Grandin Press: Newly Re-set Classic LDS books

David T

http://grandinpress.com/

So far, they're offering a bunch of Pratt, BH Roberts, Talmage, Cowley, and Widtsoe. I like the design of the books. Will probably order from them once they go live (the site still appears to have a bunch of bugs).

I want it all, except the ones I own!hee, hee! they have little videos made with BYU Prof's discussing them

I was confused by their stance that many of these volumes were out of print, because at least half of them have received (modestly priced) recent printings within the last two decades or so. However, since many of those printings were through Signature Books, I guess they wanted them reprinted through a more "faithful" press.

The video commentary was entertaining. There were a few things that JF McConkie said that came across too historical fundamentalist to me, but everything thing else was well done. And it was good to see Andy Ehat get involved!

My only other quibble is I wish they included content lists for the "Classic Writings" volumes.

Regardless, this is a most worthwhile project, and I'm glad to see a lot of these in print. Parley Pratt's Key to the Science of Theology especially is a great choice--perhaps the most important post-JS book in the 19th century, which has oddly not been reprinted. I'm biased, but this book makes the project worthwhile in itself. (I do wonder, though, which edition of the book they are choosing to reprint, since there were some significant changes to it after Pratt died.)

Thanks for publicizing it!

I was confused by their stance that many of these volumes were out of print, because at least half of them have received (modestly priced) recent printings within the last two decades or so. However, since many of those printings were through Signature Books, I guess they wanted them reprinted through a more "faithful" press.

The video commentary was entertaining. There were a few things that JF McConkie said that came across too historical fundamentalist to me, but everything thing else was well done. And it was good to see Andy Ehat get involved!

My only other quibble is I wish they included content lists for the "Classic Writings" volumes.

Regardless, this is a most worthwhile project, and I'm glad to see a lot of these in print. Parley Pratt's Key to the Science of Theology especially is a great choice--perhaps the most important post-JS book in the 19th century, which has oddly not been reprinted. I'm biased, but this book makes the project worthwhile in itself. (I do wonder, though, which edition of the book they are choosing to reprint, since there were some significant changes to it after Pratt died.)

Thanks for publicizing it!

I too didn't quite agree with what all Bro. McConkie said like the part about their isn't a spirit or something in modern scholarship, like he and Bro. Millet have been writing modern scholarship, at least some of it! I was confused

I too didn't quite agree with what all Bro. McConkie said like the part about their isn't a spirit or something in modern scholarship, like he and Bro. Millet have been writing modern scholarship, at least some of it! I was confused

That was definitely the statement I was thinking about. It definitely seemed to be a jab at the "secular" academy--something he has railed against before.

Is everything they're doing public domain? Or are there more recent works as well?

While their prices might seem a tad high, it's encouraging to know that these books "carry an extra measure of the spirit" and will "stir the soul". I usually buy books that just have a regular measure of the spirit and do little, if any, soul stirring. So it's good that they clarified that so I know what I'm getting.

But hopefully we'll be able to keep the unofficial and non-doctrinal status of these books in mind with all that spirit measuring and soul stirring going on.

He's very consistent with both his father, and his grandfather (his namesake).

Sometimes it would be nice if the apple did fall far from the tree.

Stumbling across this thread on the web this afternoon was the highlight of my week. For the past six months Grandin has been anxiously engaged in modernizing these volumes with easy-to-read typesetting that will encourage readers of all ages to pick them up and turn each page. For better pricing please check out the link along the top "Package Savings" - the pricing drops $5 a book inside these offerings. Grandin Press has a very aggressive publishing schedule planned for 2011 that will involve new titles and projects that will segue nicely with this and other Forgotten Classic sets. Fill free to drop me a line with any questions - cto@grandinpress.com

Enjoy the weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

The website claims that the items should begin shipping, well, technically yesterday (November 21), but I'll give them that they meant Monday and not Sunday. I'm very much awaiting their arrival, and hope to see them on my doorstop very soon. If I don't get a notification later today that they've shipped, I'll send an email asking what the ETA is.

Archived