Seriously No Politics ×

3 ways DNA evidence fits with the BOM

dougtheavenger

There are at least 3 theories that can reconcile current DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon.

1. The M3 mutation is 10K years old (Kemp 2008). However, all M3 Y lineages became extinct except one that originates with a man who lived about 2160 years ago (Underhill 1996). This man had resistance to European diseases inherited from a Near Eastern ancestor related to him via his maternal grandfather. His descendants inherited this resistence and thus survived the European colonization of America while 90% of Native Americans died of Old World diseases.

2. The M3 mutation is only about 2160 years old (Underhill 1996) and originated in the lineage of pre-Columbian Israelite settlers. The work of Brian Kemp in relation to On Your Knees Cave Man is the result of DNA decay mimicing the M3 mutation.

3. The many Native Americans who report no post-Columbian ancestry but have Y-chromosomes belonging to the R, J, G, and I haplogroups (Zegura 2004) are not mistaken about their pre-Columbian origins, but are descendants of pre-Columbian settlers from the Near East. Specifically they are descended from Israelite and Phoenician settlers who came to America as the Book of Mormon indicates.

There are at least 3 theories that can reconcile current DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon.

1. The M3 mutation is 10K years old (Kemp 2008). However, all M3 Y lineages became extinct except one that originates with a man who lived about 2160 years ago (Underhill 1996). This man had resistance to European diseases inherited from a Near Eastern ancestor related to him via his maternal grandfather. His descendants inherited this resistence and thus survived the European colonization of America while other 90% of Native Americans died of Old World diseases.

2. The M3 mutation is only about 2160 years old (Underhill 1996) and originated in the lineage of pre-Columbian Israelite settlers. The work of Brian Kemp in relation to On Your Knees Cave Man is the result of DNA decay mimicing the M3 mutation.

3. The many Native Americans who report no post-Columbian ancestry but have Y-chromosomes belonging to the R, J, G, and I haplogroups (Zegura 2004) are not mistaken about their pre-Columbian origins, but are descendants of pre-Columbian settlers from the Near East. Specifically they are descended from Israelite and Phoenician settlers who came to America as the Book of Mormon indicates.

At risk of being accused of being in the Meldrum camp, how would you explain haplogroup x? I only ask because you have chosen a specific mutation which you claim to be 2160 years old. I despise Meldrum's theories, but even more so I am opposed to any theory which claims that descendants of Adam and Eve lived alongside hominids of evolution. So I ask, did your M3 people come from Adam and Eve while those of haplogroup x did not?

At risk of being accused of being in the Meldrum camp, how would you explain haplogroup x? I only ask because you have chosen a specific mutation which you claim to be 2160 years old. I despise Meldrum's theories, but even more so I am opposed to any theory which claims that descendants of Adam and Eve lived alongside hominids of evolution. So I ask, did your M3 people come from Adam and Eve while those of haplogroup x did not?

All human beings are descended from Adam and Eve.

I am not particulary concerned about reconciling timelines between science and the Bible at this time. For the moment, I accept mainstream scientific timelines (with a grain of salt).

I'm also not greatly interested in MtDNA as far as Lehi's descendants are concerned because Y-chromosomes have a much greater capacity for expansion. Consider that there are 200 million people in the Western Hemisphere with pre-Columbian MtdNA and 75% of them have post-Columbian, European paternal ancestry. I think evidence of pre-Columbian Near Eastern incursion into America will be found in Y-chromosomes, not MtDNA.

All human beings are descended from Adam and Eve.

I am not particulary concerned about reconciling timelines between science and the Bible at this time. For the moment, I accept mainstream scientific timelines (with a grain of salt).

I'm also not greatly interested in MtDNA as far as Lehi's descendants are concerned because Y-chromosomes have a much greater capacity for expansion. Consider that there are 200 million people in the Western Hemisphere with pre-Columbian MtdNA and 75% of them have post-Columbian, European paternal ancestry. I think evidence of pre-Columbian Near Eastern incursion into America will be found in Y-chromosomes, not MtDNA.

"So I ask, did your M3 people come from Adam and Eve while those of haplogroup x did not?"

You have not answered my question. You have only stated that human beings are descended from Adam and Eve. You have not specified if those of haplogroup x are human.

Consider the words of George Washington in a letter to James Duane, September 7, 1783. "...the savage, as the wolf...both being beasts...though they differ in shape."

Or,

The First Presidency official statement "The Origin of Man", 1909. Adam was

Your comment: "His descendants inherited this resistence and thus survived the European colonization of America while other 90% of Native Americans died of Old World diseases."

The above is offensive. It implies that a special people from Bible and Book of Mormon time periods (no doubt from Adam and Eve) were able to survive diseases while "others" died off.

The ancestors of living American Indians had resistence to European diseases not shared by most pre-Columbian Americans. I don't just imply it. I assert it. You are free to disagree, but you will find noone to agree with you among mainstream scientists.

"So I ask, did your M3 people come from Adam and Eve while those of haplogroup x did not?"

You have not answered my question. You have only stated that human beings are descended from Adam and Eve. You have not specified if those of haplogroup x are human.

I think any reasonable person would conclude that I answered your question. Just be thorough, I will answer it again.

All human beings including all MtDNA haplogroups; ie, X, H, L, U, etc, etc and all Y-chromosome haplogroups A - Q and any new HGs defined since are descended from Adam and Eve.

Your comment: "His descendants inherited this resistence and thus survived the European colonization of America while other 90% of Native Americans died of Old World diseases."

The above is offensive. It implies that a special people from Bible and Book of Mormon time periods (no doubt from Adam and Eve) were able to survive diseases while "others" died off.

What is offensive about resistence to diseases? People who have the genes for sickle cell anemia are more resistant to malaria. Is that offensive? And you are the one who used the word "special" as if special meant better than. My father survived the Spanish flu when his little playmate from next door died of it. That didn't mean my dad was better than that other little boy. Just more resistant to the ravages of the disease.

Why is there no historical proof of the history of mormons in america??

one love

:P;):crazy::fool::)

I nominate this as the Stupidest Post of the Day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived