Seriously No Politics ×

Is Baptism a necessary part of salvation according to the Bible?

Bill “Papa” Lee

Mola,

You wrote, in response to my question for Elf of a book of the Bible that he does not accept:

Ah, an informed participant in the discussion.

Ha, I guess I am informed.

Mola, isn't it a bit odd that the LDS Church teaches that the problem with the Bible is that it is missing a bunch of books, but instead of finding and adding some of those supposedly lost books back to the Bible, they actually have taken one out?

Well the LDS church, as far as I know still have not removed the SoS from the bible we use.

I will offer a candid response to your question as to "finding" and adding books for the bible. From an LDS stand point there is no point in finding these lost books as we have modern prophets that have revealed some of that lost truth.

Rob,

I must confess that I am a little troubled by treatment that you have recieved in the past few months. I am glad you keep posting.

Just as I suspected, it wasn't an honest inquiry it was just another laying of a trap.

Were is a picture of Admiral Akbar when you need one.

"It's a trap."

I believe in getting baptized. Every believer should get baptized if possible.

From my study of the scriptures, the one and only thing that keeps one from getting to the Kingdom of God is UNbelief.

It is what man will ultimately be judged for/by.

If one believes in Jesus he will not be judged for sin. Jesus already took that judgement.

If one does NOT believe then they will be judged by their life/works

They will have to pay the price they cannot pay.

The deal breaker is belief. Or lack thereof

Mar 16:16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Jhn 3:18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

I believe in getting baptized. Every believer should get baptized if possible.

From my study of the scriptures, the one and only thing that keeps one from getting to the Kingdom of God is UNbelief.

It is what man will ultimately be judged for/by.

If one believes in Jesus he will not be judged for sin. Jesus already took that judgement.

If one does NOT believe then they will be judged by their life/works

They will have to pay the price they cannot pay.

The deal breaker is belief. Or lack thereof

Mar 16:16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Jhn 3:18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

While I agree that beleif / faith is very important... I whole heartedly disagree that belief has much of anything to do with how we are judged.

Romans 2

1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Our deeds more than anything else determines what our Jugdment will be. So in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that really matters is what we Do with what we have been given.

If the Bible were inerrant we would have ALL already come to a unity in the Faith along time ago. (But thats a subject of another thread)

Inerrancy of the Bible text is a moot issue...... until we have *inerrancy of interpretation* of the Bible.

While I agree that beleif / faith is very important... I whole heartedly disagree that belief has much of anything to do with how we are judged.

Romans 2

1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Our deeds more than anything else determines what our Jugdment will be. So in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that really matters is what we Do with what we have been given.

Then you are going by self righteousness and you don't need grace!

We are human beings not human doers, unless you want to go back to the OT covenant and start doing animal sacrafices and obey every single law and be under legalism and manipulations!

one love

We are human beings not human doers, unless you want to go back to the OT covenant and start doing animal sacrafices and obey every single law and be under legalism and manipulations!

one love

With all due respect, you don't understand at all what Zak is actually saying.

one love

Is that why Paul outlines the same standard of Judgement under the New Covenant as for the OT covenant?

Romans 14

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord

Is that why Paul outlines the same standard of Judgement under the New Covenant as for the OT covenant?

Romans 14

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord

Rewards will be given here. Not salvation. Salvation was already judged for believers on the Cross

This sounds like Mormonism, except in the details. Can you tell us what rewards are given here at the jjudgement, above and beyond salvation.

For us, the reward is to live for eternity in one of three kingdoms, in the presence of the Holy Ghost, or with the Son, or with the Father.

Again, what rewards do you envision beyond salvation.

Inerrancy of the Bible text is a moot issue...... until we have *inerrancy of interpretation* of the Bible.

You cam't find the truth until you get spiritually lead instead of churchy lead or man mde spoon feed!

1Co:2:5: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

1Co:2:6: Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

1Co:2:7: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

1Co:2:8: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

1Co:2:9: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

1Co:2:10: But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

one love

Charles,

You wrote:

This is utterly illogical.

What God says, I assume we agree, is inerrant. Yet whatever God says and however he says it, our interpretation of what God says will not be inerrant. This is the case whether we are talking about the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, Thomas Monson, what the Spirit reveals to you, or whatever. If we can affirm the inerrancy of what God says while admitting the errancy of our interpretation of what God says, then we can affirm the inerrancy of the Bible while admitting the errancy of our interpretation of the Bible. The only question is whether it is correct to say that what God says is to be found in the Bible.

Charles,

You wrote:

This is utterly illogical.

What God says, I assume we agree, is inerrant. Yet whatever God says and however he says it, our interpretation of what God says will not be inerrant. This is the case whether we are talking about the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, Thomas Monson, what the Spirit reveals to you, or whatever. If we can affirm the inerrancy of what God says while admitting the errancy of our interpretation of what God says, then we can affirm the inerrancy of the Bible while admitting the errancy of our interpretation of the Bible. The only question is whether it is correct to say that what God says is to be found in the Bible.

To answer this we need to define inerrant. Does God telling others to Lie for him to get a king Killed and his purposes to be fulfilled constitute Innerrancy?

ElfLord,

Your question is not really asking for a definition of inerrant. It is a loaded-question fallacy masquerading as a serious objection to inerrancy.

Cite the specific biblical passage you have in mind, explain what you think it means and why, and we can discuss it.

To answer this we need to define inerrant. Does God telling others to Lie for him to get a king Killed and his purposes to be fulfilled constitute Innerrancy?

Archived