", which came with the October Ensign.

GBH has left out just about most of the JSH about this event, the event that the veracity of Mormonism hinges on.

Where is the dark overcoming spirit, what happened to Jesus' talk calling ALL OTHER religious sects wrong and abominable? what happened to Moroni? no breastplate or Urim-Thummin?, what about the seer stone in the hat? Where is Emma? Where is all of these things that are in the canonized JSH?

I'll tell you, in the closet of GBH's office. Hidden for being to "weird".

Why did his scribe get to see the plates in PLAIN view?

Gather 'round children, gather round the TV, you all are witnessing history, in flux.

Quick, Dr. Shades, What number is this version? 13?

I don;t yet have teh DVD yet but I will offer a response to Dr. Shades. I think if the Church is doing a general history of the restoration not a detailed day by day chronicle of evrything that happened. In that case it would be called, "A Complete unbiased view of every single day, minute that Joseph Smith and everyone who knew him lived, In a hour". No its called the restoration, and evil spirits and Joseph Smith telling different aspects of the Vision to different people does not need to be mentioned. I think they are trying to cover a lot of ground and can't deal with those things, all they are concerned with is that the first viosn happened and then they wpuld move on to something else important in the restoration. my two cents.

Archived