Seriously No Politics ×

The Prophet, the High Priest, and the President of the Church

Tribunal

I remember reading somewhere, not sure if it was on this board or another site, about Joseph Smith dividing the Church and calling a Prophet, a High Priest, and a President. Not sure which one Joseph Smith was going to be but I think I remember reading that he died months after going public with the plan. Does anyone know more about this?

That was an interesting thesis but not what I'm looking for. Prior to the death of Joseph Smith he was about to establish the Kingdom of God, the Church of God, and I believe the Temples of God. He was going to call a Prophet, a High Priest, and a President to preside over the three. And Joseph Smith was going to become either the Prophet, the High Priest, or the President. I don't remember which.

I'm looking for information on this subject.

That was an interesting thesis but not what I'm looking for. Prior to the death of Joseph Smith he was about to establish the Kingdom of God, the Church of God, and I believe the Temples of God. He was going to call a Prophet, a High Priest, and a President to preside over the three. And Joseph Smith was going to become either the Prophet, the High Priest, or the President. I don't remember which.

As I recall, and I'm not interested enough to look it up, Joseph was about to make Hyrum the President of the Church (he was co-president in 1844) and let him have control over the mechanics of running the Church while he, Joseph, took care of the more sacred things, translations, revelations, etc.

Much of the above is my interpretation of what I read so long ago, but I am somewhat confident of the opinion.

Lehi

As I recall, and I'm not interested enough to look it up, Joseph was about to make Hyrum the President of the Church (he was co-president in 1844) and let him have control over the mechanics of running the Church while he, Joseph, took care of the more sacred things, translations, revelations, etc.

Much of the above is my interpretation of what I read so long ago, but I am somewhat confident of the opinion.

Lehi

From what I've read it's difficult to ascertain what Joseph was up to. But he did mention making Hyrum Prophet. But it seemed he was trying to get the point that Prophet, Priest and King are rungs that we become prophets, then we become priests, and then kings. I've always associated it with the Endowment to some degree.

From what I've read it's difficult to ascertain what Joseph was up to. But he did mention making Hyrum Prophet. But it seemed he was trying to get the point that Prophet, Priest and King are rungs that we become prophets, then we become priests, and then kings. I've always associated it with the Endowment to some degree.

Understood. But what I'm talking about is prior to Smith's death he had plans of totally dividing the Church into three organizations. There would be the Church (with the Quorum of the Twelve), the Kingdom (with the Council of Fifty), and the Temples. And there would be a presiding authority over each. I'm looking for information on this topic.

Archived